1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Asus Eee PC 8G -- Opinions please!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Mjolinor

Mjolinor New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    so the debian repository is working OK and has knights in. The problem we have now is where are the original repositories. I think that once we solve that we will be able to proceed.

It's harder as Xandros is not a free version of Linux and as such the repositories are limited to what they decide which is basically what they can draw money for.

I will go and see if I can find the 900 Xandros servers.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I found this page. The problem (aside from the complexity) is that it's for the 701, not the 900.

Also, it implies that there is a sources.list file already. But elsewhere I think I read that on the 900 it's in a different place. But running "whereis sources.list" gives nothing, not even the one I created in apt/get.

3. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I FOUND IT!!! It's on /ro/etc/apt. Here's the file. I am going to copy it into the one I made, and see what happens.

Attached Files:

4. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay. The attached file newmod.txt is the output from "apt-get update" with the sources.list file I found and posted above plus the deb line from the sources.list file I had been using added onto it. As before, there was an error line printed to the screen, apparently the same or similar.

But synaptic still wants to remove most of my programs as a condition for installing knights.

Attached Files:

5. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    One more thing: This time I copied the sources.list file directly from /ro/etc/apt to /etc/apt and ran apt-get update. The output is in the file orimod.txt. There were no error messages. But knights is not available, although there are a few programs available which are not on my computer.

Attached Files:

6. Mjolinor

Mjolinor New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius

As usual for Linux the documentation sucks.
    APT HOWTO - Managing packages

That is the official Debian explanation of pinning, makes about as much sense as a chocolate teapot.

or

Are my best guesses. Perhaps you can make more sense of the Debian page or try the above for your preferences file. If you run apt-get -s install so that it only simulates you will not damage anything.

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay. I'll give those a try. But right now I have some things I need to do. So I'll work on that later.

While you were working on that, I found another file, attached as sources.another.txt, which was hidden away in an examples folder. Note that it is different than the version we've been using for the deb files. So I appended it to a copy of the original sources file and ran apt-get update again. The output is also attached, as anothermod.txt.

Synaptic still wants to remove files to install knights. It would install Crafty without changing anything, but Crafty needs xboard, and installing xboard would require removing a few files.

I'll be using this newer version of sources, and your versions of preferences for pinning when I come back to the computer later.

You've asked me to use apt-get rather than synaptic because apt-get provides the -s option and can redirect an output to a file that I can post. But if both synaptic and apt-get report that they would not delete anything, is it then safe to use either? Or would you still recommend using apt-get?

Attached Files:

8. Mjolinor

Mjolinor New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I would always use apt-get but probably because I do most of my work over SSH sessions to embedded devices where there is no X installed. I only really use X for browsing and video watching and even then I sometimes use links or mplayer from the command line, it depends what I am doing.

The thing is that there are warnings about using synaptic on the eee, I don't know what the problem is but personally I would stay away from it. I do remember having problems with it on my 701

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay. Apt-get it is. I'm going to start playing with the new preferences file now.

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Using the first preferences file version, apt-get wrote the following message on the screen:

W: Did not understand pin type o=update.eeepc.asus.com.1.6
    E: Invalid record in the preferences file, no Package header

The file for redirected output only contained "Reading package lists..."

Using the second version of the preferences file produced the following screen output:

W: Dd not understand pin type o=Xandros

The output file was very long and basically wanted to trash the whole computer. That file is attached as outpin2.txt

Attached Files:

11. Mjolinor

Mjolinor New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius