1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ATOTO F7 XE 7" wireless Carplay/AA head unit install in 2005 (non-JBL)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by bbrages, May 11, 2023.

1. bbrages

bbrages Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just installed an ATOTO F7 XE in my son's 2005. He purchased it as an Ebay refurb for about $125.

Also used the double-DIN Metra kit 95-8240B and the Metra 70-1761 harness.

Installation was pretty easy, just following the directions. The factory radio had a CD changer so we replaced that with a tray picked up from the junkyard.

The only issues were the 68 ohm resistor and steering wheel controls. I crimped the resistor onto some wires and put a heat shrink over the resistor.

For steering wheel controls, I connected them straight into the ATOTO, connecting the red wire from the car wiring to ground and the other two (white and pink?) to the SWC inputs on the ATOTO. Worked fine, just had to program them in the head unit.

The ATOTO has a row of buttons at the bottom of the display, and they are not too convenient to use, as they are next to a ledge from the Metra dash kit. So it's good that the steering wheel controls work.

We ran the cord for the included microphone across the dash and up inside the A-pillar trim, clipping it to the top of the A-pillar.

My son is happy with the install. Wireless Android Auto is very convenient and works well. The overall performance of this head unit is satisfactory and the price is very good. I would recommend it to anyone. One complaint is that even at its dimmest setting, it's still a bit bright.

Rational likes this.
  2. furok23

furok23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    SE
    For the Metra 95-8240B, did you guy just the dash trim kit, or did you get the dash trim + SWC wiring harness kit as well? Seems they're both the same part number on Amazon

3. furok23

furok23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    SE
    Just kidding. After exploring further, it seems the SWC harness is anther pn.

upload_2023-7-12_1-37-51.png

And reading between the lines in your post, you implied you were able to connect the SWC from the car straight to the ATOTO. As far as I know, the SWC from the car are terminated in some flavor of connector - did you remove them from that connector so you could splice them into the SWC harness of the ATOTO, or is there another SWC hardness you got?

4. bbrages

bbrages Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't remember now... but I think I might have used a "wire tap" to splice onto the wires going to the steering wheel controls.

5. Matthew Brighs

Matthew Brighs New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey folks,

I picked up a 2008 Prius (non JBL) and just want to know the basics.
    1. Where is the amp located? Picture or it didn’t happen.
    2. What wire harnesses are required to fit it.
    3. What amps are suitable replacements if I want to use the stock non JBL speakers?
    4. Are there wiring diagrams out there that show how the cables are run through the vehicle?
    Please help! I need tunes!

cheers,

6. bbrages

bbrages Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There was no factory amp in my son's 2005 non-JBL system and we did not install one.

The wire harnesses are listed in the post above.

What amp to get depends on what you are after. A small Class D amp makes sense to me for a modest installation.

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In simplest of terms....press the power button to turn on the radio and select your favorite station.

Why would you install an amp(lifier), but remain using the stock OEM non-JBL speakers. Doesn't that sound like damaged speakers waiting to happen? Don't most aftermarket radios supply enough 'ummmph' to fully power stock speakers?