1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Attaching back license plate w/o drilling

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by tahufive4, Apr 22, 2023.

1. tahufive4

tahufive4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The back license plate area seems to come with two holes that are JDM standard, with smaller dimples above that line up with US license plate hole dimensions. Those dimples for for self-driving screws.

I asked the dealer not to drill into the bumper and instead bought a JDM to USDM license plate adapter kit from Amazon. It works but the pre-existing holes were way too big for the screws that came with the kit. I had assumed the screws would fit in the pre-existing holes, but ended up having to use a nut on the other side. It works, but doesn't seem to be very elegant.

How else have people attached their rear license plate without drilling extra holes into the bumper? Any special adapters you used?

Gokhan, TGrracie and Richard III like this.
  2. tahufive4

tahufive4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can see the two oversized JDM holes in these pictures, with the two US standard holes drilled by the dealer above them.

3. TGTGUUD

TGTGUUD Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I hate to be bloody honest but I would just drill it and stop worrying about the holes I’ll never see again in this lifetime.

TGrracie, Richard III, PhoS and 6 others like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That sounds like a step down: previous gens have correctly located holes with weld-nuts, for supplied stainless-steel machine screws, in a recessed zone of the hatch.

#4 Mendel Leisk, Apr 23, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
    TGrracie, Richard III and tahufive4 like this.
  5. Richard III

Richard III Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e

I was looking at the options you mentioned and found a bunch of Tesla owners using adhesive?, They had no front brackets at all? those cars are wacked..
    Then I found a magnetic metal bar set that i ordered on amazon and am going to try. The front plate bracket that came with my car is so perfect, i cant imagine that there is not a similar option for the back. I don't even need the front plate so I may modify that bracket to fit the back. it is obvious there is some intention there.

I have a 2016 prius and a 2023, the 2016 has the hatch situation you are talking about and its nice. The 2023 - is an entire different kind of car than the years before: still all the positives of a prius - but it is definitely designed to be a rebranded sports car. The space in the hatch of my 2016 prius is huge compared to the 2023.: and I love them both so much.in my photo, the 2023 blue is in front of the 2016 blue.
    The new car the plate is below the hatch and has a sort of specialized bracket for the front. Probably due to the 2023 being manufactured in only one of toyotas japan factories and only about 70 sent a year after expected to US. so may be the rear attachment is set for Japan and California standards for the most part.

I understand where you are coming from, however mine came with the front bracket not installed, in the trunk as my state only requires back, the front bracket is so nice, I don't understand why the back doesn't at least have some kind of care, I suppose I can rework the front bracket for the back, however, just some grommets for the holes and well just drilling on a plate in seems wrong considering the detail in the front piece.

Also, I just saw you live in Vancouver BC, That is heaven on earth. My mom and I visited in 2019 for holiday. And while the state of Kentucky especially where we live is pretty , Vancouver was just amazing. My goal is to move there someday, or just across the border on the US side. And be rid of the penny 4 ever. Thank you for posting, I have a 2016 Prius and its really a much more practical car than the 2023, but a prius is a Prius and that's the best part. Good day

#5 Richard III, May 9, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2023
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Richard III

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I'm going to try these two items I saw a porche owner using on you tube - it seems a common problem.

I haven't used this yet - but will probably use the tape and magnetic, I just had my car in for a ceramic glass coating and they said the paint is amazing they had several 100,000 cars there and said they have paint that is horrible. And the prius is gorgeous, I have the blue. But good quality is expected

Attached Files:

7. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I'm probably going to let the dealer put in the self-tapping screws, but when I get home I'll redrill the holes, paint the bare metal edges, and put in nutserts/rivet nuts with stainless bolts in a standard Toyota size.

Richard III likes this.
  8. Richard III

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e

That does sound like the best option. I just don't have a dealership near me that im super excited to go to, and I just had car glass coated inside and out, so im going to try the adhesive magnetic? Maybe maybe not - My 2016 Prius has the holes witht he copper fitteings. Probably done at dealership - I bought is in 2017 with low miles - the 2023 I got the day it landed at the dealership.

9. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    My 2010 had the captive nuts on the back, but one broke free a few years back while changing plates. I got the rivet nut tool to fix it, and at least now I'll finally be able to get a little more value from a rather expensive tool. lol

10. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Those holes are actually nuts; so, using the correct nut should be the way to go.

[​IMG]

#10 Gokhan, May 20, 2023
    Last edited: May 20, 2023