1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Article: Who owns your car's software?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mendel Leisk, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  2. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My project is walking the line then. I'm just glad the 1967 Firebird part of my project car didn't originally have any electronics at all outside of a few transistors in the AM radio.

Bill the Engineer

3. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I don't remember signing or accepting an End User License Agreement (EULA) when I bought my car.
    It's all mine, MINE I tell ya... :mad:

valde3 and bisco like this.
  4. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You make a very good point. There is no verbiage in the sales agreement that you sign when you buy a new car that addresses ownership of the car's software. That may change in the future. If that day comes, selling a used car could get really complicated.

I can imagine future lawsuits similar to the foreclosure mess some years ago, where lawyers force the car companies to show that they are the actually true owners of the software in question. I think they are not in many cases.

Bill the Engineer

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that article is garbage for 99.999% of the driving public. it means nothing. when i owned my small business, we bought a computer system that required annual license payments per user. the hardware was pretty straight forward, depending on what kind of service you wanted, and you can get it just about anywhere. the proprietary software was different, and you were at the mercy of the developer, unless you trusted someone else to tinker with it. the biggest issue was always copying microsoft for more employees without paying the users fee.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Haven't a clue really what it means, or how it would be implemented, but I like the idea of running a "check sum" on the software, on a potential used vehicle purchase.