1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ATF fluid changes ARE Required.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Bill Norton, Dec 15, 2012.

1. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    With respects, but what you do what for a living? Your opinion to "obsessive over maintenance" is what keeps planes flying, the trains rolling, ships shipping, industry running and the military protecting. The lack of is also what keeps the average person (not all) buying a new car every few years. Do you know how many homes could have been paid off were it not for the continual car payment program so many are caught in and a part off? To repeat..."Take my advice..... or not....but I am qualified". My recommendation is based on decades of experience and knowledge obtained in my profession to it's current state. It is not the opinion of someone from another field, as I eluded to in the opening statement of my last post. I respectfully guaranty not to tell you your business if you a Doctor, or of any other profession for that matter, that I am not a part off.

You might want to reconsider your Brake fluid, Inverter and Engine Coolants as well, but lets leave that for another thread. o_O Sorry for the digression. Ya'll have a wonderful evening.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I actually did that once, absent mindedly started pouring motor oil into an automatic transmission (not our current vehicle). I stopped after I'd put maybe a cup in, swore a bit, bought 3 times the usual capacity of the proper fluid, and did a triple drain fill, driving a bit after each.

But to purposely use an alternate fluid..., when Toyo's documentation says emphatically what to use...

My business is dimensional checking, in a consulting engineering firm, fwiw. I've said, just half in jest, that it can be worthwhile to check the obvious, like:

The top of a stair is higher than the bottom.

The area of a concrete pedestal is less than the footing it rests on.

Stuff like that.

To add to the list:

That the cheap fluid for the intermediate transaxle fluid change is actually cheaper than ATF-WS.

3. bryceb04

bryceb04 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I was stupid and over torqued the plugs doing the job this weekend. I went off memory and did 39 ft lbs instead of 29. 39 is N m in the book. I won't have a chance to really look at it until the weekend. I'm hoping the gasket bore the brunt of my mistake and I didn't damage threads. How freaked out should I be? I'm really kicking myself right now. Stupid mistake.

4. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Should be fine, leave it alone if it doesn't leak

5. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just my suggestion... perhaps starting a new thread on the subject with less accusatory language. I don't think you will find many that disagree the fluid should be changed. The frequency is possibly another story. Based on the UOAs, people can make up their own minds.
    Ultimately we don't have any solid proof that not doing it will cause premature failure. So you really can't say Toyota "dropped the ball". IMHO.

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bill, welcome to car forums.

Most (not all) of the members here are neither mechanically inclined or knowledgeable. Reality Check....we are talking about Prius owners. In fact, most people in general, know or do nothing more than gas up, drive and buy a new car every couple of years. You are more likely to be criticized for "wasting money" on maintenance, and complimented for "wasting more money" for body kits, stereos, lights and other aesthetics on this site. The people on this forum are actually a very good bunch when compared to most, but considering the perceived demographics, do not take it to heart if their priorities are not the same as yours. Just accept it and move on to the next topic. There is a lot of good stuff in here covering most subjects. ;)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Guys,
    Thanks for the information. As I said before, I was mainly trying to make this subject available to the infrequent user of this site.

Spidey, I pulled a nasty brew of "metal debris" out at 112k miles but, as you say, "Ultimately we don't have any solid proof that not doing it will cause premature failure."
    But I also can't say Toyota has a good plan for this transaxle - "No maintenance required".

Frodo, Thanks for the funny 'Reality Check' ! I am now moving on.
    Although I will be posting my analysis of the Mobil 1 ATF at 5k miles and replacing it with Redline D6 next time.'
    BTW, I was a 737-800 CAT III avionics guy for one of your competitors for a while. Love your cattle cars ! ;)

9. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I have a perhaps silly question here: aren't there powerful magnets in MG1 and MG2 in the transaxle? If so, why are we seeing *any* metal at all in the UOAs? Also, should the magnetic drain plug suggested by the OP be more powerful than the magnets in MG1 and MG2 to be able to attract the metal that those magnets missed?

10. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I suspect the metal people are seeing consists mostly of aluminum and brass. My 2nd UOA showed a high concentration of aluminum. I agree, the big magnets in the MGs will be more powerful than the magnet on any of the magnetic drain plugs, but I guess they can't hurt anything.

11. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I dropped a neodymium HDD magnet in the used trans (27K miles) oil container and pulled tiny tiny metal dust on it after three days in the trans oil. I would stir the oil every evening with the magnet.

my2cents

12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "BTW, I was a 737-800 CAT III avionics guy for one of your competitors for a while. Love your cattle cars ! ;)"

Don't you just love those new LED cabin lights. :ROFLMAO: Hope you're happy were you are now. Think I'll take my own advise because now they are going to argue (magnetic) chip detectors.

13. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Chip detector in my magnetic drain plug !!
    Great idea ! Then if my transaxle starts to self destruct at altitude I would have a warning and I could find a field.
    Oh wait, it's just a Prius and I can pull over anywhere....

Soon I'll be changing to Redline D6 and I'll post the analysis of Mobil 1 ATF and close ups of the magnetic drain plug.

14. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bill,
    This is a great thread and your UOA results were very informative. This prompted me to change ATF in mine and do lot's of reading on a topic, in which I have great interest myself.

Why don't you look at the particle analysis posted by Bob on his NHW11 or NHW20 at 50-60,000 miles: 2003 Prius - Cold Weather and Transaxle

The results show lots of harmless small particles but rare particles at the size that is harmful, that is over 14 um. This is why normally there is no huge benefit to replace factory fluid; especially as a careless procedure can introduce outside hard abrasive particles that would be even more harmless compared to soft wear particles.

Now, if you compare to your wear particle analysis numbers after the ATF flush, you have lots of abnormal large particles. To me, an armchair tribologist, this looks like accelerated ABNORMAL wear and the fluid flush was a very good idea, but it may or may not stop the abnormal wear. Keep checking.

BTW, this is a reference to the particle size vs wear correlation (took me forever to find): http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/31706/InTech-Effect_of_abrasive_size_on_wear.pdf

15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I took a fresh look at the oil analysis. The analysis report could have been a little better (*) but
    there are some insights to share:
    Column 1 Column 2
    0 [tr][th]wear[th]112 00 mi[th]420 mi[th]% decrease
    1 [tr][td]Cu[td]43[td]5[td]11.6%
    2 [tr][td]Fe[td]391[td]54[td]13.8%
    3 [tr][td]Si[td]154[td]26[td]16.9%
    4 [tr][td]Al[td]382[td]85[td]22.3%
    5 [tr][td]total[td]970[td]170[td]17.5%
    Source: first post

These are wear materials with statistically significant metrics at 420 miles. When values are too small, a single digit change makes too large of an impact, especially when used to calculate a percentage. What we see
    is about a 17% carry forward of the original oil, the part that can not be drained without disassembly.

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
    0 [tr][th]particles[th]size u[th]112k mi[th]420 mi[th]vol. 112k mi[th]vol. 420 mi.[th]% change
    1 [tr][td]4u[td]4[td]70 318[td]50 908[td]18.9[td]13.6[td]72.4%
    2 [tr][td]6u[td]6[td]48 550[td]6 029[td]43.9[td]5.5[td]12.4%
    3 [tr][td]10u[td]10[td]13 413[td]101[td]56.2[td].4[td]00.8%
    4 [tr][td]14u[td]14[td]1 770[td]77[td]20.3[td].9[td]04.4%
    5 [tr][td]18u[td]18[td]293[td]63[td]7.2[td]1.5[td]21.5%
    6 [tr][td]21u[td]21[td]133[td]56[td]5.2[td]2.2[td]42.1%
    7 [tr][td]38u[td]38[td]13[td]29[td]3.[td]6.7[td]223.1%
    8 [tr][td]50u[td]50[td]6[td]17[td]3.1[td]8.9[td]283.3%
    9 [tr][td][td][td][td][td]157.8[td]39.7[td]25.2%
    Source: first post

What is interesting is to see the smallest particles rapidly fall off and then the significant increase in large particles. This is a real head scratcher.

My speculation on the small particles is they may be replenished by the next larger size particles. This would deplete the larger ones but this speculation falls down at 18 microns. From 18 microns and higher, the total large particle size increases, significantly. Perhaps a detergent or dispersant raised them?

Having an an oil analysis is better than not. However, R&G Labs also provides 40c and 100C oil viscosity, a key metric for how well the oil is working. Also, they hold the sample for 30 days so if you see something 'strange', they can go back and do additional tests. For example, the larger chunks seen in the 420 mi sample, it would be great if there were a microscopic analysis to identify these particles.

Bob Wilson

16. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Bob,
    Thanks for your input and generating these charts.
    The Particle Count chart is incorrect.
    I'm sorry about my crude, old-fashioned copy/past report with red markups.
    I should have made the markups easier to understand.
    My 112k analysis did not show particle count. I asked the lab and they said the sample was too dark for that light-based measurement.
    Your 'particles' chart has my 420 mile analysis in the 112k column and my buddy's (260k on car/60k on fluid) analysis in the 420 mile column.

I'm waiting for the 'oil change reminder' light to come on and I'll be getting a new analysis on the Mobil1 ATF at 5k. This time I'm trying Redline D6. I hope to see improved MPG from the lower viscosity fluid.
    But then, it's getting warmer and MPG will improve anyway...
    I didn't realize there were such variations in ATF viscosity until I read your articles. Thanks !

Attached is the original report of 3 different samples (all ATF WS).

Attached Files:

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bill where is the TBN and TAN numbers on those reports?

18. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I can't answer that.
    Those are listed in the legend at the bottom.
    What's ISO? Something to do with the particle count light-based testing?
    What's Nitration, Sulfation, Oxidation? None of these change much between really old and 420 mile fluid.

I don't care that much as I'm changing it every 5k until the particles and ppm go down.
    What more can I do???? I'm looking forward to taking close ups of the new magnetic drain plug.
    I'll press through the crud and wipe off half of the plug with a ceramic blade and show the height of the crud.

19. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm getting closer to changing from Mobil1 ATF to Redline D6.
    I'll be posting the analysis of 5000 miles using Mobil1 ATF after two really scary analyses....

(actually, I'm bring this thread back to life too)

rrg and peterjmc like this.
  20. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You have to wonder why anyone would be SO determined not to use the correct ATF WS.