1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

at long last finally a sunroof small enough for Prius!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cnschult, Aug 26, 2011.

1. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Amazon is selling a 17" by 17" CFL pop up sunroof for around $180 shipped. It is sold individually, but is called a His n Hers sunroof cause its meant to install 2 side by side in a full size pickup or van so the driver and passenger can have different settings.

Due to the shape of the Prius roof, we all know large powered moonroofs will hurt mpg and possibly sink in and leak due to the heavy weight on the weak prius roof.

but this sunroof is small enough to easily fit between the 2 roof kinks with room to spare and weighs only about 7 pounds.

Has anybody tried this pop up sunroof?
    Does anybody have an knowledgeable opinion on whether it would work or not??

and please no spoiled brats disrespecting the sunroof just because you are too lazy to open and close it and remove it by hand and not at the push of a button.

2. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Before my Prius I had a VW Passat with a leaky sunroof - it made life miserable. I loved the ability to pop the back to vent the car in the summer, but it was not worth the trouble.

Given the odd shape of the Prius roof I would stay well clear - since the roof dips in the center water would actually drain towards the sunroof. To me the downside would be just too much.

3. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I put a sunroof in my 2000 Insight and it worked fine. Had it installed by a professional who only does sunroofs.

4. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes water pools towards the center of the prius roof but then the water immediately rolls either forward or backwards as the prius roof is not flat at any point. I think If I have it done I will order an extra outer gaskets and insist the shop owner to let me watch him install the roof so i will know how to change out the gasket. Proper installation and changing gaskets every 6 years will eliminate all leaking problems.

I drive in the city not the highway so any mpg hit is of no concern for me, especially as I will be able to drive with the a/c off more often as my car would be cooler upon entering and cooler during driving. (middle school physics, heat rises)

I really do feel that this is the only sunroof safe for Gen II Prius that does not require modifications and butchering the roof Toyota spent so many hours in the wind tunnel perfecting. In a perfect world, we would have a Gen II interior draped by a Gen II exterior.