1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ATF fluid changes ARE Required.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Bill Norton, Dec 15, 2012.

1. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    +1. Mobil 1 ATF doesn't meet the Toyota-WS specification. (There are few which do, and they include Toyota's own, a Redline product, and an Eneos product).

2. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Where can we find the Toyota Specification that you cite?

Thank you!

3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To Bill (OP),
    did i read the UOA correctly the WS viscosity was 12 cSt@100C? This is totally insane and the only way I can explain it was thick from metal particles. IMHO, this UOA is showing accelerated wear in your transaxle. Was the ATF level correct? Any history of accidents or major repairs? Any noises? Any high speed driving? Any grill blocking?

Now, coming back to the WS as being the best possible fluid, it's best for fuel economy but not necessarily for wear protection. To this day I have a pdf document issued by Toyota in early 2000's that stated that WS ATF allows for superior fuel efficiency while providing "acceptable" wear protection.

NeilPeart, Dino33ca and Tracksyde like this.
  4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice catch, I missed the viscosity.

Bill, do you know for sure that the car had WS in it when you changed it at 112k miles?
    It looks like either someone put the wrong oil in it or the test was wrong.

5. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What's your point? That JASO 1-A is equivalent to Toyota WS? I'll agree this is quite possible, and there is plenty of discussion of the specifications over on bobistheoilguy.com.

My point is that the ATF called for in my Prius is specified to satisfy Toyota WS. That's what I'll be using, and what I used when I drained and filled my unit at 30,000 miles.

6. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at the additive pack, looks very similar to the other WS samples. Other brands have slightly different additive levels.

7. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Guys,

All I know is I drained some nasty dark, with a pearlescent sheen, fluid.
    And my next sample 420 mi. later ( ATF-WS) still shows lots of 'particles'.
    Attached is that full report with comments this time.
    What I posted earlier was an old fashioned copy/paste to put the results of 3 samples together.

I really think the previous owner followed the maintenance schedule which is 'Never change the fluid'.
    I wonder if what I had was typical for a car with 112k mi and no fluid changes?

The dealer didn't have much for records as the owner lived on the other side of Iowa but returned the car for trade-in. I bought it in the home town of Radar O'Reilly, ( for you trivia fans !)

Attached Files:

8. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The metallic particles at 420 miles after your ATF refresh are due to the fact that there is still some ATF lurking in the Tranny after a drain. You are just diluting that old ATF with the fresh fill. This does not indicate continuing wear.

JeffD

frodoz737 likes this.
  9. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's an interesting puzzle. I have seen a few oil analyses on cars with around 60k miles and the oil has sheared to a lower viscosity. I haven't seen any UOAs on Prii with over 100k on the oil but would be surprised if the WS got that much thicker.

10. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not that I agree, but here is Toyota's statement:

Attached Files:

11. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

There is plenty to disagree with:) Thanks for posting it though, even if we don't agree with all of it, it's always a good thing to know what the business/marketing arm's highly filtered version of what the Mothership's engineering is saying.

One of the errors in that document significant to us is the 100,000 miles inspection interval. The warranty/maintenance schedule on my 2010 says every 30,000 miles. In case anyone is wondering, in the Toyota shop manual, "inspections" only consists of checking the level. No sniff, visual or lab tests.

A really fine bypass filter on the transmission would be nice but that would require a pump and with the transmission typically lasting well beyond the first owners time with the car. It wouldn't make bean counter sense to the manufacturer. They are probably right, if everyone's pet project was included by the factory a Prius would cost $80,000 and weigh 4000 pounds.

12. BruceInOKC

BruceInOKC Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can't explain why the viscosity is twice the normal thickness, but I'm not a fan of alleged "lifetime fluids." I would have been frightened, too, seeing iron at 391, aluminum at 392, and silicon at 154. Don't worry about the particle counts, which are notoriously inaccurate. I'm not worried by the M1 ATF, either, since it's within 2 cSt of the Toyota WS.

j12piprius likes this.
  13. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is a lot more to fluid than kinetic viscosity. Additive package is the most important.

14. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    To me, the moral of this thread is:
    There should be a 'Sticky', or whatever needs to be posted, that states clearly that ATF changes ARE required.

and,

Ta'Hell with Toyota's official position on this subject.

I doubt if my transmission would have lasted another 100k miles if I never changed that brew of "metal debris" I found in my transmission. Only time will tell.....

Is there a FAQ or a '101' of Prius ownership on this site?
    This may be an Opportunity for Improvement on this site. Moderators?
    I'm concerned about the new/used car purchaser and the owner that occasionally/rarely comes to this site for a little info or to answer a question they have,,, ( The answer is usually in the Owner's Manual, right? ).

When I found out how simple and elegant the Prius gearbox is,
    (no shifting of gears or clutch surfaces, only gears ,bearings and MG's, not even a filter),
    I purchase one and sold my Golf TDI.
    It's ironic that this is the part of the car I am now worried about.....

Keep in mind that most manufacturers only recommend the use of their own fluids.
    The one valid concern might be the insulation Toyota used on the stator windings of the MG's.
    But other ATFs have wiring, solenoids and such in contact with ATF fluid.
    I will post my next ATF analysis and a pic of the drain plug magnet in 10k miles.

j12piprius and torr310 like this.
  15. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Bill,

Welcome to PriusChat!!! I believe you will find the forum a very valuable tool to place in your toolbox throughout your Prii ownership experience, I know I have. Unfortunately one of the issues with there now being so many different models in the Prii Family is not all the information is listed in every forum. A lot of the information you are asking about has been posted in the Gen II Forums since 2007.

I am a firm believer in regular ATF changes and do them every 50,000 miles now. My next Prii will have a drain and fill at 5,000 miles then again at 20,000 miles then 50,000 miles and every 50,000 after that.
    A couple of sticky's from the Gen II forums:

Transaxle Oil Analysis | PriusChat

DRAFT Transaxle Oil Testing Results | PriusChat

I hope this information is useful. The "Search" function is very useful and can lead to other finds and reports on things such as tires, headlights and the such. Welcome again to PriusChat!!!

Happy driving,
    Chris

16. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
  17. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    CB and jd,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, there is a lot of information on this subject.
    Yes, the site's search is functional but sometimes you get 20+ results with lots of posts to read before you get to the important parts.

And your links: Page 34 with 676 posts, or 'Transaxle oil analysis' and 'DRAFT transaxle oil results'...
    They are interesting to tech-nerds like us. But might be overwhelming to most, I'm afraid.

All I'm doing is advocating for the first time/casual visitor to this site that just purchased a new/used Prius.
    Their first visit might be to see what is recommended for their new car versus the owner's manual or what the dealer tells them.

I have seen other forums with a 101 of recommended maintenance.
    Maybe there needs to be one for each Gen. Maybe a 'sticky' that does not stretch out to page 34?
    I know I'm a noob. I know it's bold of me to make site suggestions.

PS
    I am really enjoying my new Prius! I plan on being with it a long time. To me it's this nice comfortable luxury car that you can't get bad fuel mileage in.
    I only drive fuel efficient cars to keep from sending my dollars 'over there'.
    Before this '1o Prius IV I had:
    '01 VW Golf TDI , sold at 540k miles, used a lot of Iowa made bio-diesel, < 1qt per 10k oil changes.
    '00 Honda Insight, totaled when someone turned left in busy traffic. I was tired of a 2 seater by then...
    '89 Geo Metro, sold at 290k miles after 13 yrs of ownership, < 1qt per 10k oil changes.,but it was rusting in two.
    Mobil 1 was used exclusively.
    I have a bank courier buddy that logged 1.3 million miles on a Honda Accord Wagon, original engine. M1 only.

So, I'm in it for the long haul,
    Regards, B

j12piprius, robertmaria and Dino33ca like this.
  18. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Yes, but most of the useful info is in the OPs first post in that thread and it is a "Sticky".

JeffD

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When I saw the subject of this thread, I thought 'Good deal, Toyota finally saw the light.' It is Christmas Eve and I finally read the full thread. I love yo' all but gosh . . . I'd like to offer some thoughts:
    • 5000 mi ZVW30 transaxle change - I also ordered a particulate analysis and was surprised at the size and quantity of particulate matter in the sample. I understand that manufacturing debris might be in the oil but the amount of sealant debris was an order of magnitude higher than I expected.
    • quality of Type WS - the closest I could find (and I LOOKED!) was aircraft turbine oil and they were slightly less than Type WS. I am planning to fly behind a two-stroke, oil injected engine and if the ash level of Type WS beats the best recommended two-stroke oil, I'm flying Type WS . . . and my airplane is on the line.
    • additives - there is a distinct lack of moly in both Type T-IV and Type WS and that suggests it should be avoided in transmissions that have 300-600+ V electrical potentials. Only transformer oils have compatible moly levels ... none.
    I wish I could find a better transaxle oil than Type WS but I have failed. If someone wants to use something else, I have no problem but no interest until:
    • perform cold weather roll-down test
    • provide a full spectrum oil analysis both virgin and after 7k service miles
    I can be pursaded by credible facts and data. However, I am immune to marketing BS . . . because I will send samples to my oil testing service.

Bob Wilson

20. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When we Prius drivers back up, we really don't go in reverse. The mfd shows going backwards, in reality the Prius stands still and the scenery around it moves forward.:LOL:

DBCassidy