1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Attention: If you have a squeaky CHS water pump! New TSB

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Service Bulletins - TSBs' started by galaxee, Jun 8, 2008.

1. sfaughnan

sfaughnan ssGrover

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The link to the TSB returns 'file can not be found'. If the link is good, can the TSB be reposted. I've heard the noise for over a year, and I'm at 51500mi. Thanks.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It works fine for me.

3. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    sfaughnan,

I have had the same problem every time I try to open a pdf file here for the last few months, even when logged in (it used to be that I couldn't view any attached pictures or pdf files until I learned I had to be logged in first). But I think I know what may be the problem right now. The other day on another site, after getting the same "file cannot be found" message that you see, I got a message that I don't have the latest version of Adobe reader & offer'g to download it then. I didn't have time to stick around for what might have been a lengthly download, so I passed at the time. The next time I see the message again for the download of the latest version, I will make time to do it & then see if I can then view the pdf files here that I too haven't been able to look at.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

Meg&Bear likes this.
  4. sfaughnan

sfaughnan ssGrover

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ken,

Thanks, needed Adobe 9, working fine.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  5. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK since it finally cold out I made a recording of my squeaky water pump.

Just for reference here is the recording I made back in June.
    http://stuff.jaygroh.com/priuschat/coolantnoise.wav

Here is the one I made tonight with temps in the 50s.
    http://stuff.jaygroh.com/priuschat/coolantnoise2.wav

I'm scheduled to have this fixed this Tuesday along with my headlights. I will make another recording after I get it fixed.

Galaxee if this is the noise that the pump makes you may want to put links to my recordings in your first post so others know what to listen for.

Meg&Bear, Pinan and Bob64 like this.
  6. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Your second recording is what my car sounds like all the time, except for the really high pitched squeaks that popped in there a few times briefly. It used to only make a steady whirring noise.

Unfortunately, Toyota Carlsbad thought it sounded normal a couple months ago, or could not duplicate the issue.

7. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Meg&Bear, Pinan, Bob64 and 2 others like this.
  8. Pegasus_

Pegasus_ New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just had mine replaced on Monday (4 days ago) and it sounds much better, though it sounds like it might be running dry. I also now hear gurgling in the heater core every time the engine comes on (even with the heater off.) The dealer said that that should correct itself but to contact them in a few days if it's still happening.

Methinks they forgot to bleed the air out of the system.:(

Meg&Bear likes this.
  9. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My dealer told me that they contacted Toyota about the gurgling sound and it should go away after a few days. I only heard the sound when I left the dealer so I guess the sound is gone for good now.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  10. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just got my coolant transfer pump replaced under this TSB and it sounds much better... the service writer actually told me that they couldn't reproduce the sound (it was a warmish morning) but they went ahead and did it anyway. I thought that was nice of them. :)

They also did the ground-loop isolator TSB fix at the same time, and my iPod sounds a million times better through the Aux-in now when it's also plugged into the DC outlet for charging.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  11. staze

staze Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I called and made an appointment for mine yesterday (appointment is tomorrow) and the guy ordered the parts so they're ready anyway (I think they're just going to do it). This might have something to do with the fact that I've already tried to have it fixed once (before the TSB) and they couldn't reproduce the sound.

After hearing the before and after above, I can't wait. Mine always makes the higher pitch sounds, and it's embarrassing getting out of a brand new (well, 2 years) old Prius only to have people look over at the sound my car is making while I walk away from it.

Can't wait. Also there's the bonus of having the coolant replaced on the ICE side...

But, the above also makes me wonder if I should have my stereo input jack replaced too.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  12. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've got an appointment to get it replaced. It was clear the service writer had no idea what the CHS pump was, but I gave him a copy of the TSB. They had someone check it out and agreed to replace it. However, the part is on backorder and won't be in until the beginning of January.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  13. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I brought mine in on January 2 with the TSB, after having been turned down the previous year since the TSB didn't exist back then and the noise was considered "normal."
    (I suppose in a way it was, since the pump itself hadn't stopped working yet. It was just on its way to being broken and making lots and lots of noise in the meantime. Heh.)

Anyhow, the dealer gave me a call about 40 minutes later saying that my car was ready to be picked up. I went in thinking they were done diagnosing and confirming the issue, and expected to have to bring it back later. Nope, they had the pump replaced and everything was good to go. :eek::D

In the past two days I haven't been hearing the squeal, which is almost spooky, but I'm quite pleased.

Thank you for posting this (and other things), galaxee.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  14. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just noticed the squeak the other day and thought, "oh, oh, pump failure imminent". Then I noticed this thread! I'm way out of warranty, so could anyone tell me the retail on a new pump and what are the consequences of ignoring it other than an obnoxious noise and a marginally larger carbon footprint? I'm due for a 5K checkup so some facts would be useful. Thanks in advance.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  15. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

I have been monitoring the water temp using a ScanGauge, and even though the bearings squeal like a banshee the pump is still doing its job. So the larger carbon footprint is probably a non-issue. I think this is warranted under the Powertrain warrenty, IIRC (5 yr, 60k).

I recall this is about a $200 part from an earlier thread.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  16. krisb1979

krisb1979 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got my squeaky CHS pump replaced Jan 2 under this TSB and the car was fine the rest of that day. It stayed parked the next day. Today I take it out and there's no longer a pump noise at startup or shutdown (not sure if there was one the first day, thinking back, I don't think so) and the temperature warning light comes on. There was no coolant in the reservoir. Is this new problem related to what they did? Did the tech do a poor job of replacement or could it be the part he used is faulty? I plan to get it back to the dealer and have them fix it at their cost since I had no problems until they touched it.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  17. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    whoops, they screwed up, kris! have it towed, you don't want to be driving it like that.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  18. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    galaxee,

Thanks so much for all that you & DH do providing info & advising Prius owners here & at PriusOnLine too. Your posts are appreciated more than you'll ever know.

I just noticed this thread for the 1st time (nowadays I usually just use PriusChat Spy to see the newest posts a couple of times a day) & I went back to Pg 1, post #1 to see the TSB. However I can't open it at all.

For the past couple of months I have been having trouble on this site opening Adobe PDF files, but I don't seem to have any trouble opening Adobe PDF files that anybody sends me within an e-mail. For your info, I have Adobe 7.0 version & when I click on the box to open your TSB pdf, it says it is an Adobe 7.0 file & loads the file but won't open it & gives me an error message (that says : There was an error opening this file. This file cannot be found.). Does anybody have any idea why I can't open Aodobe PDF's on this site but can open them elsewhere? Thanks in advance.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

19. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Meg&Bear likes this.
  20. krisb1979

krisb1979 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    don't i know it. thanks galaxee, i'll let you know how it turns out.