1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Armrest trim install- Better results next time.........

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Montgomery, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, let me say, my attempt at layering leather over the armrest on the doors was adequate. As a result, I will post pictures and make the following suggestions for those who wish to attempt this as well:

It is my opinion that after removing the armrest insert, that you use the armrest insert as a template. Press in the arm area so that it is flush with the insert and draw your template. The end result of the cut must be as close to the original fabric as possible, otherwise you will be seriously frustrated. Why? because any extra material gets in the way of putting it back in. And cutting while gluing for me was a joke. Hey, I'm an amateur at this anyway!

Removing the melted rivets? A complete disaster for me! Wound up using my biggest straight edge screw driver and a hammer!

The recommended screws and washer was spot on! You will need them for the re-installation.

And lastly, If you do the above, it actually is better to use a fast acting glue. Something fast, tacky and strong. The glue recommended takes too long to stick, and as you try to affix one area, the other area slides free. It would be easier to just start from the center of the insert and work your way out, smoothing the leather as you go till you get to the edges. Then all you have to do is trim the edges and your done.

Anyone ever burn your arm or hand on the lower level door light?....................LoL

So, here is my sloppy first attempt-

Attached Files:

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    You can use a heat gun to worry the crinkles out

3. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What I am going to do is remove my first cut and use it as a template. It was rough going first time around. Thanks for the heat gun idea.

4. CosbyComedy

CosbyComedy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I feel your pain. I recovered the same area of my doors. The number one issue is the plastic rivets. The second will be whatever material you choose. I like the way it will look once you get it figured out. Practice, patience, research!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. DG Bear

DG Bear Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had to replace the trim on one of my 2010 Prius cars... the 300K+ mileage / cab usage took it's toll on the material (and the rivets holding the arm rest).

I tried using the heavier (leather like) material and had similar results.
    The material is hard (if not impossible to stretch) over the associated area. Hear gun helped but in the end I could not get it to my liking. I guess it also depends on the material you purchase.

I went back to the fabric store and purchased some fabric headliner material that made the job much easier and looked great. The headliner material was easy to stretch and it looked like the Toyota original. My car had the fabric interior.

I used a soldering gun to melted out the original rivets. What screws did you use in place of the original rivets?
    I used a glue to replace the heads on the rivets. I find this glue / filler material useful for many projects - Q-Bond Repair Kit (search Amazon).

6. CosbyComedy

CosbyComedy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used metal screws and washers. Various sizes and head shapes. I've had this "deep gunmetal Jumanji" simulated leather for about 10,000 miles and it seems to be holding up perfectly. We'll see about the Ohio winter tho...

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.