1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Atrial Fibrillation surprise

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Nov 7, 2013.

1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Concur.
    I'm glad you're on the mend Bob.

2. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Glad it seems to be working out, Bob.

4. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Merkey and fuzzy1 like this.
  5. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ I've run 9 marathons - two up Pikes Peak, plus one 50km ultramarathon. So I support doing long-distance running. Cooper's Aerobic Center in Dallas estimates running on a regular basis may add 7-10 years to life expectancy.

Athletes don't want to quit - RGIII got re-injured last year with career implications. I'm just wishing Joy Johnson went to the hospital right after she fell at Mile 20 - ironically that is the point commonly known as "hitting the wall."

Merkey likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The closest I came to a marathon was: JFK 50 Mile Run held in Boonsboro MD the Saturday before Thanksgiving

I was in the Marines and we had a staff sergeant I wanted to 'run to ground.' A bit of jerk and braggart, I wanted to get him in a long distance race and help run him to exhaustion. So I showed him the race and suggested we sign-up. Unfortunately, we had a lady gunnery sergeant and she decided 'we all should go.'

Now in any unit, you'll have a distribution of skills and abilities. At that time, I was maxing out the 3 mile run, 18 minutes. But I knew the rest of the kids were no where near in shape for a 50 miler at any speed. So I knew I would have to do 'clean-up.'

In Marine bootcamp, I was the platoon guide and when we had a long or steep slog, I would announce, "Squad leaders to the rear!" Squad leaders are your fittest members and have a responsibility for their squad members. By putting the squad leaders at the rear, they could 'police' the weak bodies so everyone completed the march and I was behind them. So if someone is starting to fall out, the squad leaders could help them get there.

Well that day there was an ice storm up at Hagerstown and happily, over half of the folks stayed home. But the *sshole staff sergeant and a few newbies showed up. The race starts and sure enough, the staff sergeant and a few others are gone. But I'm behind the weak bodies. At the first 'break' area, we got the weak ones to realize, 'You tried, head back to the van and get warm.'

So I'm making up time, running in sweats, synthetic long johns, wool shirt, and a rain suit . . . dressed for the freezing drizzle. I reached the tow path along the Potomac when I came across Sgt. Nelson . . . and he was hurting!

Sgt. Nelson came in sweats but no rain suit and not in wool. He was barely able to joggish because hypothermia had chilled him to the bone. I gave him my rain suit top, the easiest to get on him, and stayed with him to the next 'station.' Then we got a ride back to the parking area and headed home.

I didn't get a good reading on the distance but based upon time, I estimate between 15 and 18 miles. It is really hard to tell. The *sshole staff sergeant didn't complete the race (I knew he wouldn't) but he was a little more quiet afterwards. Some folks were a little achy afterwards but no one was abandoned. But that was a long, long time ago, 1973-74.

Bob Wilson

7. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bob,

15-18 miles was a good run without building up to it - I could not do that again unless I started to run again for about six months. Like weight training, it's necessary to make short runs almost daily, with 1-2 long runs during the week to go farther.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Back then, we had a physical fitness test twice per year:
    • maximum pull-ups
    • sit-ups in 2 minutes
    • time 3 mile run - 18 minutes max score, 28 minutes minimum
    I could max the sit-ups and 3 mile run but only do 4-6 pull-ups.

So my typical week involved at least three runs, no less than two. If tweaking for something, I would do four runs and add a mile on one of them. My running shoes were canvas top, deck shoes, the lightest shoes I could find to run on . . . and it was run. Running on the front pads of the foot.

Now they would gather us all together and say "Go!" but I would start from the back and coast the first mile and a half. If you were at the front, you'd have a crowd of sprinters who would soon enough slow down . . . a foot race traffic jam. So I would pick my way through the pack while getting 'my heat' on. But once I passed the two mile mark, it was 'balls the wall.' The goal was to end the run at the verge of oxygen starvation and then 'walk it off' to cool down.

After I got out of the Marine Corps, anytime I was stressed at work, I would start running again. Something about hard physical exercise helps resolve a lot of mental stress issues. I've seen it work in others too.

Bob Wilson

ps. The longest, measured, single run was 13 miles, solo, but I didn't bring enough water and got dehydrated. I begged a hose from someone watering their lawn before I got home.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While it does seem a shame that her demise was 'unnecessarily early' from an untreated injury, the fact remains that the current state of medical technology still requires all of us to go.

She squeezed out a significantly more years than average, was very functional and had a fully active day doing what she wanted the day before she died, and went quietly and peacefully in her sleep. That is much better exit than most of us will get.

10. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The running technique of doing the first half slow and second half faster is called a Negative Split

I trained for a 5K a few years ago and was fortunate enough to have a young lady as my trainer. She was a lawyer by occupation and ran track in HS and college. She helped me and others gratis.

We are still in touch.

She is a knock out in person and looks great must be all that training. She says one of the e benefits of running is she doesn't count calories and clothes look great on her. Than again she is in her 30 's

For most people who are older power walking a 5K is very good for the heart and helps with weight control. I do one a week now just to get some fresh air

Many marathon runners are like that, they have pain and ignore and and stop at nothing. Case in point the last Boston Marathon with the bomb blast that knocked the older runner flat on his face from the shock wave got up was dizzy and continued to finish the race. His focus was finish regardless of what is occurring around you or to you.

Unfortunately this women if she got medical help may have survived. Natasha Richardson refused medical care after a head bump. Her brain swollen in her head she was dead in a day .

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was no good at sports when I was a kid. Lousy coordination. I was the one nobody wanted on their team, and the refrain I heard over and over was "We lost because of you!" Not surprisingly, I avoided sports and physical activity like the plague.

I was 30 when I started riding a bike for exercise, and 35 when I started jogging. I wanted very much to run a marathon and kept hearing "Anybody can run a marathon." I tried to follow the training regimen in the running magazines, but my knees and feet could not take it, and I kept injuring myself. I finally quit trying, and quit entering the 10K fun runs, and stuck to 3 miles, a distance I could do (between 27 and 28 1/2 minutes) and was fine.

Six years ago, at the age of 59, it began to be more difficult and I slowed down rather suddenly. Then for a few years, until my operation, the atrial fibrillation made running almost impossible. These days it's a good day when I can run 3 miles. Sometimes I run 2 1/2 miles. Some days I ride the exercise bike 45 minutes or an hour. Since my knee injury this summer I have not run, and the cataract surgery requires a month from the second eye of nothing jarring. I.e 6 weeks total. But overall, exercise cured me of chronic depression and difficulty sleeping, both of which I suffered with before.

I hope to resume jogging after my knee, my eyes, and my prostate are all healed.

Merkey and JMD like this.
  12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hi Bob, glad that you are in good shape now. Is this the sort of situation that might lead to implanting some sort of pacemaker later?

13. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Daniel you should have your Dr. clear you for exercise. Just walking a Mile a day with a friend or your iPod will be in many cases adequate exercise. 20 Minutes to a half hour of brisk walking is all you need to keep a healthy heart. A few walking Clubs are available thus you can walk with others which makes it more fun and you tend to keep up with the program longer.

I need to start my program up again beyond the one day a week I do and sometimes miss also. I was doing a 5K 3 times a week walking and one day was my push day usually a Sunday.

Work in so intense now a days that I side lined the walk program. I guess I have to start it up again.

Map My Run is a few dollars and works with the iPhone. They have a free version also. It is a pedometer and provides stats on your walking speed, distance and elevation. It keeps a history. It also coaches you and you can tweet or facebook post your activity if you want. It is set up for walking, jogging, running or bicycle.

Nike has a similar application.

Map MyRun has a device that you put in your pocket and walk around all day at work, home etc. and it syncs with your iPhone application and lets you know how many steps or miles you traveled all day. The goal is to get to 10,000 steps a day and heart disease will not be your problem.

Fitbit is another it is a bracelet and it's sold at Sports Authority. Nike has one also.

I have used Map my Run for many years. It has is much better and accurate than the old days.

Although these tools are targeting runners they are used by walkers every day to keep accurate information.

Running, Running Maps and Running Routes, Runners Community | MapMyRun

Official Store

Nike+

14. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  15. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Glad you survived Bob! Not a very pleasant experience.

I have a left bundle branch blockage caused by a viral infection. I get a range of symptoms including tachycardia. bradycardia, (not sure that's spelt correctly) and ectopic beats. On a couple occasions I have had AFs and lost consciousness briefly. Recently I was diagnosed with low ferritin levels and had an iron infusion. Since then the effects of my symptoms have reduced considerably and I am more able to perform physical exercise. Interesting how sufficient oxygen can make you feel so much better.

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm an exercise addict. As mentioned above, jogging resolved my childhood and young adult depression and my difficulty sleeping. I just plain feel good when I'm exercising regularly (even though I do not enjoy the actual exercise). Exercise is also necessary for me to control my eating, and therefore to keep my weight down for the activity I really love, which is hiking in the mountains. So motivating myself to exercise is not an issue, and I don't need a pedometer or smartphone app to track my exercise (and I don't have a smartphone anyway).

Of course I always ask the doctor if it's okay to exercise, or what type of exercise is permitted, any time I have a medical issue, such as the knee injury, the eye surgery, or now the apparent prostate problem. In general (when I'm not suffering from medical problems) both my primary physician and my cardiologist tell me I can exercise as much as I like. Over the years I've learned my limits: how much I can exercise without injuring myself, and how much I can exercise without tiring myself so much that I need to take additional days off. I have to take days off. My goal is to maximize the number of days per week and/or minutes per week that I can exercise.

I know that for people who are not in shape, even a few minutes of walking is good. For me, I only count aerobic exercise and weight-lifting in my exercise log. But I'd always rather walk than drive, and unless it's raining I park well away from the store entrance.

On my summer hiking trips in Canada, I burn far more calories every day than in my 45-minute to one-hour exercise sessions at home, but when I return home, it takes a while to build back up to those sessions. Different kinds of exercise affect the body differently and do not translate one to the other. Likewise, when I get to Canada, it takes me a few days to build up to the long hikes I love most. I guess cross-training is the best plan, but at my age I'm limited in what I can do, and spending 6 or 7 hours walking around the city just is not the same as spending the same length of time walking up and down the mountainsides.

If my upcoming snowshoeing trip works out (i.e., if I don't get too cold; i.e., if my new gear is adequate) it could double the amount of time I could spend in the mountains of British Columbia every year.

JMD likes this.
  17. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I get this mental image of Bob.....with a piece of hardware in his chest that he can't (????) tinker with..... :D

Naaaah.
    I'm just not seeing it.
    We'll just have to hope that the AF can be treated without a pacemaker. :eek:

18. Jeffrey Jessup

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I truly hope Bob gets well and lives a long and happy life as we can see by his posts that he is a man that likes to help others and cares about the things he's involved in. The mention of a pacemaker made me want to bring up the owners manual warning about the use of one in or around the Prius. I showed this warning to a friend of mine that has a pacemaker and a defibrillator in his chest and now he refuses to ride in or get near any vehicle that has a smart key operation. Is this a really valid concern?
    Bob, I have type 2 diabetes. Since I went on a weight loss regime, focused on healthier eating habits, I've lost over 70 pounds and my A1C went from >8 to 5.8. I still take my meds and see the doctor every 3 months but the quality of my life has turned around tremendously. I can use stairs without being out of breath, wear a belt instead of suspenders, see certain body parts that I haven't seen in years...lol. Get and stay well as we all need you here badly!

JMD likes this.
  19. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

Agreed on those points - esp. don't start out too fast....think of it like running your battery pack too hard on your hybrid, then towards the end you pay for the great fuel economy when you recal - have forced recharging.

In general, any able-bodied adult can run a marathon if they prepare over months. The pace for some might be a slow jog - some finishers at that pace need to do more of it as they visibly do not look in shape. Other caveats, include joint problems, stuff Daniel mentioned - cycling or swimming might be a better alternative.

You burn the same amount of calories either walking or running a mile, but with running you get the added benefit of aerobic activity and strengthening the heart and lungs.

Just do what you are capable and see a doctor if necessary.

JMD likes this.
  20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Unknown as my Dad lived with it for years and no pacemaker. Apparently there are different grades so we'll have to see what happens. But good news, there is an FAA procedure for getting a medical. I was afraid I'd have to sell the plane . . . and I'd just figured out how to solve the landing gear problem.

The original Dragonfly had the wheels located at the end of the anhedral, canard:
    [​IMG]
    source:
    Dragonfly - Nest of Dragons

• low drag
    • low weight
    • only tires handle landing impulse - in effect the tires and canard spar work like a spring so if the landing is not absolutely smooth, 'greased', the plane springs back into the air. On the third bounce, it lands hard enough to break the canard.
    • wide stance - good for control but challenging for narrow runways . . . don't hit the runway lights.
    So one of the early mods was to re-enforce the wing and mount the landing gear about 1/3 of the way out on the canard:

[​IMG]
    source:
    Dragonfly - Nest of Dragons

• narrower stance but still wide - handles smaller runways
    • no shocks - still limited to tire which still works like a spring but the canard spar is no longer part of the spring mechanism
    • dense fiberglass gear strut - a solid layup of glass and epoxy
    So this is a preliminary sketch:
    [​IMG]
    • winglet - increases the effective canard aspect ratio, replaces Hoerner tips
      • may allow canard to be shortened
    • volume - provides space for shock absorber mechanism to avoid 'spring' instead of solid strut
    • single radius - reduces interference drag of original strut
    • extended - provides distance for shock absorber to work
    • canard ground effect
      • on takeoff - get wheels off in 'hovercraft mode'
      • on landing - rapid force increase to reduce final touchdown sink rate
    Note that a 'sketch' is not a design. It simply starts the interesting parts, refining the concept into something that can become a design. FYI, I might have found an approach to eliminate the anti-lift, trim tab and reduce or eliminate the elevator flutter risk.

Bob Wilson