1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Arguments for superiority of hybrids

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by nudriver, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I didn't say the Civic was cheaper to own.

I said that claims "Prius has fewer maintenance items" is false...... in fact the Prius has 1-2 extra maintenance items versus (most) nonhybrid cars. The battery/inverter cooling system is 1 difference. Flushing trans fluid is the 2nd (some nonhybrid cars have lifetime fill.

I would probably recommend a Nissan Versa or Ford Fiesta over a Prius C or insight. No matter how much gas you save, I don't think you'll eclipse the upfront savings of a $13,000 or $12,000 car.

For midsize the $16,000 Focus hatch is nice and much much less than a Prius or Civic or any other hybrid.

2. TomB985

TomB985 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're probably right about the end cost Troy. But the Prius is a midsize car, and my family really likes the extra room compared to a compact. It doesn't have to be the rock bottom cheapest thing on the road to be a good decision, and so far I'm happy with that.

3. dj2big

dj2big Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What's a hybrid flush?
    Is it required to do?
    How much is it?

Btw I am doing very will with my new Prius just had my windows tinted looks good :)

[​IMG]

iPhone ?

usnavystgc likes this.
  4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You're doing great dj2big. :)

A hybrid flush is flushing the cooling system for the hybrid components (ie inverter). It is part of your maintenance schedule. I'm not sure what the requirement for the Gen III is.