1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"as is" in the sales ad scares me.Help &Encouragement please?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by imOCD4a_prius, Jun 24, 2012.

1. imOCD4a_prius

imOCD4a_prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    HI all you 'lucky' Prius owners:
    After hours & hours of checking out So. fl pre-owned Prius for sale 'deals', from "Toyota" dealerships--I keep finding in the SMALL PRINT= "AS IS."
    Even on many "Certified pre owned" vehicles. This really puts me in doubt as to thier credibility
    YES, I've DL'd all the Car Faxs -looked thru detailed & for reg. maintenance, oil & filter changes etc.
    It just seems, dealers want their markup & I'll get the old-curb to the street warrante.
    I'm STILL reading the HOW to buy a used car library here--'til my eyes go buggy.
    My wife says 'don't buy'....wait. I need to save on gas like all of you-YET, a major repair would kill me.
    Somebody have anything positive to offer PLEASE ?? THANKS...DJ (7amSunday 6-24-12)

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If a major repair really would "kill" you then you'll need to listen to your wife and defer the purchase. The "as-is" condition, unless modified by warranty terms, means you are on your own with regards to failures.

The good news is that Prius is generally reliable. The bad news is that an individual car for sale may be available due to a problem, so have the car inspected by a competent Prius tech before purchase.

imOCD4a_prius likes this.
  3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    An adding to Patrick's comments, even a Prius in perfect shape can suddenly suffer a four digit failure. Prius are very reliable, so it's not likely, but any Prius at any point can have a transaxel failure, inverter failure, HV battery failure, or one of several other systems, each of which will be very expensive to replace. It's really not that different from any modern car: they are more reliable than cars from the old days, but a single failure can be costly.

Tom

4. imOCD4a_prius

imOCD4a_prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    THanks to Patrick & qbee42--for the quick replys. May I assure you I have read the *have the car inspected by a competent Prius tech before purchase" in other newbie posts.
    Your addition pros & cons of looking ONLY into "certified" pre owned please ???

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't really understand what 'as is' means on a certified. go over the cerified warranty with the sales and service managers together. 'as is' should not apply to anything covered by the warranty during the warranty. outside of and after the warranty period, if anything goes wrong, you're s.o.l. just like a non certified or private sale. the 'as is' is probably just a cya in case you threaten a lawsuit.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I find it hard to believe that there are used Prius on Toyota dealer lots without warranties. The balance of the factory warranty is still in effect unless the car was damaged. If the cars you are looking at are older than 10 years & exceed 150000 miles then save up until you can afford a new one. If you are buying privately then the car is "as-is" from the seller but still carries the balance of the factory warranty.

Read New car buying guide, avoiding dealer scams, new cars, used car buying for their opinion on Certified Used Car programs.

7. imOCD4a_prius

imOCD4a_prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    9:10pm Sunday 6-24-12
    bisco & JimN, Thanks4 taking the time 2 answer--Next time I'll include a URL or at least C & P the "AS IS" hidden among the 'Standard Features" column. Again, I'm in search of (anyone remember that show ?) In search of a single-owner 70K miles or less "P" betwen '06-'08 for around 16,000$ out the door. AM I NUTz or just crazy ? I hope u all have had a good weekend. In my part of Fl-gas prices are FALLING ($3.19 1 hr ago according to GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada). Hey, w/God's help so will the prices of Gen2. :) (I can dream can't I ?) Ciao, DJ

8. imOCD4a_prius

imOCD4a_prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ********What's a fair (yes I typed FAIR ;) price I should expect to pay a Toyota teck to "scout" a car ?
    could we be talking the approx. hourly rate of 80-90$/hr ? or, the price to stick a computer reader into the correct 'input' ?? As a guy who has an ( A+ PC cert. 4 what that's worth) I'd have NO PROBLEMS buying the RIGHT READER--if SOMEONE here advised me which was the best to get. Then, I could get the codes...find a pgm --I'm sure YOU know Mr WONG already--use that program to decipher the car's condition.
    I can surely be up for THAT investment. Thanks, DJ

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    depends on the mileage of course but i would think you should be able to find something with around 50-60,000 miles for that kind of money. certified will cost you more, but there's nothing wrong with a good clean car from a private seller. as jim said, you always get the factory warranty. although it only covers hybrid components and there are some expensive systems that fall outside that definition. check to see if your state was a carb state in the year the car was originally sold. then it gets the 10/150 over the 8/100. all the best!

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you'll probably pay 150-200 bucks for a good inspection, but they're not likely to find the lurking defect that might cost you a few thousand to repair. but as patrick said, these cars are very reliable, you really have to hit the unlucky lottery to get a lemon. a good inspection will tell you if there's been an accident and what the ramifications are and possibly any lack of standard maintenance which isn't much.

11. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The definition "Certified" may vary from dealer to dealer. Ask to see the check-list that the technician goes over when "certifying" the car. It could be as simple as kicking the tires, flipping on the lights and wipers, and making sure the A/C blows cold, no more.

Either way, an inspection will only tell you what's wrong with the car, as bisco stated above. An inspection can NOT tell you what will go wrong with the car in the future. There is no crystal ball here.

Even to tell if maintenance has been deferred, you'd have to tear the heads off and have the cylinders inspected, have the fluids analyzed, etc. All things that would rack up many hundreds of dollars... which you wouldn't do on a $10k car that you might not buy.

On the cheap, you can tell a lot more about a car by inspecting the previous owner(s) than by inspecting the car itself.

imOCD4a_prius and bisco like this.
  12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the "as is" statement is required for any pre-owned vehicle sold here. it also helps to remove any confusion including any warranty coverage for anyone other than the original owner

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you are a AAA member have you looked for a car through their website? The problem with pricing used cars is that they are all different. Are you going to be happy with a car on the lower end of the options list or are you going to want everything?

Any idiot can plug a ScanGauge into the OBD port & I'd be surprised if a car for sale displays a code. The purpose of the inspection is to look for things that don't look right. Is there gunk where it shouldn't be? Is something clean that would normally be dirty? Is there rust underneath the deck? Is there overspray?

I agree with maestro. I'd trust Felix Unger's car had regular maintenance before I'd believe Oscar Madison's did.

I also agree that anything can fail at any time without warning. I may have zero indication of a problem for 60000 miles and the inverter coolant pump can fail on you before you get the title to the DMV office.

There's nothing wrong with buying used cars. Every one of us drives one. The key is to pay a fair price for the one you want.