1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Atlantic Hurricane season 2019

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Apr 23, 2019.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Entire topic of big rain - hail - lightning merits discussion around here. Flying ice is intimately linked to Thor :)

2. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Most likely. You cannot establish it as fact over just a few years, and I don't have much confidence in the climate models. However, it does make intuitive sense. You warm water, it produces water vapor. More water vapor in the atmosphere produces increased rainfall, esp during the summer. The droughts come and go, with or without climate change, and it is much more difficult to establish a causal relationship. The metrics are subject to interpretation and there are far fewer data-points (events). Rainfall as a metric is fairly easy to quantify and there are far more data points.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Dorian remains a tropical storm and may not reach hurricane status. But NHC consensus track has moved to through central Puerto Rico. So rain may be inconveniently much there.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well they do have rolls of paper towels.

Bob Wilson

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and are in need of drinking water

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a lot of acorns this year

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    TS Dorian has tacked enough starboard so that twirly wind center may miss PR to the east. It was 'miss to the west' very few days ago. There may still be some landslides, but not many things knocked down.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm just glad my father isn't in florida anymore. i hope orlando will be okay

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    People on central east coast of FL are supposed to be prepping now.

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    On a practical point, the track suggests North Alabama may suffer a 'rain event'. I have to consider which would be a better 'bug out' car:
    • BMW i3-REx - 40 MPG, 2 gal. gas and 72 mi EV, 50 kW.
    • Tesla Std. Rng. Plus Model 3 - 240 mi EV, 100 kW.
    Although the BMW can fill up at gas stations, gas stations will have queues and problems getting gasoline. Still, filling stations are common and do not need custom maps. The CCS-1/J1772 are not really conducive to cross country travel as the CCS-1 is limited to 50 kW and many charging stations are as low as 40 kW. Inoperative and empty gas stations were a problem in the 2011, four day, power outage so I had to haul gas cans out of the area to keep our cars operating.

The Tesla requires a map, already built-in, for the SuperCharger network. But the alternative, J1772, is speed limited to ~6.6 kW (32 A) and I decided not to buy the $450, 50 kW limited, CHAdeMO adapter. Once in an area with a working SuperCharger, I can stop-to-stop, move away from the damaged area. We also have a natural gas fired, 16 kW, emergency generator which can keep the Tesla working. Even during the 2011, four day, power outage, we always had natural gas which is well equipped to handle power outages.

Bob Wilson

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    With a risk of miss prediction, I don't see Dorian as being calamitous for your area. Bugging out would probably not require long distance travel. Plan on Tesla.

Folks in central east coast Florida might get a bit more adventure than hoped for this time though.

Dorian avoided high terrain of Puerto Rico pretty neatly, avoided that disassembly, and now gets to fatten up en route to FL. Over shallow water I may add, where OTEC could not kill a hurricane even if people wanted that.

On a political note, D Presidential candidate really ought to remind Floridians that there may be a better choice.

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We are under a high pressure center that typically moves east. There is a risk the backside of the high pressure system could 'suck' the revenants up the Mississippi Valley including Mississippi and Alabama:
    [​IMG]
    If just rain, no problem especially if there is no jet stream overhead. Still, flash flooding has become common.

Bob Wilson

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I like the idea of our 700 mile range hycam,
    But around here, if you’re gonna get, you better get early

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    disney world declares state of emergency

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Forecast model tracks are tight here

Tropical Cyclone Intensity and Track Forecasts

Melbourne area has population density >5000/sq mile and those appear to be the most wind challenged. NOAA precipitation forecasts imply recurvature to north, but track models are not calling for that. :unsure:

18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Consensus has shifted south just a bit. If for whatever reason, readers look for West Plm Beach area to get slapped, this could be the one.

Remember windy.com? Not sure what model(s) they run but tracks still further south and with later arrival.

19. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We're stocking up a little and preparing to batten down the hatches in case it comes this far west. There are some outlier spaghetti models indicating it could make it to the Gulf south of us and then come up the west coast. That might get more interesting on this side of the state.

frodoz737 likes this.
  20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Look, dudes: NOAA NHC dropped the bottom out of Dorian. Now calling 948 millibars central pressure with earlier >970. My personal number for substantial destruction is 960.

Y'all know where to find model track details. That centerline predictions could still be 100 miles off. That wind are higher on north side and lower on south. IMHO many people ought to be on the road in runaway directions. Boynton FL has evacuation shelters very near to coast and those look like very bad options to me.

A similar-here-path storm in 1928 was called Okeechobee hurricane:

1928 Florida hurricane cf 2019 Dorian.jpg

800px-1928_Okeechobee_hurricane_track.png

Wish I could share image I created to show population growth by county, 1930 to 2019, but that file seems to have been black holed. Suffice it to say that several target counties have grown >40 fold but others <2 fold.

Dang that was a nice map. Sad it's gone.

#40 tochatihu, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    jerrymildred likes this.