1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Atlantic hurricane season

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jun 5, 2016.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    with maria to potentially hit in a week, i would suggest making sure supplies are up to snuff, re evacuation is prepared for, and cleanup/repowering continue, all while keeping a weather eye out.

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    H. Maria's eye has just passed over Dominica. Some of Virgin Island and Puerto Rico are on centerline of model consensus. I've read that it could be worst in Puerto Rico since 1928 but I doubt it will outdo 1998 Georges.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Maria's effects on Puerto Rico (etc.) will be worse because of earlier close pass of Irma. This multiple pass aspect of 2017 season is very uncommon.

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looking up pr hurricanes, i was surprised at how relatively unscathed they have been.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    PR is a small target. Dominica is even smaller and just now* had its first substantial blow.

These days the north or northeast side of cyclones is called 'dirty'. NE Puerto Rico will get that, unless some veering off occurs. That area was on the clean side of Irma.

* we don't know history from many small Carib islands either because not many old records survive.

bisco likes this.
  6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    World's biggest cyclone target is probably Philippines because it covers those lines of latitude so well.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's strange, but i just assumed that most of those islands got whacked every few years.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The sea surface images showed Irma cooled the north of the islands but the south side was untouched. It was still terribly warm.

Bob Wilson

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Possibly obsolete statistics from Puerto Rico are hurricane somewhere on island every 10 years. and same-site repeats every 60 years.

If prehistory was similar, then repeated hits are an ecological filter on what can persist there. After the other filter of what species can arrive. Island ecologists spin yarns about such things all the time :)

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Images of palm fronds thrashing about are with middling winds. Real winds decapitate those trees, and many stout buildings as well.

Maria remains compact (eye and wind field) but she is strong. 909 millibars tells me there will be extreme damage in a narrow strip through Puerto Rico. There is a large dam & reservoir 'upstream' of San Juan that I'd rather not think about. That city itself is in a very bad location.

Buena suerte y Dios le bendiga.

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Very little news from Puerto Rico during daylight cycle just ended. Electrical supply is zeroed out, water supply largely disrupted. Non-local news mostly seems to be reporting each others' reporting.

Doppler radar went down very early, along with all weather stations I could find. We may not know the extent to which 120+ mph winds were received.

WAPA TV remains on air and online, in the local Spanish dialect and velocity. From them I learned that a famous local mentalist incorrectly predicted Maria's eye would miss. That island-wide curfew is 6PM to 6 AM until further notice. That all reporters 'in the field' saw high water and heavy damage.

Not much point in guessing yet, but there must be extensive damage to many structures, vehicles, and boats. Loiza reservoir ( I mentioned above) survived, along with its data streams, so may post later on what seems to have happened there.

Imagine PR as a rectangle. Draw line connecting middle of west edge to middle of south edge. Everywhere above that line, things are in poor shape now.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my wife heard 6 months to restore power, not sure that is correct though.

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    High-voltage lines are down, and first needing repair. Then, distribution hubs and their local outfeeds. Finally the outback. Places located well (um, near government) might repower within ~2 weeks. Outward edges could very well wait 3 months or more. It was thus after 1998 Georges.

After Georges the only Puerto Rico deaths were by bungling cleanup or carbon monoxide from 'personal' generators. I see no need to play those songs again.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how do they produce power, oil generators?

15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Oil-fired is 73%, within 95% fossil; remaining 5% is equally split between solar and wind. No hydro (!) PREPA says 4 to 6 months to repair. May mean generators are damaged in addition to transmission/distribution. Or, that they just have no money.

This island also went dark after 1998 Hurricane Georges. Urban areas then were relit within 2 weeks, but rural distribution took about 4 months to complete.

bisco likes this.
  16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    PR/Maria is now in that awful time where carbon monoxide from home generators always add to deaths.

bwilson4web likes this.
  17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Gawd I keep saying that...

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think they are gonna need a lot of supplies from the mainland. perhaps as drastic as food drops.

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sad to say, we've had a lot of practice:
    1. get the airports working again
    2. get the roads cleared
    3. get the docks working
    Houston has a flood damaged debris problem.

Bob Wilson

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    praying north carolina isn't next.