1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ATF fluid changes ARE Required.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Bill Norton, Dec 15, 2012.

1. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would trust Progressive even less than I would trust a cop.

2. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well, I looked up my reports again and found more details.
    I'm currently on track for a $61 discount, but if you read the fine print you pay $30 for the privilege of 'using their technology'.
    Plus after a 30 day 'evaluation' time the thing stays in the car for up to 75 days. I patiently wait for them to tell me to send it back in the box....

It looks like they don't care about my Commuter Life in the Fast Lane!

Here's what you get to see:
    ( This is a friend of a friend, NOT me, OK? )

Monday, 12/17/2012, 50.39 Miles, No hard brakes for me him this day.
    Monday, 12-17-2012.jpg
    I can also see the days I let it warm up the interior, (with the block heater still plugged in), while I'm in the shower. There is a flat line at start up until I get it moving for the day.

The hard brake reporting has a bug. If you are braking hard, for a stop light for instance, at the top of the minute it will report it as 2 stops on consecutive minutes. I know this from a day I went out for lunch and made one hard brake for one stop light.

$31 a year in savings ?!?

I'd rather be playing with my Torque app.

Oh well,,,, I just read that there will be $99 7" tablets coming out soon! I can wait for one of those.
    I'll probably have to buy the $5 app again for the Nexus 7, or whatever tablet I go with.
    Are there any ideas for dash mounting displays and phones?
    I'm tempted to use one of those adhesive discs on the dash and a suction cup tablet/phone mount.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No problem, use it.

FYI, I was reading one of my e-mags and came across this article. A little light weight, it still covers the basics:
    Know the Effects of Water Contamination | Noria Corporation

Bob Wilson

frodoz737 and F8L like this.
  4. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, I heard that Justin loves to huff the fumes from the brake cleaner that I was using to hose down the entire transmission and subframe after the fluid change...

xs650 and F8L like this.
  5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Right about the time you were freaking out because you broke the pump you were using to fill the transaxle is when I decided it was a bad day to stop sniffing brake cleaner. There happened to be a can handy so.......

The Critic likes this.
  6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Pretty much what I saw at 30K and 40K, though I attribute some of the latter to leftover fluid. At 45K the fluid was better, but still ready to change. I will continue to change both oil/filter and ATF at 5k while I own this vehicle. But consider, I'm just some dumb xss, old-timer, mechanic and doesn't know what he's doing. ;)

F8L likes this.
  7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've used my $5 Torque app in 3 devices and didn't have to pay extra. I think that as long as they are linked to the same Google account it's OK. Maybe there is a limit, but I haven't hit it yet.

It seems like the less you pay for software the more generous the usage terms are.

8. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I might have to get mine checked just for the hell of it. I'm only at 22k right now

9. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    There is no "check" (except for level and the HSD seldom leaks), just do an early drain/refill of your ATF at 30k miles. You then can wait 60k miles for the each following ATF exchange. I have done ATF exchanges with Toyota Type WS every 60k miles in my 2004 Prius and lab tests show that it comes out cleaner each time (The first one had very high metallic content). My Prius is now at 233k miles and I will do an ATF exchange again in the spring at 240k miles.

JeffD

10. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Why wait?
    As you can see from the looks of F8L's fluid, it can be nasty at the 30k mark.
    30k miles is not an early ATF change from what we are seeing here.
    +
    Officially it's a "Lifetime Fluid". Lifetime of the transaxle,,, which WILL be much shorter following the official line.

And once again, if you want to add to the knowledge base here, spend another $15 on an Oil Analysis Kit.
    And post the report here,,, or somewhere..

xs650 and F8L like this.
  11. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That was worth repeating so I did.

DigitalNomad likes this.
  12. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Deleted. Posted inwrong place.

13. Angry Elf

Angry Elf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Okay guys , I've got a low profile floor Jack and four jackstands . How my going to safely get the car up off the ground and level ? I read here someplace that the car needs to be level to get the proper fill of the transmission . I have safely raised the front end of the car but it makes me a little nervous to go around the back carjacking it up . Has anyone done this before ? If so how ?

14. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Okay, I'll bite.
    The rear suspension is called 'linked trailing arms' or some such term.
    Get you face down there. You can see the cross link from the forward end of each trailing arm.
    It is strong enough to raise the car from the center of that link, if your jack can reach it from the rear.
    If not, jack each side from the proper jack point, one side at a time.

Or get some help.

This is serious business. Always use jack stands.

Don't listen to yahoos like me.

Angry Elf likes this.
  15. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Beware. The "cross link" is not an approved, nor a good place to lift the car. The owners manual and the repair manual both show where and how to lift the car.

The rear suspension is called "Twist beam" or "Torsion Beam" type rear suspension. The trailing arms and cross piece are are one piece made of a multi piece weldment.

edthefox5 likes this.
  16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    XS650 is most correct. Don't jack those unless you want to damage them and there hard to get to anyway.

There's pinch welds fore and aft on the side of the car for jacking. Read the OM. Buy a decent hydraulic jack. Tyhe jack that comes with the car is a joke. And the most important thing and I rarely see it is to use additional oh shit support with the jackstands. Jack the car up high enough to fit two 2x4's height of wood under the tire. Lower it down till the tires almost touch the wood. Thats the height of the jackstand. Jack it back up and put the stands under there. Don't need an exact fit but if a jackstand snaps it will save your life. It costs nothing. And keep the jack engaged too. No load on it but right there backing up a stand. Most important is make sure the stands are level and not leaning at all after the weight of the car is on them. I never ever go under a car with just jackstands. Modern jackstands are Chinese crap.

Google "jackstand failure".

robertmaria and xs650 like this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's a pick (from the Manual) of the jacking points:

prius jacking points.jpg

I put the rear jackstands on the rocker panel, at the Manual proscribed points, in between the 2 notches. But that edge seems very thin to me, so for the heavier front end I prefer to put the jacktands further underbody. This is a second gen pic, but 3rd gen is very similar. Aplogies to the originator of the pic, I should take a shot or two the next time I have the car up:

prius_oilchange_06_resample.jpg

My "insurance policy" is to push a tree trunk section under, before I get under, in the vicinity of where I'll be working.

Angry Elf likes this.
  18. Angry Elf

Angry Elf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you so much ! I appreciate all the input . Looking to do this in about 4 days or so

19. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is "INTERESTING" I have some Harbor Freight 3 ton (6,000lb) stands that I have personally derated to 1,000lb (after looking to see that the welds looked good) to compensate for them being made from Chinesium, the welds did look good. A couple of the failures on Google I saw appeared to be from the ratcheting mechanism letting go, possibly because of misalignment. I need to check the alignment on mine before I use them again.

Thanks

SFO and KK6PD like this.
  20. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A