1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Attention Kill A Watt Nerds

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by priuskitty, Aug 18, 2012.

1. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm looking for an App. for my Android that will monitor all the parameters of the Kill A Watt meter. I have a battery back up on my desktop that has software that shows Input/Output Voltage, battery load level and frequency on a graph that is displayed every second. Of course the Kill A Watt graph would be different than my Battery Backup software :
    powercom KIN-2200AP 2200 VA 1320 Watts 6 Outlets UPS

The Kill A Watt software would display Voltage, Amperage , Wattage and KWH. Anybody have any ideas?

The battery backup software is called UPSMON Plus for Windows V2.87 The graph is displayed on the Record Viewer.

Here is a screen shot of my Battery back up UPSMON and RECORD VIEWER.JPG

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Torque app for Android is the best solution I know of... Not many options available yet, but Torque should do it for you!

3. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can you elaborate? I don't see any "kill A Watt" data on Torque app. Like the PIP charger readings (Voltage 120vac, Wattage 1235 watts, Amperage 11.79 amps and KWH 3.0

I found this: Extech DL160 Voltage/Current Datalogger | Dataloggers | Instrumart but current resolution is minimum 10 amps. won't read below 10 amps. the PIP charger measures 11.79 amps but during the last ten minutes of the charging cycle it's at 5.57 amps.

maybe this one's better: Supco LCV LOGiT Current and Voltage Data Logger,3" Length x 2-1/2" Width x 1-3/32" Height: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific but can only record one parameter at a time. No reviews yet tho

Well......I did it........I broke down and bought two, yes two. Couldn't resist 6 months same as cash option. (Billmelater) Supco LOGiT LCV Current & Voltage Data Logger NEW | eBay

4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, by Torque app I mean that there is a process whereby advanced users of Torque are collaborating on figuring out how to translate the available data from the car's data port and then turning it into a visual display/dial/readout on the Android screen...

So eventually I suspect that PiP owners are going to figure out how to tap into some of the special PiP data available while the car is charging, draining, not charging, etc.

Additionally, if you have a need for a 110 ac power supply in your car you could install as big as a 1000 watt power inverter to the 12v battery and hook up your UPS powercom device and get some interesting data about how well the inverter and 12v work together...

Lastly, do some 220volt metering research... There's loads of home energy monitoring systems, as well as Arduino type make your own monitoring systems that you could integrate into your charging station.

Bottom line is that as more and more PiPs get on the road you'll find more and more electronic geeks developing this stuff for you!

Also see here: priuschat.com pip solar charging station - Google Search

5. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think this answers my question: Supco LOGiT LCV Current & Voltage Data Logger NEW | eBay thanks for the feedback tho

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Isn't this data your gonna get from these devices you bought going to be the exact same everytime? I mean to what extent is any of this data ever going to show differences? And even if you could find differences, won't they be minor / not relevant. I guess I'm not clear on what you're going after here?

7. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As the PIP battery ages the wattage becomes less and less. It's nice to know when this happens

Plus.....and this is a BIG plus.....I don't have to sit there and watch the Kill A Watt meter for any changes, I have been doing this and found that the wattage drops to 200ma from time to time, then returns to 1235 watts.

PriusCamper likes this.
  8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cool thanks for clarifying.... I'm a Gen2 owner who still has lots to learn about the new PiP... Sounds like an even greater geek's delight than the car I got...

9. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    here's the latest from my Logger Device. Clamp on A/C current Transformer not registering above .1amp. possibly an update. tried update from Supco website and my Norton Anti Virus blocked the update. calling Norton tomorrow. voltage is correct tho. First test of logging device.JPG EV remaining before charge was 7.0 miles.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What's old is called new . . . . . .

[​IMG]
    :)

11. katooom

katooom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    all right Hill, I'm a newbie and I'll bite, what is that? very cool.

And keep feeding us the data PK!

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The ebay description says single phase. How will that help you log Inverter/HV?
    just a teaser ... the search tool can be your friend. Starting over 8 years ago, there have been almost a dozen gen II owners (& then then gen III) who designed numerous loggers of varying complexity. You know - it's okay to venture outside the plug in sub-catagory now and then. I'm just sayin' - there's a wealth of work that has already been done.

SGH-I717R ? 2

13. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The charger's not three phase. I don't understand what you mean by "Inverter/HV"

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    oh sorry - inverter high voltage - it's alternating current - a comprehensive logging system is going to want to monitor that, too. For that matter the can bus even logs individual module voltages - which is important for determining traction pack health

SGH-I717R ? 2

15. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Figured out the problem with the clamp on current meter. You can't just clamp over both hot and neutral (DUH!) so I stopped by Home Depot, picked up some 12awg insulated wire, a 15 amp plug and receptacle, tested on the line for my desktop with kill a watt meter connected as reference. Got the calibration to within .6a @ 4.0 amps ( logger=3.7 amps, kill= 4.10 amps)

The reason I used my pc to calibrate the logger is because I can't take my desktop outside, (yeah, I know, a laptop would work, but it's at night when I can charge my car and that too much hassle to do.)

ok, later on tonight

Here is the owners manual for the logger.

Attached Files:

16. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  17. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my data logger monitors the voltage and amperage of the power coming out of the 110volt outlet, not from the PIP itself.

Logging Data 8-30-2012.JPG Logging Data 8-30-2012 current only set at factory defalts.JPG ok, here's the latest ( I duck taped the photocell on my parking lot lights so the power to the outlet came on at 5:45pm):whistle:

notice that the current went to zero several times and also notice that the current drops at the last ten minutes of the charge cycle.

18. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  19. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  20. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wish I had that kind of time :) FWIW looking at their approach it should be possible to do the same thing with a small uC board with USB output for quite a bit cheaper. You'd just be tapping the same analog ports to the ADC pins on the uC and then using the same equations. That would also save the complexity of trying to power the xbee off the kill-a-watt's meager built in power supply as the uC could just be USB powered. Course then you have to write the uC code... Would be a great project for somebody ;)

There are probably better options, but with something like this you could add an SD Card for data logging and USB port for $25 Euros:
    PIC USB STARTERKIT PROTOTYPE DEVELOPMENT BOARD FOR PIC18F4550 MICROCONTROLLER

For $30 Euro you could give your kill-a-watt an ethernet jack and webserver :)
    PIC-WEB WEB SERVER WITH FREE OPEN SOURCE TCP-IP STACK FOR PIC MICROCONTROLLERS

Rob