1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

As Much As I Love My Car, I'm Starting To Hate It!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by shawnb2, Nov 2, 2009.

1. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Pretty hard to do if the average speed of the flow of traffic is 5 mph over the speed limit, which is technically breaking the California Basic Speed law anyway.

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The most aggressive driving I have encountered in a *long* time happened this week when I wanted to cross an access road of a freeway. I didn't cross on any old green, but pushed the 'cross' button, and waited for the pedestrian green. I stepped into the road and made eye contact with driver after driver, but one car after another stepped on the gas and swerved around me. I was getting mad, and had it in mind to pick up a rock and *dare* the next turkey to try preventing me from crossing. As it happened though, a big truck turned, taking up both lanes. This stopped the flow of traffic, and I crossed.

I'm sure 'picking on a Prius' happens, but encountering asshats is a lot more common.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have just read all the posts on the thread, quite an insight (no pun intended). You may be surprised to know there are "why does everyone hate us" threads on the BMW forums (and probably most other car forums) as well.

The problem isn't so much what kind of vehicle you drive, although I admit smaller cars do make us feel more vulnerable, it's a general lack of manners and civility.

If you want a better world teach your children better manners.

4 people like this.
  4. Croft

Croft New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the UK Police cars on the motorway tend to drive about 60mph, 10 mph below the speed limit. As a considerable proportion of the traffic typically travels at 80-90mph, if they were to go at 70mph there would be a huge log jam behind them! This allows for a flow of traffic past them, all rigidly at 70, then slowly speed up again! Works surprisingly well.

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting. Our cops usually travel 5 to 10 above. Cars are usually jammed up around them as they travel. Of course if they are getting off work than they are traveling 10 to 20 above.

6. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed, very interesting. If you see cops driving at speed limit in our hwys, you better not pass it...

7. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I apologize if this perspective has been covered before as this is a really long thread and I may have missed something but I can't help but wonder how much of the hostility is due to the Prius being a foreign car.

A couple of years ago when gas prices went through the roof and I was driving my Gen II Prius, a coworker who was driving the same 45 mile commute asked me if I wanted to carpool. Since I had the more fuel efficient car I offered to do all of the driving and she just pays me for half of the two gallons of gas we use each day.

A few months ago when I bought my Gen III my 'carmate' remarked about how my buying another import hurts U.S. auto makers and costs jobs. To make matters worse, she was riding to work in my brand new car when she made the remark! At the time I decided to take the high road and we had a civilized but brief conversation about the lower reliability, quality, fuel efficiency, etc. of U.S. made cars and in the end we both agreed to disagree. In retrospect I sometimes regret not telling her to go back to driving her U.S. made gas hog back and forth to work every day.

8. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well said. What bothers me sometimes is that people criticizing purchase of Foreign-brand cars (not necessarily built overseas) spend lots of money buying Chinese stuff from big chain stores... the difference is that a car is a more obvious target but the average people in this country spend far more money on goods made overseas compared to cars.

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    yadax3, I enjoyed your post :)
    I actually agree with your car mate, to the extent that *all other things being equal*, buying local is a good idea. But as you are well aware, US cars cannot come close to a Prius. I wonder what your passenger would have said to a question whether buying foreign oil is good for the US economy and security ?

10. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's funny you mention that because I do make a concerted effort to avoid buying anything made in China if I can help it. Granted, sometimes I don't even know I'm doing it but I have no problem paying more for most U.S. made goods. There are sometimes political and other considerations, but most of my buying decisions are based on quality.

11. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is bigger than a Prius.

You were put in a difficult situation when a tackless person asked you to carpool. I wonder if there was a polite way to turn it down - I can't think of any. You can't win. If it is not one thing, it is going to be another.

See it for what it is. Jealousy. She was picking a fight. She is going to pick another fight. She is upset at you for being able to buy a new car.

There are many things we all could have, should have done. If we all lose weight, stop smoking, get fit, live on top of the office, save all our salary, we would be a greater country and with a decreased health care bill, be even more competitive and use a lot less gas since we live on top of the office, with an extremely low interest rate since we are all saving. So almost all of us are not helping the situation. It was just an excuse.

12. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I believe I would have taken that route, but stated it nicely without mentioning the gas hog issue

13. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There is a lot more to the cost of ownership than the gasoline. You were far too generous anyway. She should pay for all the gas if you're driving 100% and paying the payment, insurance, and all maintenance.

1 person likes this.
  14. lawboy

lawboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I used to have a bit of a heavy foot, but since I had my first kid, I made a point to never drive over the speed limit (unless on an urban freeway, where driving the limit would put me in danger). Even when my kids are not in the car, their car seats serve as a reminder to set a good example, drive safely, and stick to the speed limit. While driving my 2001 Ford Escape, I would encounter a steady flow of idiot drivers, but no more so than in any other car.

Since getting my Prius in late August, it is obvious that I've become a target. Big SUV's and pickups will go out of their way to accelerate up to my bumper, quickly swerve around me, and then do their best to shave off the front of my car with their rear wheels. I have not changed my driving style one bit, other than to anticipate braking a little better. My problems usually occur on the highway (not interstates), where I am driving the speed limit of 70. I have even passed some trucks going the speed limit, merged back into the right lane after passing, then have the Prius nearly run off the road by the same truck, suddenly now wanting to do 90 mph.

1 person likes this.
  15. Jimmre

Jimmre New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My thoughts exactly!

16. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quite a few "proudly made in USA" items are put together from
    offs(w)hored parts...
    _H*

17. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So who is the bigger fool?
    Did you learn to drive in Adelaide?
    Although I hate people who pass then push in to turn it is just easier and safer to let them do it. They will be gone in a few seconds anyway.

18. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, I am just an ignorant Aussie but can you please explain what a speed limit is?

The rest of your post I agree with to varying degrees but this line highlighted above I struggle with.

19. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There are two types of speed limits (using California laws, but I think most states are simliar):

Speed limits and Maximum Speed limits.

Speed limits are typically on surface streets and are supposed to reflect the 85th percentile speed of cars driving on the road - in other words, 85% of the traffic in good conditions should be travelling at this speed. This limit can be lowered because of road conditions - eg, residential, commercial, poor visibility, etc. In theory, if conditions allow you can legally exceed this limit, but officers if monitoring will typically ticket you if doing much more than 5mph over the limit.

Maximum speed limits are typically posted on highways. Legally, you are never supposed to exceed this limit. But again, typically you can get away with 5-10 mph over the limit without getting a ticket.

Telling someone to always exceed the limit is a load of ****. If someone wants to travel at the speed limit without holding up traffic, there is no reason to break the law to make other people "happy". If they are holding up traffic, they should pull over when safe (either moving right or using a turn-off) to allow faster vehicles to pass (regardless of whether or not they want to go faster than the limit!). In the mean time, those faster vehicles should learn some damn manners and be patient!

2 people like this.
  20. TalkingMuffin

TalkingMuffin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Oh give me a break.

First of all, traveling the speed limit, you ARE holding up traffic!!! Now, if no one is behind you, go ahead. Drive 20 in a 45 if you want, no one cares. But don't pretend like going 45 in a 45 is acceptable when there is traffic behind you that can't pass. It's NOT.

Speed limits in this country are antiquated and obsolete rules. They were instituted in the 1970's during the gas crisis. Cars are 100x safer and more capable now, so the safety argument doesn't fly. And we are not (currently) in a gas crisis, so don't even begin to argue that.

There is no cop IN THE COUNTRY that will give you a ticket for going 5mph over the limit. Most won't give you a ticket for going 15mph over the limit.

So enough with the semantics. Going 50 or 55 in a 45mph zone will not kill you or anyone else, nor will you get a ticket. So get off your white horse and speed up.

That, or you deserve to get run off the road and get your @$$ kicked.