1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

aspartame...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by finman, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Rumply

Rumply New Member

See... that's just one of the mysteries of life for me... why is it that I drank my way through college on home-made moonshine and everclear and have no problem staring a jug right in the label, but a one-night binge with a bottle of peach schnapps and I can't even walk through the produce section in summer without shuttering.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL!! Me....Bachelor party memories of Cape Cods (cranberry juice and vodka)...I just can't even think about it any more. In case you're wondering..it goes in red...comes out yellow. :pukeleft: :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeleft:

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I went through a bottle of peppermint schnapps on my own one night as an undergrad... couldn't brush my teeth for a week without feeling sick.

I have many other enemies in the world of alcohol. That's what I get for growing up in Wisconsin I guess.

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    When efusco mentioned vodka in my OJ, my stomach turned. It was my favorite through the first few years of college; I haven't touched the stuff since a bad episode in 1996.

I'm getting ill thinking about it right now...

Nate

5. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Ok, to get the thread back on track...(although the drinking stories are entertainment!) what does everyone drink to satisfy their 'want soda but want to be healthier'? And I've already concluded that adult beverages should be consumed in moderation as well, but I've been victim of one too many New Years Eve party's that I don't remember, but others say my actions were...uh..inappropriate. Love my Prius, want the rest of my life to be healthy now, too.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    During the 8-10 hours of my ER shifts I rarely get to eat. Prev. I kept Cokes of some sort, but decided that the HFCS wasn't the best thing for me.

I switched to unsweetened tea. I bring 2 Nalgene bottles full in and usually consume 1-2 of those (32oz each) during a shift. I still satisfy my soda fix from time to time but have dropped that intake markedly.

The tea is available in 1 gallon jugs, home made, or, most conveniently in a concentrate where 2 cups of concentrate mixed with water in a 1 gallon jug is enough to last me 2-3 shifts.

7. SyZyGy

SyZyGy New Member

Well, lets say that my dad is extraordinary. He lets me have a lot of freedom because he trusts me. He's one of those cool dads 8).

8. Rumply

Rumply New Member

Hawaiian Punch makes a splenda variety these days... blast back to childhood when poured into a dixie cup and eaten with those flower looking vanilla shortbread cookies.

9. SyZyGy

SyZyGy New Member

Oh yea, one more thing about my dad. My brother and I had a huge New Years party like 30-40 people and there was alcohol and my dad didn't care. We asked him in advance if I could and he said yes. He just didn't want anyone to drive. Our friends freaked when he came home at midnight (from another party) because they thought that he would freak if he saw them drinking. My dad (not an alcoholic) sat down at the kitchen table and asked for a shot of Crown Royal. Our friends were sooo confused. :mrgreen:
    Go Beer Pong!

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Iced decaf with Sweet-N-Low. No more soda for me.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Evan:

God, I guess not! Especially the "no meals" part.

Sugar levels go down. Drink soda. Sugar skyrockets, then crashes. Drink soda. Sugar skyrockets, then crashes. Repeat.

I guess I'm lucky to have a "normal" schedule with plenty of healthy things to snack on during the day.

A co-worker couldn't finish a Coke can today and gave it to me. I gave a sip and when he wasn't looking I poured it down the sink. Geez that stuff is rancid. :pukeright:

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SyZyGy\";p=\"73035)</div>
    I had a friend in high school who had a “cool dad†too! The parties were the best!!! I was jealous of all the freedoms he had.

One evening he took his cool dad’s Firebird and smashed the car into a tree in an almond orchard. He then got out, walked to the middle of the orchard, put one of his mom’s prized blankets on the ground, opened up a fifth of his dad’s Jack Daniel’s, drank half the bottle, then shot himself in the head with one of his cool dad’s many handguns.

He left a note at school, actually a class assignment, saying he wished he had parents who “cared enough to care enough . . .â€

Yep, Cool Dads. There is a place in the world for cool dads.

Jail.

13. Rumply

Rumply New Member

errrrrrr

wow.....

ummmmm

:|

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy\";p=\"73353)</div>
    Patrick:

Sometimes you have to be firm, even slap someone on the face to pay attention. Well done!

15. mspencer

mspencer New Member

Hey now, don't put words into that other guy's mouth. You're speaking of the "irresponsible, uncaring" subcategory of 'cool dad'.

16. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Aspartame is a C4 metabolic natural occurring substance normally found in plants adapted to xeric (arid) ecosystems. Examples include Yucca in the Mojave Desert.

Aspartame may be naturally occurring. However, it was never intended to be ingested in the concentrations and quantities of current human use. More knowledgable biochemistry friends at the University of Chicago advise to avoid aspartame.

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse\";p=\"75573)</div>
    The scary thing is, that's true of the vast majority of things we routinely plug down our pie hole.