1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Attention Prius Owners, I believe I have discovered a previously unknown Mechanism of Low MPG.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TheLastMojojomo, Nov 2, 2021.

1. Plaman

Plaman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Any updates on this issue? After taking a closer look it appears I too am stuck in the WEAK EV state. I also wonder if it has anything to do with 12V battery levels before / after a reset?

I would be curious if there is a trend where Prius has WEAK EV state and SKS functionality. Do you have the SKS key?

2. TheLastMojojomo

TheLastMojojomo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I am still stuck in the WEAK EV State. I'm currently working on a short video version of this post with both MAX and WEAK EV state data to clarify and make it easy to understand. It will hopefully be done in 1-2 months as I still need to do testing on other Prii. The video form will make it so almost anyone can comprehend with ease.

Yes I have SKS. Almost all Prii have SKS anyways. I don't believe entering the MAX EV state is related to 12v battery levels unless it's basically failing. When my Prius entered the MAX EV state in the past... it would only hold a sub-optimal charge of 12.14 volts max. Not 12.7+. At the 12.14 volts... it entered the MAX EV state 3 different times after a 12v disconnect/reconnect and doing the commute style I describe in the original post. It stayed in the MAX EV State permanently until a 12v disconnect those 3 times.

Entering the MAX EV state I believe is related mostly to commute style and meeting certain pre-conditions during that commute for the HV ECU to make some re-calibrations. Similar to a drive-cycle for an emissions test. Once the pre-conditions are met the HV ECU will do some testing/calibrating and eventually trigger a pass condition that creates the MAX EV State.

See in the original post the post of another user I linked that experienced the WEAK EV state after getting the HV ECU recalibrated. This reset all data of that specific ECU and the OP of that post then goes on to describe exactly what I did for the WEAK EV State.

Again... in a couple months I will hopefully have a roughly 5 minute video to describe all this clearly and it will be very easy to understand. I will then be presenting it to Toyota in the hopes of finding answers.

Anymore questions feel free to ask.

3. DarkAlaranth

DarkAlaranth New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm. I have no data, but I suspect my Prius is in a High state, as it's getting 17Km/l (Worked out by distance travelled/liters refilled) which I believe is just under 40MPG (I do have the fan overridden to be on at all times via the Dr Prius app, as I'm in the tropics I generally don't allow the battery to go above 40C or 104F as the Prius throttles battery usage after that due to temp).

One thing I did do to this battery was manually cycle it in the car by doing the full charge trick of being in drive and holding the brake and accelerator. I used the Dr Prius app however to try and keep the charge rate at approx 20 amps by NOT putting the accelerator to the floor. Once charged, I switch to neutral and watch the app, ignoring any messages/warnings until the blade voltage drops to 7.00v (Need some voltage to restart the engine after all). I'd cycle like this 3 times, and then let it charge itself normally afterwards. When the engine finally stops, is when I would turn the Prius off. 3 cycles/day is to be kind to the battery as it does warm up (Don't want to cook it per se). Also did this in the morning and don't drive it afterwards to allow the battery to cooldown. Did this a few days to cycle the battery and apparently reclaim some capacity, but have noticed now that when we take off in the morning the Prius will run on electric for a short distance, and even drop the voltage as low as 6.3v (under 60a load or so) before deciding the battery was low and started the engine. I have seen it draw up to 80A in this state from the battery bank while taking off, almost like the EV button was being used.

I also have to do this when the 12V has been disconnected too, so maybe it's something with the battery ECU having to re-learn the battery's capacity.

I think I also may have found a way to get the Prius to "top level" charge it's battery pack, but still watching to see if this works. Seems to balance the cells a bit which is handy as there is no balancer in the ECU. It does seem to do it at 3-6 amps at high voltage. Will post more if I can get it doing this reliably without toasting my Prius. ;)

SFO likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    anything new on this?

TheLastMojojomo likes this.
  5. TheLastMojojomo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not really....But I did find 2 more posts describing this low mpg phenomenon:

Problem with electric motor or hybrid system?

Prius less aggresive after battery relative campaign?
    I am making a video connecting all the dots on this post. It will make it much easier to understand, easily shareable, and more mainstream.

The video should be done before the end of July and I'll be making a new post with it.... I'll also post it here too.

Prius owners will see how widespread this low mpg mechanism can be and I will likely be able to garner the help I need to solve it after the video.

Thanks for checking in.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

SFO and bisco like this.
  6. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    What kind of modifications have you done to this poor vehicle?

7. TheLastMojojomo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure exactly what you mean by modifications... but nothing that effects the drivetrain.

I guess technically I run 205/55/R16 tires instead of the OEM tire size of 195/55/R16. 205's are cheaper than 195's, last longer, much better cornering, and prevent the rim cover from hitting the curb when delivering the mail. They're Only 1.7% larger diameter than oems and are cleared as an alternative to the OEM size by Toyota.

Otherwise these are the modifications I've made for Mail Delivery

8. DarkAlaranth

DarkAlaranth New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some of those mods are pretty neat, I have been thinking of making an Arduino based blinker relay box, with two MOSFETs to PWM the LED units I got for fancy fade in out etc... Now, I'm thinking about blinking modes... >_>

I thought initially that a right hand drive prius like from here in AU might be easier for that job, then saw you use the glove boxes... maybe not. :)

9. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    From your OP I had the impression there were mods on the electrical side of the car and was thinking maybe they would have impacted the performance. Guess not. Thanks

10. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Interesting theory. We just need two more things to support your hypothesis and that is what @Mendel Leisk provided in post #6: Number of miles driven and gallons of fuel at fill up.

Here are a few comments:

1. Are you feathering the accelerator to stay in EV mode? Because the hybrid battery is charged in a lossy process through gasoline, the most efficient driving is usually to speed up quickly and then coast. This would only affect city mpg and not hwy mpg. Forcing EV by speeding up slowly would decrease fuel economy.

2. 205 width tires do have an impact. Not 20% but some. My gen 2 is 185 OEM. Even if Toyota approves of the wider tires, do expect some change. If your stock size is 195, you're 2 sizes wider than the vast majority of gen 2's that get ~45 mpg regularly. That's a large difference between most Gen 2 Prius and yours.

3. The bars of SOC remaining is a guess as far as I'm concerned. Sometimes full bars gives me Max EV. Sometimes it gives me Weak EV. This is on both my Gen 2 and Gen 3, although Weak EV happens more often in the Gen 3. Anecdotally, Weak EV tends to happen if I charge up the battery through regenerative braking, i.e. battery bars fill up fast. If through normal engine recharge, then I get Max EV, i.e. battery bars fill up slow. My guess is the BMS reads SOC too high when charged quickly or the battery is too hot to give Max EV. Again, this would only affect city and not highway miles.

The Gen 3 is less likely to remain in EV mode down to 2 bars I think I read this was done on purpose to preserve the hybrid battery life in the Gen 3.

4. DW is driving in permanent Weak EV state. I got closer to 50 mpg and she got closer to 40. Different commute but straight to the hwy and back home. Driving style can pretty much account for the entire 10 mpg delta between some owners and others.

Please don't see this as disagreement. I'm just offering some healthy skepticism. Wish I could provide some data for your research. Good luck, OP.

11. TheLastMojojomo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I appreciate the skepticism... but I am nearly 100% positive this exists... I just need to prove it. Under the "to back up all these claims" You can see the posts I linked of others who have experienced the exact same thing

I'm currently working on a video about it that should be done by the end of July.

If your wife and you both drive Gen 3 Prii... (EDIT: Nevermind I see it's a Gen 2 and Gen 3) you can take turns swapping them and really pay attention to how they accelerate using ev mode/the engine and see if there are different behaviors between the two.

Or you can disconnect the 12v Battery and see if this changes the behavior of pedal angle to EV mode useage/combustion engine behavior...

You have to be very aware of how your Prius drives and functions to make this connection though.

mmmodem likes this.
  12. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Gen 2 definitely maintains EV mode more readily. I can speed up more and stay in EV longer. It's like Max EV as you describe while the Gen 3 is a lot more sensitive and more often than not is in Weak EV. Hence, Gen 2 stays in EV mode. However, I can average 50 mpg in the Gen 3 but only 45 in the Gen 2. DW doesn't drive the Gen 2, only the Gen 3. I drive both. And between the two of us on the Gen 3, we differ by about 10 mpg. I don't know if she's going gangbusters 90 mph. She claims she drives at the speed of traffic.

I'm not skepticle of the two modes you describe. I don't have an opinion either way. They seem plausible and I've experienced both conditions. I'm skepticle on Weak EV mode as the source of low fuel economy.

TheLastMojojomo likes this.
  13. TheLastMojojomo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well stay tuned... I'll have a video out by the end of the month.

You can read the post Possible undiscovered performance and MPG issues with Prius v (lowercase v) @kirill626 wrote.

He's the only other Prius owner who's recognized the scale of this problem. He was definitely on to something. I am just connecting all the dots he missed.

I believe the WEAK EV state to be the Primary cause of Low mpg across Gen 2 and Gen 3 Prii and why you see many struggle to get the EPA estimated mpg... especially if it's primarily city driving.

You don't need to drive in a special way... or use some hyper mile tricks to get good mpg. Some people just don't seem to get that. You can do that driving normally if the Prius is functioning correctly.

mmmodem likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Still, a few easy changes can make a big difference.

Doug McC likes this.
  15. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 3rd generation is always in "weak" mode.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What I say three times is true.

WHCSC, Doug McC and mmmodem like this.
  17. DysgraphicProgrammer

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Holy Shoot. My friend pointed me to this page after I complained about my acceleration never being the same after 2020. I hardly drive at all that year, and when I went back to driving at least once a week in 2021, the car just didn't feel right. It didn't seem to have the 'jump' or 'pop' that it did before. And I think this is it.

The most notable symptom, at least to me is that the care takes more petal to do the same, and it makes more ICE noise doing it.

My dad described it as seeming like the car was "missing a gear". Like it was stuck in 2nd when it should have been in 3rd, until it suddenly found 4th.

Unfortunately, I probably won't have an opportunity to highway commute it. But I did go one one cross-county highway drive from Chicago to North Dakota. Would that not have fixed it?

Chimi1 and Prius Rising like this.
  18. TheLastMojojomo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes having the Prius sit for a long time and having the 12v die will reset the Prius computer and revert the Prius to the WEAK EV State.... causing the Prius to use the ICE more instead of EV Output.

How does flooring the pedal feel... same amount of power?

The Prius Transmissuon is different in that it is only 1 planetary gear set... so it technically never misses gears. It's impossible

What happens though is it varies it's output between 2 electric motors and the engine. They all work together to create power output... when the HV Battery is low or Prius is in the WEAK EV State... the ICE will Rev much higher to deliver power to what would normally be delivered or at least assisted more significantly by MG2 (the large electric motor. So it will feel like it's slipping gears but it's just the ICE delivering the brunt of the power.

Just to make sure... no error code of any kind right?

That's complicated... it's not exactly straightforward what fixes it. My Prius has been stuck in the WEAK EV State for 3 years at this point despite doing the commute that solved it before... you can read about that in the "My Low MPG Story" section of the original post.

19. foaktree

foaktree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

20. foaktree

foaktree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The only 2 things I noticed that directly improved mileage

1 Recalibration of anti-lock brakes. Details for this are in the forum to jumper OBD port. Also one other member accomplished improvement of the brake drag by hammering the brake and throttle at low speed. Both of these seem to work but the result does fall off after several weeks.
    2 Replacement of a weak 12 volt battery. Results of this have held up for - 4 months so far….
    Gen 2 / 220 K mi gets 45 mpg bought with 190Kmi
    Gen 3 / 100 K mi gets 51 mpg
    When I first got Gen 3 at 60Kmi it averaged 54mpg