1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

at 150k miles the egr valve cooler assembly should be cleaned

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by tankyuong, May 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. xerox6135

xerox6135 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Original head gasket and no engine overhaul?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. 2012 Prius v wagon 3

2012 Prius v wagon 3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Reviving an older thread, but this seems to be a leading EGR maintenance thread.

My 2012 Prius v is new to me, 54k miles, no problems that I'm sure of but this EGR system sure seems to be the Achilles heel of this engine, often leading to piston, ring, and head gasket issues as things approach 150k miles.

Hoping to do any preventive maintenance that can help avoid those problems.

Am aware of the extended warranty. Doubting its value (below). No codes or CEL.

However, before knowing of this specific EGR issue, there have been a few times that the car sounds like a lawnmower. Since I'm such a new owner here, I really don't know what is normal in this regard. Comments? Specific sounds and conditions I can pay attention to?

On the warranty, I would basically need the right code, or be willing to risk a proper diagnosis without it. And even then, it sounds like that would just get me installation of a replacement valve.

Replacement valve is the same original design, not upgraded to address this problem, right?

Any up- and down-stream cleaning of the pipe, cooler, etc. would need to be done by me anyway, right? (no plans to pay the dealer for anything like that) And while "in there" I could easily replace the PCV valve.

After cleaning the clogged original EGR valve, would it basically be as good as new?

If the answers to that line of questioning is what I'm expecting, it sounds I should just ignore the warranty and tear into it and clean things myself.

No problem with that, and I had been thinking that doing it at about 100k miles along with the coolant service (maybe do the spark plugs early [vs. the 120k mile spec] at that time as well) would be plenty safe.

But then I saw in a post on here of someone with the EGR symptoms at 60k miles. Would it make sense to do the DIY full system cleaning now just based on lawnmower noise?

Anyone with reports of lower mileage cleaning, finding a bunch of clogging or otherwise?

#82 2012 Prius v wagon 3, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The document from Toyota (forget what it's officially called) mentions code and/or shaking at start-up. I'd consider those death-throe symptoms, and wouldn't wait around: DIY preventative maintenance is much preferable.

More than likely.

Reading between the lines, are you thinking that since removal of the wipers and cowl is required, to do other things at the same time? I wouldn't think like that: the removal of those parts is mostly a frustration, but not that difficult. And stacking all those other chores on top of EGR cleaning might make you delay, or rush, or mess up. I would concentrate on the EGR, leave the coolant and plugs for another time.

Reading between the lines more, the coolant change: are you thinking due to disconnection of the egr cooler lines you might as well do the coolant change? I did just the EGR cleaning, and before starting drained 2 liters of coolant, carefully, into a clean container. Just by opening the radiator drain. This dropped the coolant level below the complete EGR system, I didn't spill a drop. There were a few tablespoons of coolant trapped at the back lower corner of the cooler: I just poured that into the previous collection. When done, I poured all the coolant into the (near-empty) reservoir, and within a couple of days the level settled down to where it was at the outset.

What I'd suggest is to clean the EGR pipe first, the stainless steel pipe between the valve and intake manifold. See what it's like. There's an @NutzAboutBolts video on this specifically, pinned at top of 3rd gen Maintenance Forum. This will let you get a feel for it, and give some idea how the clogging has progressed. There's another videos linked in the same thread, on the full EGR clean.

Besides EGR cleaning, keep in mind intake manifold cleaning and oil catch can install. The intake manifold is actually part of the EGR circuit as well. Again, there's videos on that, same place.

54K miles is earlyish, but not that much. It's a good time to get into it. In particular the intake manifold clean out and Oil Catch Can install.

Good thread:

EGR & Intake Manifold Clean Results | PriusChat

Another:

Oil Catch Can, Eliminate that knock! | PriusChat

Some tools worth having:

E8 Torx socket (mandatory)
    E6 Torx socket (optional, but good to have, to remove the throttle body studs from intake manifold)
    3/8" ratchet wrench, regular and long handle, flex head, you can never have enough
    1/4" ratchet wrench, or 3/8" to 1/4" reducer
    Ratchet extensions: you can never have enough
    Long needle nose piers, straight and bent tip
    Ratcheting 12mm box wrench (optional, but makes disconnection of the EGR cooler from exhaust easier)
    Torque wrench (3/8" and 1/4" both good to have)
    Floor jack and safety stands (or ramps): basically some method to raise front, if you need to take underpanel off, which you may need to, both for access and to recover dropped items.

#83 Mendel Leisk, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  4. 2012 Prius v wagon 3

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the reply. All sounds good. Specific responses below.

I realize the cowl / spark plugs is pretty well separated from the intake stuff. So combining the two would mainly be if the mileage schedule made it that way, and also the inertia of getting going on a job would make me more efficient vs. doing two jobs. If things point to me doing the EGR cleaning a lot earlier than 100k mile, then yes, I'd hold off on the spark plugs until they're due.

As with the spark plugs, my reasoning was more based on schedule and inertia. Yes, I'd probably do as you say and just do a partial drain and probably refill with the same.

Yes, I've seen those videos. Great at getting me a quick feel for what is involved. Looks pretty straightforward. I kind of expect though, knowing myself, that unless that EGR tube is shiny on the inside I'll probably end up doing the full EGR system and intake manifold removal, etc. "while I'm in there".

I'm in the sovereign republic / commune of California, and I am sure a catch can, or even leaving a piece of masking tape on a hose somewhere would make me fail my smog check. So that's a non-starter for me.

OK. That may be the most important info I needed. I've only been reading for a little while and was not sure just how early 54k miles was. I'm not in a rush to do it, but will stop my thinking about synching with the 100k service.

And no lack of tools in my garage. I can't believe I'm now up to 7 cars. Need to trim the fleet back to 5 before the neighbors complain.

Another question - in all of the above discussion related to EGR, intake manifold, etc., assuming all goes well, and considering my low mileage, is the only part that will need replacing be the intake manifold gasket? For example, is re-using the gaskets on the EGR system commonly done with no problems? I did not notice anything about new gaskets other than the intake manifold gasket in any of the videos.

Bay Stater and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You can reuse the gasket and be fine;).

I installed a catch can and I’m not that far away from you. You just have to know where to go:).

I’ve done the egr circuit cleanse about 10 times, and expect a days work. But once your done, it is satisfying (y).

Bay Stater and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. 2012 Prius v wagon 3

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Good to know, thanks. And you also agree that doing this at 54k miles on a Gen3 is not so early that it would likely be a waste of time?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For the OCC and inspections, if you can't find a "guy", maybe just pick up an extra pcv hose, the part number is 12261-37060; they're around $10.

Without intake manifold removal, from above, it's a little awkward to swap back to the stock hose, but quite doable, in maybe 15 minutes.

It's worthwhile to get an extra hose anyway, for trade-in time, or if you ever want to return it to stock.

FWIW, I did a full EGR clean, ditto for intake manifold, and OCC install, around 71K kms, roughly 44K miles. Maybe a little early. For the OCC, eight o'clock day one is the best time...

Intake manifold doing an OxiClean soak:

upload_2019-9-26_21-28-2.png

Ditto for the EGR cooler:

upload_2019-9-26_21-29-42.png

#87 Mendel Leisk, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Bay Stater and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    @Joele3 is one of those guys that could help out locally;).

And I bought a spare hose for sale time:).

But I’d say it’s not too early to take a peak (y).