1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

At what point would you stop recommending a Prius?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Moving Right Along, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen posts from a few forum members discouraging prospective buyers from getting a Prius because it would be a bad investment after a certain point. So what do you think that point is?

Let's say someone was planning to buy a used car and wanted it to last for 5-6 years, which is the average for how long people have used cars according to Americans holding onto their cars longer than ever

At what age and mileage would you say a Prius would be a good car to buy under those circumstances? And what would be the cutoff age and miles before you stopped recommending a Prius? I'm interested to know what everyone thinks and the reasons for everyone's cutoff points.

Sazla likes this.
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Five years is a good point, replace the traction battery every five years, I'd say after five replacements it might not be a good buy.

3. Moving Right Along

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've read a lot of suggestions to replace the 12v battery every 5 years, but you replace the hybrid traction battery every 5 years as well?

4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    WOW.
    25 years.
    I bet that sets the bar for the upper limit.

I'm not sure that it is THAT much different than any small car......but for different reasons.

I'd say that you should think it through carefully with one that has 100K miles or more and is 10 years old.
    Just on general principles.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's no one answer. it depends on your aversion to risk, your financial situation and your diy capabilities.
    and, of course, some people live instates with an 8/100 warranty, and others 10/150.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Gen 1 had battery corrosion issues, I do not see that improving. I see no endemic Gen 2 problems. So my answer would be 2004.

But i only recommend them for those who can afford a failure, not starving college students.

#6 JimboPalmer, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Exactly. If you are scrimping together $5000 to buy a 10+ year old car with 200k miles on it, maybe you should rethink the purchase in general. If you can't afford a catastrophic repair ontop of the purchase price, don't buy it otherwise you get a $5k paper-weight waiting for a $2500 repair.

RCO likes this.
  8. Moving Right Along

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So you're saying that people who have a $5000 car budget and need a vehicle should buy a car that costs at most $2500 in order to make sure they can afford potentially costly repairs in the future?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not really. the problem is, if you have a $5,000. budget, and no savings, you're likely to have an unfortunate driving experience.

you probably need close to 10k to take most of the risk out, or less, with an emergency fund. depends on where you live as well.

Montgomery and RCO like this.
  10. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No, but people who have a $5000 car budget only because they found extra change in the couch cushions, should only buy a $2500 car. If you have a healthy emergency reserve and a $5000 budget, then buy a $5000 car.

A car, new or used, can have a catastrophic failure at any time. The second you drive it off the lot or much later into its service life. By buying an old vehicle, you are increasing your chances that something may go wrong during the time you own it. The Prius is not a 1960's American car that can be MacGyver'ed together with bubble gum and your belt to get moving again. It is a sophisticated piece of engineering with a lot of computers and electronics. You don't need to be a bush-mechanic to fix, you need to be an electrical engineer. And if you are scrimping together $5k, I really hope you're not an EE.

NeilPeart and RCO like this.
  11. Moving Right Along

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, so what you're saying from the perspective of the original question of when should someone not buy a Prius is that there isn't a specific cutoff, but that at any given price point, a buyer should have enough money left after purchase to cover one catastrophic repair.

RCO likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and then another one.

RCO likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    then comes the conundrum; should i put $2,500. into this pos i bought for $5,000.?

NeilPeart and RCO like this.
  14. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    How old, how many miles on the car, how much in your pocket, how much in your pocket after the purchase, where is service location relative to your normal location, what does the car cost, your tolerance for risk, your ability to do simple things like oil/filter changes ... there must be more I'm not thinking of...

Some of the best and worst of my car buys among what must be 40 car buys by now have been used cars. The great ones were well cared for cars with documentation and I knew and could prove the motivation of the seller.

RCO likes this.
  15. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, we should make it clear that unless they drive a large number of miles, a Prius is more expensive than a comparable Corolla, for instance.
    If they need something larger, perhaps a Camry. Both also have excellent maintenance histories.

16. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    NO.
    You should use your $5K to buy a car that has an outstanding (lack of) repair record for that model in general.
    Instead of using to buy an old hybrid where it is almost guaranteed that the battery will go bad fairly soon.

Trying to negotiate the price of the old hybrid DOWN a bit and explaining why might be a good idea though.

RCO likes this.
  17. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Unless it is still under the original factory warranty on the battery.

THAT is about the only way I would consider buying a used hybrid; several years left on the battery warranty OR recently replaced with an OEM battery.

RCO likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you have 5 grand, lease a car for 4 years at $100./month.

RCO likes this.
  19. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    or buy a car you expect to last 4 years or longer. At least you have something to use or sell after 4 years then.

20. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The problem with a Prius is that they command a premium over similar cars. Even though the Prius is a very reliable car, it just doesn't make sense to buy a 200k mile used model for $2000-$3000 when you can get a newer Yaris or similar for the same price. I'm bullish on the battery and I don't think that will be an issue anymore than the transmission will be an on a Yaris. Any car with 200k miles will likely start to have expensive suspension problems soon as well as HVAC and other issues. A few of my cars have made past 200k without major issues, a few have not.

My cutoff is at 150k miles for any car as I expect a few years of worry free operation out of my used vehicle.