1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Asking for Advice on Possible 2010 Prius III Purchase!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Kaeai, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Kaeai

Kaeai New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello, I just joined this forum to ask for some advice on a possible Prius purchase. For reference, I am 18 years old and I currently drive a 2004 Buick Rendezvous with 170,000 miles. I drive 35-40 miles one way on the interstate/highway every day for school/work. (So 75-80 daily)
    I've been looking at this Prius I found for sale on a Craigslist ad, and given the information, I believe it is a good vehicle (least better than mine). However, I am not a car-savvy person and my uncle believes this car is unacceptable due to its high mileage. (Screenshotted, but willing to give the link if need-be). As I was texting the current owner, they say it is not bad mileage for a Prius, and they are also probably willing to drop the price to $3800. They even said I could come check it out and check all the records from Green Toyota, and I would but they are about 2 hours away from me one way... The biggest issue I'm having is convincing my family that the car is decent enough to purchase.
    Thank you for any advice, in advance!
    upload_2017-7-19_14-37-39.png upload_2017-7-19_14-37-22.png upload_2017-7-19_14-37-7.png upload_2017-7-19_14-36-52.png upload_2017-7-19_14-33-46.png

Aaron Vitolins and RCO like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    i agree with your uncle. the vehicle may need all sorts of expensive repairs at any time. 250k is a lot of mileage on any vehicle.
    i would take my $4,000. and find the cheapest reliable corolla/civic/whatever until i could afford something newer or lower miles, or be able to pay for expensive repairs if needed.
    you will get people chiming in saying their 250k prius runs fine, but that's no guarantee yours will.
    all the best!(y)

RCO likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Tough call. If it's original hybrid battery, sooner or later you should count on needing a replacement, and that'll rival the cost of the vehicle. And that's a lot of miles, likely engine problems starting to crop up, if not already.

Maybe ask them how the oil consumption is, post their response. The way they answer is at least as important as what they say. I would assume it's consuming moderately by now.

One thing: they're probably on the level about there being a lot of highway miles: that's a lot of miles to pile on so fast. For comparison, our 2010 is around 43K miles, lol.

If you really want to be sure, take the 2 hour drive, do a test drive, and bring along uncle. Do not bring a check book. :)

#3 Mendel Leisk, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  4. Shane Burns

Shane Burns Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with other... If you planning to buy that car, you need to put some money aside just in case if repair is needed. I bought my 2010 Prius with 327k and the HV battery failed few weeks later. I'm very very fortunate that I got a almost new HV battery (21,000 miles on it) for $500! My Prius now have 335,000 miles and no problem! Good luck on your decision!

5. Kaeai

Kaeai New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Text conversation when asking about the battery and oil consumption, plus some extra...
    20170720_095745.png 20170720_095812.png 20170720_095759.png

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    get the vin and put it in at the toyota owners website. it will give you all the dealer service history.

RCO likes this.
  7. Kaeai

Kaeai New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yea, Think I might go ahead with a 2009 Touring with 142k miles I just found for $4000 though... :/

RCO likes this.
  8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Download the 2009 sales brochure and make sure it is a Touring. (16" wheels, larger spoiler, different suspension).

From Prius Base vs. Touring edition: the dirty little secret | PriusChat

Lots of crooks or innocent know-nothings out there.

The Touring Edition was only available in the U.S. for the 2007, 2008 and 2009 model years.

Besides (1) larger rear spoiler, and (2) 7 spoke 16" wheels and 16" tires, all Touring Editions will have:

(3) HIDs and front fog lights (but high option package Standard Prius will have these too),

(4) larger front and rear stabilizer bars (but you won't be able to easily tell the difference by looking at them), and

(5) different rear struts and springs - note that you WILL be able to detect this:

Look under the car from the rear. On either side you will see where the struts attach to the rear suspension beam. Just above the attachment point are two painted stripes on the strut tube.

The Touring Edition Prius has a pink stripe and a red stripe.

The Standard Prius has a blue stripe and a red stripe.

You can see pictures of the different colored striped struts in this thread:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/32947-touring-owners-check-your-rear-struts.html

RCO likes this.
  9. Kaeai

Kaeai New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, thank you for that! I noticed in the pictures of this 2009 "Touring", the stripe is definitely BLUE... Unsure if I can see the red, but it is a red Prius anyways.

10. Kaeai

Kaeai New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, The "Touring" has no AC and one of the headlights doesn't work... So back to looking at the 2010!... Does anyone have a price range for a battery, in case that does end up blowing out? (I could try to get the loan for a bit more to cover the possible battery cost)

11. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    MY2010 was a very long year (Thank you, Honda Insight). The earliest non-CARB registered cars are just coming off warranty based on time. The Google couldn't find a replacement price (at least quickly) and I don't recall reading of one being replaced out of warranty.

Find and download the sales brochures for every year you look at. Features change year to year. The 2010 V (Five in later years) has a different suspension (yep, the old Touring idea) and 17" wheels. A vast majority of the cars advertised as "fives" aren't.

The Gen3 was "de-featured". To get the backup camera you need to find a car with one of the option packages. One door SKS was standard on the II & III. Three door SKS was standard on the IV & V.

Every battery in every car is going to fail. The question is "when". Chances are we will have 3 or 4 years before there will be a significant probability of failure. The price of a Gen2 battery makes a good estimate for the emergency repairs fund.

First, borrowing money to have emergency funds is not a good idea. Second, a responsible lender is not going to write a loan for thousands more than the car is worth.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. Kaeai

Kaeai New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yea, all of that makes sense. Well, the 2010 I originally posted about.. The guy called me and said he is willing to drop it to $3000 since he knows I'm in college (incoming freshman) and he believes I'm respectable enough and would get a good use out of it... Also, forgot if I even mentioned this, but he did say that all the service records are available, was recently inspected by Toyota, etc... And it sounds like they've been very good about keeping up with maintenance so I'm hoping that means the battery is more likely to last longer.

RCO likes this.
  13. Shane Burns

Shane Burns Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $3000 is very good price especially the Prius is well maintained at the dealership. I paid mine little more for my 2010 Prius that have 328k. Although you need to start saving just in case something come up. Good luck!

Kaeai likes this.
  14. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The car is either a base II, III, or IV. Register the VIN & look at the service records. When were the fluids changed? Any suspension work? Has the 12v battery been replaced? How much tread left on the tires?

"Past performance is no guarantee of future results." Routine maintenance is not a predictor of battery life. Since the car has been run a lot and probably hasn't sat unused I'd believe the traction battery won't be the first expense.

Bank the money you aren't spending on gas for the Buick. Look for a car club or program on campus or in the area. The idea is to hang around with people who know more than you (and have facilities and tools). You can save some money with DIY and oil changes ARE easier when the car is on a lift in the school's shop.

RCO and Kaeai like this.
  15. Kaeai

Kaeai New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can someone describe how to check the VIN? Sorry!

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's on the dash in front of the driver. look through the lower corner of the windshield.

contact prikschat member @ericbecky in madison, he can quote you a battery price, and generally advise you. i would listen to him.

RCO and Raytheeagle like this.
  17. Kaeai

Kaeai New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okies, But how do you check the service records with the VIN?

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    go to the toyota owners website and sign up. then you can plug in the vin and get all the dealer service history.

RCO and Kaeai like this.
  19. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  20. Kaeai

Kaeai New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Waiting on the VIN (They're out of town at the moment)... With a Prius of that age and that many miles, would an extended warranty be worth it?