1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

assemble the rear windshield wiper

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by wfz, Sep 26, 2012.

1. wfz

wfz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It broke off during a storm. I glued (JB weld) the broken part on one side of the U shaped part that connects the base. I found one metal spring with hooks at both ends. I am not sure how it should tie the 2 parts together. I search around but didn't find a picture of it. Most videos, instruction are on replacing the blade.

Do you how it should be oriented to connect the 2 parts?

Thanks,

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can post pic's of the assembly for a Gen II if it will help you. Not sure what you have, please update your "personal details".

Ron

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looking at the base of the arm assembly, orient the spring whereas one end is hooked on the pin that acts as the pivot point. The hook should be away from you. Furthermore, orient the spring whereas the twist in the wire turns to the right then progresses into the coils of the spring. The top of the coils will be to your left and the hook should be away from you. Stretch the spring just enough to attach it to the clip slightly above the pivot point. I don't know how much pressure it will take to stretch the spring as I did not remove it. I hope this is what you were asking about. Sorry about the brightness of the pics, digital is not always perfect. Hopefully you can make out what you need.

I went ahead and posted pics of what I have for you. I hope this helps you.

For those of you who look at these pics, it also demonstrates how to replace the wiper blade if you want to do that. Simply spread the U shaped part at the bottom. Then pivot the assembly up. Apply light pressure where the blade and the arm pivots just under the pivot point pushing away from the arm, the blade assembly will separate. Then simply rotate the blade assembly to 90 degrees from the arm and slide it down a little bit. Once that is done, the blade assembly will slip off the end of the arm. Reassemble in reverse order. No tools are needed, it can all be done by hand. It takes just a few minutes.

The O.E.M. rear wiper refill part # is 85242-47010 - looking at the below pictures it would be picture #6.

DSC01469.JPG DSC01470.JPG DSC01471.JPG DSC01472.JPG DSC01473.JPG DSC01474.JPG DSC01475.JPG DSC01476.JPG

usnavystgc likes this.
  4. wfz

wfz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    dorunron, thanks for the instruction and picture. Your images (especially the last one) help. I will put them together tomorrow.

THANKS!

dorunron likes this.
  5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You are quite welcome.

Good luck to you.

Ron

6. wfz

wfz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I finally got a chance to try it at daylight. It can only fit when placed flat on the window but I have to stretch it at least 1/4 of an inch in order to hook the spring to both sides. The spring is rather tight to stretch not even a bit. I wonder if I need to unscrew to disconnect the base from the part inside the car. Will the part inside the car fall if I do that (that maybe it's even hard to assemble what's inside).

Below are the pictures of the parts I have and how I tried to reconnect. Do I miss any parts? Thanks again for the help.

picture 1:
    [​IMG]
    It fits when the left side goes to the base and the right hooks to the wiper like the picture 2.
    picture 2:
    [​IMG]
    Placed on wiper, the left side can't be go flat.

picture 3:
    [​IMG]
    left side of the picture 1 hooks to the highlighted bar.

7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree with everything you have said as well have pictured. It looks to me like you will have to remove the small nut, and slip (pull) the part in picture 3 off of the shaft.

I have never removed that part so I have no idea what is what from this point on.

As far as what might happen if you remove the nut, I cannot answer. I would venture to say that the motor hidden inside the panel's on the inside of the hatch should be secured by more than just the small nut that is pictured in #3, however I may be wrong.

I am surprised that no one else has chimed in on this thread yet as there are more knowledgeable individuals than myself here on this board.

I do agree that it appears you will have to remove the part in picture 3 to reassemble the rear arm to the base, otherwise you probably won't be able to properly tension the spring. It does look like you have all the parts needed imo. I also feel that based on what I see here, you won't have to stretch (tension) the spring once you get the part off of the car in picture #3. It looks to me like you would simply pivot the blade assembly down until you can hook the spring on both ends, then straighten it out and reattach it to the shaft/spline and replace the nut. I would mark the position of the end shown in picture #3 before I removed it. That way, once you are done you can align it in the proper place.

Please post back what the final resolution is.

Sorry I can't help any more than this.

Ron