1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

At what milage can you install an oil catch can and never have to clean the egr system?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Sal43, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Sal43

Sal43 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 2011 Prius 4 has 61,500 miles.
    If I get a high quality oil catch can installed soon, will I never have to clean the egr system and intake manifold or is cleaning and or replacing the egr system and intake manifold mandatory before installing an oil catch can?
    Also, will it cause problems with a smog check if I move to California or is a fully sealed oil catch can legal in California?

dig4dirt, Johnny Cakes and Pluggo like this.
  2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know of any type of catch-can legal in California.

They don't always inspect carefully enough to notice one, but they used to be extra careful with the out-of-state transplants.

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Good question and I hope it gets an answer.

Also, there's a 73 page thread on the OCC which, to be honest, I don't want to read through. What's the consensus? Do all Prius years need an OCC or just certain years?

5. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don’t believe that it’s possible to avoid having to clean the EGR system of the Gen 3. I know that 18 months ago, when my engine expired, the EGR cooler was 98-99% restricted. I had 213k at the time of initial cleaning. This past week, 18k later, there was a light soot buildup in the pipe and on the valve. This spring, when the weather is nicer, I’ll do a complete tear down with pictures to see how quickly the buildup returns.

Tim Jones likes this.
  6. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don’t believe that it’s possible to avoid having to clean the EGR system of the Gen 3. I know that 18 months ago, when my engine expired, the EGR cooler was 98-99% restricted. I had 213k at the time of initial cleaning. This past week, 18k later, there was a light soot buildup in the pipe and on the valve. This spring, when the weather is nicer, I’ll do a complete tear down with pictures to see how quickly the buildup returns.

7. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As far as the catch can, there is sufficient space under the intake to hide the catch can. And there are threaded holes cast into the block that make nice mounting points to make the install nearly invisible unless the underbody panel is removed.

8. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You have exhaust gasses going through the egr, so it will clog, eventually.
    The extra oil just makes it worst. But the OCC will help, and can't hurt. :)

Tim Jones and RMB like this.
  9. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Very, very good question. I have a 2015 with 28,000 miles
    Most miles are short trips ~2 miles and obviously in the NE we get cold too so 50/50 hot/cold

I figure I will have the time to tear down and clean (if necessary) and inspect its status.
    But it would be nice to know IF I do not need to touch for 50k more miles :cry:

I will be shunned...
    But as for my stance, I am not going to install a OCC
    I plan to just do the full EGR cleaning if/when necessary every 50k or whatever that may be.
    For MY SITUATION that may be every 7-10 YEARS at this point in time.
    :(
    More than likely a new car (can you say Toyota BEV-FOOLCELL!) when it comes along
    :whistle:

But lets get more feedback on the preventative OCC
    Need some high mileage peeps!

bisco likes this.
  10. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I installed one and live in Northern California. If worried about it, I would pick up a second pcv valve hose and swap it out before the smog check:).

But the guy I use doesn’t check for these types of mods. Remember that if the catch can isn’t working right, you’ll get a vacuum leak and subsequent code;).

But if you go low and mount it to the front cross member, it’s very difficult to see for someone even looking for it(y).

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    At 61,500 miles, the pristine intake and EGR "boat" has long sailed. Also, I don't think an Oil Catch Can will eliminated EGR clogging. I suspect it'll reduce the rate of clogging somewhat. I'd hope it'll also reduce/delay piston rings gumming up.

Take a look at the EGR pipe (the stainless steel tube between the EGR valve and intake manifold, to get some idea of the current state of the EGR passages, both in the EGR valve/cooler and intake manifold.

To see what the PCV valve has been dumping into the intake manifold, I would unbolt and lift off the the throttle body (leave coolant hoses attached). Clean it while you're at it (with carburetor cleaner on a cloth), and swab out the "sump" at the bottom of the intake. You could also disconnect the MAP sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure) on the right side of intake manifold at the bottom, spray it with some MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor cleaner (say CRC's).

There's relevant torque values in the attached. The throttle body nuts/bolts is 7 ft/lbs, a 3/8" or 1/4" torque wrench is good for that.

#11 Mendel Leisk, Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Tim Jones and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The OCC keeps oil out of your engine intake. This preserves engine life, it’s good for the rings, head gasket, etc.

If that oil gets into the combustion chambers, then it gets into the EGR cooler, where it gums up the tiny cooling fins. I don’t know if the OCC will keep the EGR cooler perfectly clean, but it will help. The gunked-up EGR then blocks airflow in the intake manifold.

I just did an EGR cooler on a 140,000 mile car, and it was definitely getting clogged.

So a catch can is a good idea. In the unlikely event you fail CA smog test, it can be temporarily removed and then replaced. That’s not a big deal. The bigger worries are that you need to be sure you empty it at every oil change, and since water enters it, it could freeze and possibly block. But nobody on PriusChat has reported that problem, and it’s not a worry in California anyway.

13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Keeps all oil recirculating back into engine?

#13 Grit, Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Tim Jones likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No, just catches it, akin to a skimmer. It's not a lot of oil, and especially in spring, is more an olio: maybe 50% oil, and the rest a water soluble concoction.

There are some air-oil separators that return the oil to the sump, usually proprietory to an auto manufacturer?

Even the Prius has a crude one: the pcv valve screws into a plate on the crankcase wall, and if you take that plate off, there's a simple labyrinth behind, that routes air to the PCV, catches a little oil in the process, and lets that oil trickle back into the sump. Still, it's not that effective.

Removal of that plate is not that easy: it has bolts around the perimeter and form-in-place gasket to seal it, kind of like the timing chain cover.

douglasjre and Tim Jones like this.
  15. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just clarifying for other who reads the statement thinking all oil will be caught

Tim Jones and Mendel Leisk like this.
  16. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The catch can catches as a catch can can. It can’t catch what a catch can can’t catch.

Singh Saab, ilhouhou, Bibster and 8 others like this.
  17. ilhouhou

ilhouhou Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    cant help myself reply to this genius message. Looks like we all have to surrender to the inevitable result.