1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ask your employers to install charge station?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Francos, Apr 11, 2013.

1. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I thought about this as well, but there are a few things that might make it less "simple and logical".
    1) Light posts are only on when dark, so it may not be powered if it is controlled at a centralized controller at a separate location. If this is the case, it would require rewiring the lamp power to always be on and adding a local controller, which may be costly.
    2) Light posts don't typically run at 120 volts, so there would need to be a some voltage conversion, which also adds to the cost.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I asked about that, too, but the light posts run at a really odd voltage. And it's unlikely that the circuit can handle the added 120V, 15A draw.

3. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Interestingly, the PlugShare web site has a grey (unavailable) icon in the middle of a parking area for a charging station at work. The was a picture so I had a good idea of where to look. Sure enough, between to EV delivery vehicles was an empty parking space and a L2 charging station. (It is marked as unavailable because the campus is secured, so only employees can get to it.)

iPad ? HD

3PriusMike likes this.
  4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    not only do light posts generally run at higher voltage - they are typically put on breakers that would not allow for the extra draw. Their wiring isn't sized for the extra draw either.