1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

As some automakers advertise that conventional gas cars better than hybrids, Consumer Reports hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Re: As some automakers advertise that conventional gas cars better than hybrids, Consumer Reports hy

Not "unattainable". If you look here
    CleanMPG, - Garage An authoritative source on fuel economy and hypermiling
    you'll see Elantras and Corollas, many 20-30% above EPA.

It really depends how & where the car is being driven.

2. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: As some automakers advertise that conventional gas cars better than hybrids, Consumer Reports hy

Maybe not unattainable but not easy either.

Maybe its better to not tune to EPA so people can regularly exceed EPA.

People on Fuelly average 45mpg for the Prius which is very good and very respectable but under EPA.

People on Fuelly average 36mpg with both Fiesta and Yaris which is not only good but exceeding EPA.

I personally average 45 and 30 respectively (Prius and Fiesta) with mostly city driving.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

The 2010 Prius shows 47mpg on Fuelly and the 2011 is at 49mpg. :)

4. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A

Sorry I must've glanced at 09.

With 3.1 million miles tracked on the 2010 it is probably safe to say the total will drop a bit for the 11s.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I agree. :) It is still nearly 10mpg better than the competition. Especially the Golf and Jetta!

6. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A

There is really no substitue for no idle gas usage. I hate sitting at lights in the Fiesta just watching the MPGs drop.

Christy said she had to sit at a light for nearly 3 minutes the other day and lost a full mpg doing it.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

They don't explain their math. Remember math tests. Show your work.
    A person with just basic math knowledge, most Americans, coming across the page just listing the most fuel efficient cars, will be scratching their heads. Some will conclude CR is up to funny business.

Yes, a manufacturer can engineer for the EPA test. Doing so for CR tests would be near impossible because of all the variables.

Above freezing, no high winds, and dry pavement still leave a lot of wiggle room. The EPA uses a lab formula gas. My local summer blend is good for at least a 2 mpg improvement in my non-hybrid. What is CR using?

They use two drivers, but instructions of drive like a typical person will give a range of styles. After two years behind the wheel of the Prius, I would constantly need to remind myself not to drive efficiently for their test.

There might be drawbacks to the EPA test, but is performed consistently and allows reliable comparison between models.

8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Force auto stop(FAS) can be your friend.

9. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A

There is no way in hell I would do that in Atlanta.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

^^ Fuel rationing is coming to a hell near you.

11. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

You do realize you're already doing AS in your Prius? And that FAS is simply doing AS manually?
    Better sell that Prius, it's a deathtrap!!

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

^^ He also owns a Ford Fiesta that presumably would turn the AC off in FAS.

13. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A

And the electronically shifting dual clutch automatic transmission.

14. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A

Do you realize the prius is DESIGNED to do that the fiesta is not?

Do you realize that everyone won't do STUPID and UNSAFE things for the sake of saving 1 to 2 mpg?

I was going to apologize for not putting mine and other people's lives in jeopardy for following silly hypermiler guidelines but to hell with that...especially with that smug attitude.

15. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Just leave your car outside for the night and then drive about 20 miles on rolling hills, maintaining PSL. ;)

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

What is stupid or unsafe about turning a stopped car off at a long light or drive through?

1 person likes this.
  17. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Wouldn't it be better to join the rest of the world and use the metric system?

18. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Try this, it is quite safe especially in a manual car.
    Stop at a light which has just gone red, switch engine off, select first gear, foot on clutch, hand on key and watch for an amber light for the crossing road, when you see the amber for the crossing road start the engine and prepare to drive forward on your green. Quite safe, I did it for years without incident. Oh I was driving a Toyota so I knew it would start every time.

19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

For an automatic, put the car in neutral. Most cars will let you turn off the engine in any gear while stopped, but will only let you start up in neutral or park. It may just be park, but I haven't come across a vehicle that only did. Test it out, or the manual might even say.

20. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

The biggest issue I see with doing this in a car that it isn't part of the design, is if you have to make an emergency maneuver sitting at the light. That extra 5 seconds can be the difference between moving and getting bonzai'd at the light. The electric motors are MUCH faster at starting the ICE than a person reaching for the key, turning it, then moving the vehicle.

There's also a lot of lights here, that it's not as easy to see the crossing traffic lights to know when to re-start the vehicle. Personally, I wouldn't do it but to each his own as the saying goes.