1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Atrial Fibrillation surprise

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Nov 7, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    At the risk of being censored for posting a topless photo:
    [​IMG]
    (told you I was fat . . . working on it . . . already in 8th fasting day)

Bob Wilson

JMD likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

My A1C measured 6.1 but I am way too heavy. Back in high school, I practiced 'fasting' and find it is an effective way to drop weight provided one does NOT dehydrate:
    • clear broths - provides liquid and salts (aka., electrolytes)
    • lemon - well I just like 'em, vitamins
    • club soda - I like it too
    • gloves, sweaters - the biology turns down so you need to dress warmer
    Knock on wood, my family physician should be little surprised when I show up for my office visit in three weeks. In the meanwhile, I'm working up a food plan.

Bob Wilson

3. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This in better taste than the rumors a couple of scandal sheets said that Duyba has Alzheimer's and now draws naked pictures of himself. :eek:

Note: I was not attempting to go political

4. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Think you can say you did/virtually did a half-marathon - 13.1 miles. :)

It was definitely a half -marathon by the original length (25 miles.) You can blame the British Royal Family for adding the 26th mile so they could see the finishers from Windsor Place in the 1908 Olympics.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Fasting...yuck. You simply must keep blood electrolytes in a a narrow range! Muscles hate deviations in that regard, and apparently your #1 muscle has already been insulted.

Merkey likes this.
  6. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Around 2005, a BP of 160/100 frightened me into being a gym rat. One site that was helpful to me is RealAge: Health Assessments; Tips, Health Information - Sharecare. If you do their poll, have a list of the vitamins and meds, and give an email you don't mind getting soft spam 1-2x a week. At the end of their poll it will list your calendar age, calculate your "real age", then offer suggestion of how to lower your real age.

7. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From reading and the experience of an uncle in the family, a crucial key to long life is postpone your 1st major illness as long as possible, then avoid fighting more than one of them at a time. My uncle: He had heart problems in his 30's, then diabetes. Treatment of one of those conditions tends to improve the other fortunately. Unfortunately at 65 he had prostate cancer, and the radiation treatment interfered with his heart and diabetes issues - he did not make it. Studying centenarians, they generally don't have a major health issue until late in life.

8. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm not a Dr but I would imagine taking it very slow under physician guidance. A brisk walk 20 minutes a day may be what's best but check with your Dr.

My uncle had a heart attack. He changed his diet and did very basic exercise. He throttled back at work and took more vacations. Got a dog and walked him every day. Lived another 25 years no heart trouble after that.

He said he missed red meat guess he limited that food

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's my plan, and i'm sticking to it.;) unfortunately, i have no idea how to go about postponing illness.:cool:

10. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ illness and death will happen - but lifestyle can postpone it.

11. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This was the mantra in all the running magazines I read when I started jogging. I believed it. I do not any longer. While I accept that it might be possible that most healthy adults could build up the cardiovascular endurance, I think that a small percentage of adults has the joints for it. JMO. I have no data to back up this opinion.

I guess I'm scheduled for an early death, then. I developed hyperthyroid when I was 30, had my first prostate operation at about 55, and heart surgery for a-fib 5 or 6 years ago, at 59 or 60. Cataract surgery last month, and scheduled for my third prostate operation in January. OTOH, my cardiologist says my heart is healthy. My cholesterol is high but under control with medication, and my blood pressure is excellent. My weight is smack-dab in the middle of the healthy range for my height, though for jogging and mountain hiking I'd rather be in the bottom half of the healthy range. And in spite of temporary limitations due to a knee injury and eye surgery, I exercise 45 minutes to an hour 4 or 5 times a week. I eat mountains of veggies, lots of fruit, whole grains & legumes, nuts (high in calories, but very healthy in small quantities), and no meat or poultry. I do eat some unhealthy stuff, but only in moderation.

JMD likes this.
  13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    JMD likes this.
  14. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Statin drugs also raise glucose level.

15. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Daniel,

I don't necessarily believe you are going to exit a lot sooner.

16. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Diet is wonder cure for diabetes | UK | News | Daily Express

"They no longer needed life- saving insulin, the level of dangerous fat built up around their hearts was significantly reduced and their cardiac function improved.
    “It is striking to see how a relatively simple intervention of a very low-calorie diet effectively cures Type 2 diabetes,” said the lead author of the study, Dr Sebastiaan Hammer."

JMD likes this.
  17. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How was the cardioversion? Did they premedicate you beforehand? I've done it in the field a few times, but never on someone with a-fib. Usually they're dead when we get there and require more aggressive treatments.

Be careful with the fasting. Electrolyte/mineral deficiencies can cause heart arrhythmias.

Merkey likes this.
  18. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One aspect of afib that hasn't been mentioned yet is the effect of magnesium. The site Magnesium is a collection of summaries of medical studies on the impact of magnesium. A method of supplementation that I didn't see mentioned is to take a bath in epsom salts (magnesium sulfate). Magnesium chloride flakes are another bath salt used to increase magnesium.

JMD likes this.
  19. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I hope not. But I certainly did get some potentially serious illnesses early. The thyroid and the prostate would have killed me without medical intervention, even though with modern (evidence-based) medicine the cures were pretty simple.

"Very" is a relative term. I'm skeptical about "very low-calorie" diets. But diet is a critical factor in diabetes, and less-severe cases of adult-onset diabetes can often be controlled by diet alone, or by diet in combination with exercise.

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

They used propofol:
    • ~9:30 AM - chemical 'stress test' that takes about an hour and a half. They injected something that for 2-3 minutes, elevated breathing rate, gave a flushed feeling, with many symptoms of a walking test. This also included an isotope. It passes in about five minutes. After waiting an hour, I was laid on a gamma ray counter that rotated looking for any blockages. This coats the heart vessels and the scanner provides three 'sections' showing how well it coated.
    • ~11:00 AM - the 'T&E' room, nasal cannula, a mouth piece, final interview by the anesthetist, a technician with the esophagus viewing machine and the propofol (the Michael Jackson cocktail.) When I came to, I was still in the T&E room, groggy. So they rolled me back to the room on the gurney about noon. Two hours of groggy, some black coffee and otherwise normal. Then they disconnected that d*mn bag.
    Agreed. I'm using V8, broths, and at least one lemon per day along with plenty of water. Last night after eight days, I had four cups of salad (mixed greens, cucumber, yellow pepper, and tomato) with balsamic and anchovies (no oil.) I wanted to get some fiber in my gut. Near as I can tell, my fasting protocol is running ~100 calories per day but 100% of the potassium, calcium, and sodium.

I'm working on a nutrition spreadsheet to make sure the usual vitamins A and B complexes are covered. My daily lemon handles vitamin C (and my personal treat.) Cereals are great B complex sources and fiber but the calories are out of my range. So I'm taking a look at cabbage, bok choy, collard greens, kale and other greens.

Bob Wilson