1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Atlantis... in the Spanish mud flats...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by amm0bob, Mar 14, 2011.

1. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If the Atlantians had properly built the place out of permalloys such as tritanium, duranium, nutronium and transparent aluminum, it would make it so much easier to locate, even in a mire of mud. And a tsunami would have done nothing more than move it inland a short distance. Stone buildings? I expected much more from them.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I couldn't agree with you more. If my Atlantian folklore is up to snuff, I believe it was their utter lack of tsunami detection sensors located across the seafloor that prevented them from even knowing the tsunami was coming. Coupled by the fact that there was no tsunami warning app for the aPad. Besides, if they'd just watched the same NatGeo show I did they'd have known that the area had already been hit by multiple tsunamis in the past.
    Very short-sighted indeed.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And those Easter Islanders, too. Wasting their time erecting monuments to themselves, chopping down all the trees, altering their climate, burdening their environment with overpopulation.....hmmm. Yup, should have seen it coming. ;)

4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Why is it when some nutjob "discovers", say, perpetual motion, it makes headlines; however when it gets roundly disputed by reputable sources, all you hear from the news is crickets.

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm sure the dwindling natural resources were obvious to many Easter Islanders but if they spoke up they likely got a dinner invitation...as a main course, not as a guest.

6. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the buildings are mostly toppled and covered in several feet of debris and mud, like we saw at Sendai, it's probably better to abandon it and move on. Especially if trapped water stays on the site for weeks, and all you smell is muck and rotting bodies. But the foundations of the buildings can remain there, largely in place, at least enough to get an idea of streets and ports...

Of course, Spongebob visited the real Atlantis site, so we know it's close to Bikini Bottom. Now we just need to ask David Hasselhoff where Bikini Bottom is.

I haven't seen the special yet, but it would be disappointing if this is all based on conjecture and cherry-picked evidence. I am still disappointed by the Discovery channel running shows on the Bermuda Triangle and other pseudo-science, I was hoping National Geographic would stay above that. When it gets on the History channel, then I'll know it's got some validity.

7. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think we're onto something there. All we need now is a reference to bigamy.

8. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You mean the same network that constantly airs all those ghost hunting shows? And that the Nazi's had alien help? Ancient aliens? Bermuda Triangle still active? And the same network that has programs about how most of the American presidents have vast ties to the Masons? (OK, that might be true). 'Nostradamus Effect "2012 Extinction"?' Perhaps Atlantians were the beginning of the Masons and we're able to detect Nazi and Atlantian ghosts in the old shuttered hospitals and prisons.

I am so glad I don't watch any of that crap.

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You seem fairly knowledgeable about a channel you never watch. ;)

10. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been able to catch all that just by flippin' channels in a hotel room...

Sit through just one of their 10-minute commercial "breaks", and you'll see all that, and more, before the 5-minute slice of show you are watching comes back on.

I really don't miss TV.

11. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just checked out the History Channel website (I don't watch it). Shows they have: "Pawn Stars", "Only In America With Larry The Cable Guy", ""Swamp People". They should rename themselves The Redneck Channel.

12. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Hertofore, I respected National Geographic .... the magazine. But the TV show is very predictable .... an interesting topic, followed by about 10 minutes of film, that is repeated at least 4 times during the show .... the ever present danger always lurking near-by, then...... no definitive conclusion. One is left somewhat cheated, and a feeling that the "explorers" are so much more imaginative that the viewers, for they can find "evidence" of man on any surface, rock, or sky debris.

13. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'll stand in his defense. I love the History Channel but hate some of their programming. Unfortunately, I have to tolerate the commercials for the shows I can't stand. You can get the gist of an entire season of shows just from one 30-second commercial.

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I stand corrected. My apologies, DavidA.

I don't even scan the guide or watch the 'up next' ads, so I really had no idea. It just seemed funny that...never mind. I was only teasing. Sorry.

15. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    at least they didn't have to worry about a nuclear reactor going awry

16. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm sorry I couldn't jump back in here sooner, I had to wait for Pawn Stars
    Brothels & Busses Blunderbuss
    to end.

17. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, I just watched the show. I didn't think it was so bad. They give some evidence for it, give some evidence for counter claims, say what's been found so far. The inland city that was supposedly built in tribute to this lost city (along with the one Egyptian symbol of metal working) is definitely a reach. But overall, I though it was interesting, and gave some food for thought, which is better than 90% of the other channels.

18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You could always DVR the History Channel and watch it without commercials, but then your history wouldn't be current.

:confused::rolleyes:;)

Tom

2 people like this.
  19. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ghost Hunters is on the SyFy channel. The Discovery Channel had the shows about Free Masons and hidden symbols, etc. I'm not sure about the Nazis and aliens, never saw the ads for that one, is that part of Ancient Aliens?

Okay, the other two you picked, Nostradamus and Ancient Aliens, are a bit out there. I haven't seen much of them. And then there's debate why something like "Ice Road Truckers" or "Gangland Wars" or "Ax Men" belongs on the history channel anyway. They seem to be expanding their focus with the motto "Where History is Made Everyday".

But it used to be they only had shows on WWII, so it's nice that they've expanded beyond that. It would be better if they stuck with pure science.

I do agree with Hyo Silver's original comment, that's not just from sitting in a hotel room one night casually flipping channels, unless you have a photographic memory and watched a good half-hour if not much more to get that particular selection, filtering out of course the good shows.