1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

As much as I love it, I'll have to sell it

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Doody, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Doody

Doody Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Guys, I bought this 2010 Prius V with Nav and I drove it for 500 miles so far and I love the car but I really think it's not for me, so I went back to driving a lexus.

I thought about it for almost a week now and I made the decision to sell it and I know I will loose money but I have to do what I have to do, so before I offer it back to the dealer, I thought I'll let you all know if someone would be interested in it. It's a blizzard pearl V with Nav. Thanks.

2. RickFlashman

RickFlashman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am just amazed at how someone can make such a major financial commitment and then just walk away at a loss. Simply amazing.

3. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I too have a Blizzard V with Nav, so I am not seeking to buy it, but curious to know what you are asking for it?

Why do you say that this car is not for you? What was wrong with the driving experience?

4. Doody

Doody Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I really don't know how much yet, I called the dealer and I'm waiting on him to call me back with what he can offer. ANd I will just sell it to the highest offer. Thanks.

5. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  6. Doody

Doody Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
  7. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I understand that you are not hurting for money, good for you. I work with a lot of traders and many of them can afford to do the same thing too.

What I am trying to understand is why you do not like the Prius. Was it something specific that you did not like (ride quality, sound quality, comfort, interior size, etc...)?

8. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    We live in an increasingly impulsive society. See it, buy it. Why else do you think GM has started selling cars on ebay?

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  10. Doody

Doody Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II

The only reason I have to sell it for is something I should have read in the specs before I buy it which is the load capacity. When I bought it I was planning on using it for work as I travel a lot and before I do that I looked in the manual for the load limit and because I work in the oil field controls, simply I'll have to carry at least 600 to 800 Ibs between control panels and tools and there is no way the prius can do that.

11. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think you can still do it, you'll just get worse fuel economy.

Think about it, four fat Americans are over 800 lbs.

2 people like this.
  12. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That would be 4 *average* americans. Fat Americans weight a *lot* more. :eek:

13. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    "Over" is the key word here.

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    20% loss for driving it off the lot ? That is common wisdom. I'll be curious to hear if it is true.

15. Dirk Lerxst

Dirk Lerxst New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the load is in addition to passenger capacity, not TOTAL capacity, so if it's just you, it can handle much higher than that. The car has to be designed to handle the 5 adults that it seats, and that's definitely going to be higher than 600 pounds. So consider the weight of how many people you are carrying and then add the additional 600-800 lbs.

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I think Dirk is right. If memory serves me, gross weight is with passengers. The G3 Prius' curb weight is 3042. I wasn't able to find a reported gross weight for the car, but the difference between curb and gross weight for the G2 Prius is 863 pounds. Note that this passenger load is unrelated to additional cargo weight allowances.

I don't think OP has any problem at all, if lugging around ~600 pounds is the only question along with a somewhat normal sized driver..

17. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

From the '05 manual (should be similar to the '10): Cargo capacity = Total load capacity - Total weight of Occupants. For the '05, the Total load capacity was 825 lbs. But, even with a 200 lb driver it can still handle another 625 lbs. according to the manual. Of course, you can probably look up past threads where people have carried much more than that. Not that they should of course.

18. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If your gross weight is correct then the 863 would be the total design load allowance including the weight of any passengers and the driver. There is no way they can design a car for a certain weight plus the weight of the passengers since they don't know how many or how big they are.

19. SanAntonio Joe

SanAntonio Joe New Member

Model:
    IV
    Doody,

Check to see what they are selling for on autotrader or cars-dot-com.

You should get 100% of what you paid for it, minus any sales taxes and registration fees. These cars are NOT depriciating!

Joe

20. Doody

Doody Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II

Well, I just got a call back from the dealer and they said that they would give me $29200 for it and I told him that I'll have to think about it then he said to let him know before I give it to anybody else. I paid almost $32000 for it.