1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

At dealer help before finance guy gets back!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by flomofo, Jun 20, 2010.

1. flomofo

flomofo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm at the dealer now, wasgoing for a 2010 but ran into a black 06 with 59k miles for 15998 down from almost 17k.

I still think it's overpricedbut it has hov stickers and I'm just trying to see what price would be fair for the car as I offerred 15k and just walked out right now.

I'm staying nearby in case you guys can provide some guidance.

2. flomofo

flomofo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And sry for the hasty post buy I did all my research on new vehicles and am trying to read up on gen 2 prices on my cell phone right now but it is going slowww

3. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Probably too late now but look up the used car prices on KBB.com

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Price is way too high. Also I heard Caifornia is abandonning the HOV stickers, so it doesnt add $2k to $3k to the price like before.

I got an 06 with 60k miles for less than $10k from a dealer.

5. flomofo

flomofo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I checked kbb while there thats part of why I walked away.

But most dealers in my area were charging about that much or more for a Gen II prius.

Where did you find a 06 with 60k for less than 10k?

They wouldn't even let it go for 15k before taxes etc. so they probably knew I wanted it....

I drive 150 or so miles a day so that sticker will save me about an hour of drive time on the way home from the bay area...

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... but only for 6 more months. Then the sticker becomes a useless decoration.

7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    16k was a fair price. Like you said, they were all going for about that price. In California everything is more expensive, even the strippers. The guy who got his for 10k must really live in the boonies or it had a salvage title on it. You'll be hardpressed to find one for under 10k in CA. The prius, not strippers.

But don't worry you will find more - they are a dime a dozen. The Prius I mean, not strippers. Well actually....

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  9. flomofo

flomofo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought the stickers were supposed to expire in 2009 too though, and then they ended up allowing renewels....I hope they do.

And doesn't the stripper market fluctuate wildly?

10. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it certainly bounces around.

:peep:

1 person likes this.
  11. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Used cars are generally overpriced. How much do you think a 2006 Prius with 120K miles is worth, becuase the car being discussed is half way there and a new Gen III with zero percent financing is what, $25,000? So why shouldn't the older style 2006 be half that?

Think about after you drive the car 60K miles. Do you want to then have a 2006 with 120K miles or a 2010 with 60K miles?

12. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    First time I have ever heard someone say used cars were overpriced. But us cheap bastards need people like you so we can buy used cars!

I am the under 10k guy, and I bought it in February in the middle of the "my toyota is trying to kill me". I have been eyeing them for about a year, and when a good deal comes up, you grab it. If you are patient it will be rewarded.

FYI, the car was immaculate. Not a base model at all (SKS, backup cam, high res screen, I think package III, not sure). Title is clean, 1 previous registered owner. I flew to a pretty populated area (tristate NJ/PA/NY) to do the deal and drove it back. So it was more expensive than if I were to buy in the boonies. The cost of gas, the plane ticket, and the car, were less than local places.

You need to be ninja like. Wait and wait until you find a good deal. Then go for the kill. Saved myself a ton of money.

13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah do your research. Or just buy one off an old widowed lady who doesnt know any better, and needs to get rid of her car because she's in debt.

OK just kidding. THATS MESSED UP!

14. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And she only drove it to church on Sundays right? :)

15. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thats always been my hangup about buying used cars, the fact that once its paid for and I've put 100,000 miles on it...it'll have 3 years and 50k miles more on it than a car I purchased new would have.

But the savings are undeniable. It will probably cost you $5,000 in depreciation to drive that car for 60,000 miles...while a new one...$10,000 at least.

16. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think that if the HOV lanes saved me an hour a day then I'd find someone to car pool with. That's some serious motivation in my opinion.