1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Arghhh, someone backed into our new Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Northerner, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Northerner

Northerner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    We were sitting in our car at a drive-up window and a large SUV started backing toward us. In slow motion horror, it didn’t stop until we slammed on the horn. Too late, by then it scraped up and pushed in our passenger-side door.
    This is a very unique car (and color) in our area and brand new - perfect car (except the way it beeps when in reverse). I’m wondering now about auto-repair - how to get it back to perfect over the long term. I have no experience in auto body repair. Where should we take it, what should we say, etc... to make sure it is as good as new? The guy who hit us has insurance and is taking full responsibility.

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Where in the great Midwest are you located :whistle:?

If we have a better idea of a more specific locale, recommendations are tough ;).

A suction cup dent puller won't work, or a pic of the carnage:).

Good luck and keep us posted(y).

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Auto body guys are capable of wonderful work. Whether or not you have a good pro available to you is another question.

Local recommendations from friends & family should be valued over anything you read here. Good luck!

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I’ve never tried it but if it was me I would tell the insurance company the car is been violated and I intend on selling it so I should be reimbursed for diminished value. If you can get 1000 or two extra out of that, pocket it and run.

bisco likes this.
  5. Northerner

Northerner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I’m in a large metro area so there will be good auto repair shops available. Was thinking more about losing factory finish and encountering possible long term issues like rust on the repaired part. Should I accept a statement like, “Oh, we can buff that out and use a suction cup to pull out the crease.”
    There are two parts to my angst. First, this was my first new car since 2009 and that other car’s body was still perfect. Why this car, now?
    Second, I used to fix rust problems and small scratches back in the 90s, and they’d look pretty good for a while. But, inevitably the patched or buffed out areas would always reappear after a while in certain light. I’m sure the pros are way better.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you nail down the location just a bit more, we can come to your house and take a close look at it :p

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You're retired ;).

You've got nothing better to do:).

Road trip to the upper mid west metro areas (y).

bisco likes this.
  8. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    At least you were there when it happened. Unfortunately, my two experiences with my Prius being left damaged by someone who took off and left me with the cost and inconvenience of fixing their mistake has tainted my opinion of humankind.

Sarge, Prius Maximus and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Aren't you near the city of "brotherly love":whistle:?

Must be how it's done there(y).

10. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If you think 55 miles away is near, then yeah.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is in the midwest :cool:

12. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We had repairs to our front bumper a few months ago. We worked through the Toyota dealer from who we bought the Prime and who has its own associated body shop.

They put things good as new and worked with us to keep the repair cost down so that it would not exceed the amount which would cause our insurance carrier to increase our future premium. (The damage was our fault. We hit a rock concealed by high grass next to a driveway at a friend's country house.)

The only snag we ran into was that the shop ordered the wrong bumper. The 2017 Prime "advanced trim" has a fog lights which result in a slightly different front end configuration. This slowed down completion of the repair by about a week while they re-ordered the correct part. Fortunately, our insurance covered the cost of a rental car.

Because "the guy who hit us has insurance and is taking full responsibility", I'd recommend that you work with your Toyota dealer. Even if the dealer does not have its own body shop, it likely has a shop with which it has a relationship. Most body shops have extensive experience working with insurance companies and their adjusters. Your body shop has incentive to get all of the necessary repairs done in the best (and, for them, most profitable) way.

Also, because your Prime is new, you should insist on OEM Toyota parts and not after-market or re-manufactured parts.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Whether or not they'll comply with that might depend on the particulars of your insurance.

#13 Mendel Leisk, Mar 15, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  14. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry about the accident. I hope you will get it fixed right. I would check local reviews on the body shop you plan to use and make sure they are well equipped professional body shop. Depending on how the insurance handles, they may ask you to use a particular shop for the work, but I would suggest checking several options on your own. Most professional body shops do an extremely good job of repainting body parts, but if you have to replace any parts, insist on using OEM parts not cheap aftermarket.

Good luck.

15. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I actually bought a dash cam about 7 years ago because I was frustrated with all the hit and runs on my car... mostly door damage, but *serious* dents... had two different ones between 9-12” in length...

Ever since I have had the cameras, I have not had a single significant mark (just one or two that are barely visible). Good karma I guess.

Sounds like it may not have helped with this particular situation since it came from the side, but may have caught the vehicle coming or going.

Interesting story... 3 years ago my wife and I met at Walmart on a particularly windy day, and I always park nose to nose when doing so allowing my dash cam to watch both cars... this incident was a pair of runaway carts that hit both our cars minutes apart in almost identical fashion. She initially thought she saved her car, and only realized she got it on the rebound the next morning when she discovered 4” dent/scratch on her car.

Leaf -

Prius (turn up your sound, @ 0:49) -

Interestingly, the Prius had a light scuff that basically wiped off, while the Leaf took much worse damage. The paint on that car is terrible, so delicate. But I digress....

16. Northerner

Northerner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Not only were we in the car with a third passenger, but we were at a drive up window. The guy in the window watched it happen. Afterwards he even said they have a camera that caught it on video.

KennyGS, Sarge and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, if you come to the Midwest stay 3 feet away from each other. We might be able to give you a complimentary roll of toilet paper.

18. Northerner

Northerner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Just a follow up - the car was repaired for $1800 and looks perfectly new again. I was surprised by the cost and asked about it. It turned out that they had to take apart the door, take off the name plate, and remove the molding for the front and back door windows in order to get a space big enough to blend the new paint (magnetic blue) with the old paint. The name plate and molding parts all needed to be ordered new by Toyota’s own recommendation because you have to ruin them to remove them.

huskers, Sarge, benagi and 3 others like this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    glad to hear she's good as new!(y)