1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Arrow going to charging battery nearly all the time?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by GaryHere, Mar 31, 2016.

1. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Meant to post this for a while but on both the Prii C's I have owned, I mostly only see the arrow on the HSI going towards the battery and not the other way to assist the engine. My wife watched it while I drove the last 2 days and it never went to the engine except when driving in EV.

On my regular size Prius I had, I saw it going to the engine way more than the C,

Does anyone else notice this? Is it normal? I always thought the batterys purpose was to assist the ICE to get better MPG, aka hybrid.

Thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they operate the same way, but i would be more concerned with mpg's and the battery icon.

3. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You got a point there:)

I just thought there was possibly something wrong with it because on the full Prius just glancing at it, it was always a mixture of arrows going left to the engine and right to the battery however it's not the case I've seen on the C's.

I guess it's fine, mpg was 55 yesterday with hills, towns, 60mph driving of 30 miles total

Thanks for the reply

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you press and release the go pedal, the arrow should keep going back and forth. when you're holding the pedal steady, it depends on the driving conditions. i realize you know this, but maybe someone who has had both models will jump in with their insights.

5. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Think I'll look closer today at it but pretty sure it still stayed pointing to the battery, odd.

The joys of buying used As Is cars.

bisco likes this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If your full size Prius is a Gen2, please note that the energy arrow display on the Gen3 is significantly less useful. The HSI display is much better.

7. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    thanks will check that

Seems the car was sitting at the dealer for a long time so I do not know if that affected the arrows and battery and also the MPG which were horrid the first few days and now seem to be back at what I am used to seeing on a C.

Yesterday with hills and 65mpg then some small town cruising at 35mph, got 61.4MPG from a 15mile trip, not bad at all....

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base