1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Argh! Grease stain on seats...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DaveG, Mar 6, 2005.

1. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was doing some maintenance in my condo last night and unbeknownst to me, managed to get some black grease from a parking gate all over the back of my jacket.

Of course I didn't notice until I had driven the Prius in to work... Grr..

The back of the driver's side seat has black grease stains all over it. This will really be a test of the fabric to see how well it will come out. I did some light cleaning with alcohol at work and it seems to have taken 75% or so out, but there are still spots.

Will continue and experiment with some mild soap and water and clean white cloth to see if I can gently work it out...

To be continued...

Dave

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dave:

Sorry to hear that.

I learned - the hard way like you - a *long* time ago that if I'm doing anything more complicated than vacuuming the floor, I put on coveralls.

And wear separate boots. And gloves. Also a Welder's Cap as I once got some grease in my hair and couldn't figure out why my headrest in my Prelude kept getting greasy ...

3. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, at least I did it to myself, which makes me feel better in a way - not nearly as bad as having someone else drop something on the car or make a mess inside :p

I'm fairly confident I can get the stains out though, from all reports I've read, the fabric is extremely high quality and resists stains (and cleans) well.

Dave

4. bobc

bobc New Member

Yeah,

Sorry to hear.

If you're still working the stain, try ethyl alcohol, followed with a rinse with water...

Good luck,

5. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It may be impossible to get it out completely. I have the same fabric on my sofa and it is warranted against food based stains but not petroleum based. As a last resort, and after thorough testing in an unseen area you might try lightly dampening a white cloth with carburetor cleaner and then remove that with dawn dishwashing detergent. Test first. I remove petroleum stains successfully sometimes from carpets and concrete this way.

6. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Update:

It actually came out better than I had hoped.

I used (in this order:)

-Isopropyl alcohol on a white cloth
    -gentle sponge/scrub with a damp cloth (this got 75% of the stain out)
    -Water
    -gentle scrub/dry again with cloth
    -Lemon/orange Environmentally friendly cleaning solution
    -gentle wiping with cloth
    -rinse with water and blot dry with white t-shirt

There are still a few very faint marks, but you'd never notice them unless I specifically pointed them out. I'll probably go take one more run at it tonight to see if I can get rid of the last little bit.

Dave

7. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Gotta love the Prius. Congrats. Don't try this in a chevy.

8. LisaMarli

LisaMarli Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Bookmarked! As mom with 15 year old son and grandma of 10, 6, and 3 year old boys, I Know I'm gonna need to clean the seats at some point.

Lisa

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Dave, I'll give the wife some cleaner that I use on the Prius and you can give it a try. It uses emzimes to disolve grease and works well. If you interested PM me here on PC.

10. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    You may want to try Dawn dishwashing liquid with some warm water and a sponge on the faint stains. I use it all the time for oil stains on my clothes (gee, that makes me sound like I splash when I eat!) and it always works. FYI, they use it on birds who get mucked up in oil spills, too!