1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ArmorAll or not?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Palmetto, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Palmetto

Palmetto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This question has probably been asked before, so, sorry for a possible repeat thread.

I was thinking about using ArmorAll on the black plastic skirt around the front and rear of the vehicle. Also was going to use ArmorAll on the plastic at the base of the windshield.

Is this the best choice? Does anybody use any other products they recommend-

Thank you,
    Jeffrey :)

2. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jeffrey -- I have to be totally honest. I haven't found a single product that protected any of the black plastic on my car. It has slowly turned that unmistakable dull grey over the years. This is especially true of the areas around where the side view mirrors attach to the A-pillars. I had used special waxes, special UV protectors and none of it helped. I guess sunlight just really does slowly eat at the constitution of plastics, squeezing every last bit of its natural oils out.

3. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use Zaino all over.

4. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use Mothers Back-to-Black on those parts as well as on the B-pillars and windshield wiper area. Still nice black and glossy, I'll take some pictures for you tonight when i wash it.

5. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Jeffrey - I use Armorall on the black plastic at the base of the windshield. Looks good! :) I tried Mothers Back to Black on the black exterior trim. It seemed a little better.

Marvinh

6. Palmetto

Palmetto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the replies.

I'll investigatie this Mother's back to black product. :thumb:

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Tried Armorall only once it it was awful. Gave the Armorall to my nephew for his GM.

I use Meguiar's now.

8. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

GOOD MOVE! Meguiars is the way to go. I bought the Mothers back before Meguiars had the GC Trim Detailer so I dont want to trash somethin thats working but nothing except Meguiars touches my Prius or my moms G35.

9. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The ArmorAll won't hurt anything, but its not going to protect the trim from UV damage, it will just make the trim look better until it washes off. Back to Black works for a while, but once the trim is faded...its faded.

What you should use if you're concerned about UV protection is 303 Aerospace Protectant.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Palmetto,

I used some Armor All on the interior and exterior trim of my car. Although it can make it look very shiny, I did not like the very slick and greasy feeling at all. I don't trust the product much and won't use it again.

I tried some Meguiar's interior cleaner and it was much less greasy and slick looking. I trust their product much more. They have an extrerior trim dressing as well.

I have not seen the 303 protectant in common auto parts stores.

11. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    the texture of the black plastic makes cleaning/dusting the dashboard a pain, so i just use water, and don't use armor all

i usually park in the garage

12. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, I haven't tried this on the outside yet... I use it on the dashboard, and it is FABULOUS!
    Thanks for reminding me!

To find it, do a Google search. There's a sample pack which is amazingly generous.

13. maseace

maseace Prius enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I saw 303 protectant at Schuck's Auto Supply, aka Kragen or Checker in other states. It works great on interior plastic as well as exterior, and is used to keep clear plastic lenses from fading (headlights and taillights). It makes the black plastic underbody trim and mudguards look nice and black. I also use it on the windshield wiper blades (keeps 'em from cracking), the plastic trim below the windshield, the antenna, and the rubber door lock buttons.

14. badrufus

badrufus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I used Griot's Garage Bumper and Trim Reconditioner for the same problem on my old 4Runner. It's a black dye, and it worked on 9-year old faded plastic quite well. I followed it with Griot's Garage Vinyl and Rubber Dressing, which is what I use on my 08 Prius now. The B&T Reconditioner is the only product I know that is designed to restore faded plastic. It made a pretty amazing difference on the old car, and lasted until I traded the 4Runner in for the Prius, probably over a year.

www.griotsgarage.com under "Car Maintenance" then "Restoration"

15. warrior

warrior New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Don't laugh; but I use liquid black shoe polish. Works just great!!!

16. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been using the 303 Protectorant for about 20 years now. I find it to be superior to Armor All. My old motorcycle tires had tire rot from premature aging. I was using Armor All at the time, and found this product did not offer any UV protection at all.

I tried using 303 Protectorant - tires last a lt longer with no brak down of the sidewalls of the tires. I apply this to all my vehicles 3 - 4 times a year.

I usually get this product at Campers' World.

Dbcassidy

17. penquin230

penquin230 "Golden Hawk"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I found a product that worked great on dark plastic products. It's called Armor-Dillo TS1.It was developed for use on Chevy Avalanche cargo cover and body cladding. Had a friend use some on a faded red Honda Del Sol EV conversion and others thought he got a new paint job.Just rubbed in on and buff out. Last along time.

18. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh yes it can! It is silicone oil. And it can soften paint. It will also vaporize off your dash and other interior vinyl and then collect on the inside of your glass. Ick. 303 won't do that!

Total agreement there!

That's because it isn't a common product. :) Most folks don't want to spend the extra for the right stuff, so it doesn't show up in regular stores too often. Well worth the effort to track it down though.

If what you want to protect is shiny, then use the same was you use on your paint. If it is more rubbery than shiny, then use 303. Inside, outside, everywhere.

19. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Best product I have ever found to protect the plastic on any car is under cover parking.

20. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    To be better than 303, you'd have to take your covered parking with you when you drive around as well. Slightly less convenient.