1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Arrested battery spy

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Mar 23, 2024.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Because of paywall, more details: U.S. Accuses Two Men of Stealing Tesla Trade Secrets - The New York Times

A Canadian man who lives in China was arrested Tuesday and held in New York after he and a business partner were accused of trying to sell secret battery manufacturing technology belonging to Tesla.

Federal prosecutors in Brooklyn asked a judge to hold Klaus Pflugbeil without bail on a charge of theft of trade secrets. He was arrested after meeting with undercover agents Tuesday on Long Island and trying to sell them technology used to produce battery parts, the office of the U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of New York said in a statement.

The second man, Yilong Shao, 47, a Chinese citizen, remains at large, prosecutors said.
    . . .
    Mr. Pflugbeil and Mr. Shao are both former employees of Hibar Systems, a Canadian company that sold technology for battery manufacturing that Tesla acquired in 2019. They had access to drawings and other documents that allowed others to copy the manufacturing process, according to prosecutors.

After the sale of Hibar, the men formed a company that tried to sell the firm’s technology via ads on Google, posts on LinkedIn and a YouTube video, according to court documents. They were aware the technology was proprietary, prosecutors said.
    . . .

The sale of Tesla 2019 battery technology seems somewhat dated. But it is "proprietary" which even if dated is the crime. As for their marketing strategy, they should be arrested from severe incompetence . . . if proven in court.

Bob Wilson

2. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    If criminals were smart law enforcement would be out of a job. Play stupid games...win stupid prizes..

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    #3 hill, Mar 23, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Patents and trade secrets are different things. A patent is an idea. A trade secret includes the time and labor to develop a salable product.

Bob Wilson

5. ColoradoCrow

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes and the R and D can cost millions...hey Bob check your messages.I Pm'd you.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Even so, wouldn't those Trade Secrets be more accessible at the facility where the stolen data would ultimately end up? After all .... Tesla already has a facility/factory there, in that very country. And that country is one of the top in NOT convicting procurers & users of stolen data, trademark, trade secrets, copyright, & patents.
    Watching for just 3 minutes g their theft can truly make you laugh.

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. ColoradoCrow

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I finally Just Started a conversation. Hopefully that will go through.

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That factory is using batteries made in that country by local companies.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Wondering if the data was going to BYD or some other manufacturer .....

10. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A patent might be something like use these 6 materials in certain percentages to make a battery.
    The trade secret could be the machine needed to mix them in order needed to combine them and the right temperture

Mike