1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Atomic Photos of failing batteries

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by Mendel Leisk, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    pilotgrrl, bisco, Mark57 and 2 others like this.
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had to track down dendrites in a different context. Mine were forming on the surface of a printed circuit board in near-condensing humidity, shorting to a sensitive power supply feedback control node, causing a momentary high voltage condition that blew up a separate part. The high voltage also cleared the dendrite, so the power supply returned to normal operation. Once I was able to reproduce and record some events in action in an environmental chamber, and figured out just where they must be getting triggered, the manufacturing folks were able to see them at low optical magnification. And fix them by changed the soldering process to a cleaner (though more expensive) method, leaving less residual surface contamination.

But that was easy compared to what these battery guys are doing.

#2 fuzzy1, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  3. Maybe the challenge isn't to prevent dendrites, but... what if there was a way to use nanobots to repair dendrites automatically?

RCO likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pretty cool photography. should help in advancing battery tech.