1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Attn: Security Issue with the Prius!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Aug 11, 2007.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Our hidden fob has a dead sks function ... however, since they have to PROGRAM that function, I wonder if you could just buy a fob and NOT have that function activated. If so, case solved!

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vincent1449p @ Aug 14 2007, 03:47 AM) [snapback]495287[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm... interesting!

Yeah that makes sense esp. since it's much closer to the room oscillator (than the trunk to the inside trunk oscillator)

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you really want to leave a big bunch of keys in the car why not remove the key from the fob and pop the fob in your pocket so you know if someone breaks into the car they can't start it?

I wouldn't leave a remote in the car especially with SKS even if it was wrapped in foil.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i dont leave extra fob in car simply because the SKS runs the battery in the fob down much faster and i think that leaving it in a way that the car can detect it, will just run the battery down prematurely. so i keep my fob in a tin HOPEFULLY far enough away to be undetectable. its in lockbox in master bedroom but bedroom is directly over the garage so distance is less than 10 feet.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    btw, I'm installing LED licence plate lights. When I removed the cover, there's this medium sized rubber square (it's also somewhat flexible in that it can move in any direction). I think that might be the interior ocscillator for the trunk.

As a side note, how the bloody h*** do you remove the bulbs? I've twisted the bulbs til my fingers hurt and I can't get them off! (esp. since no one has replied to my plea for help in the other topic)

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 16 2007, 09:19 AM) [snapback]496893[/snapback]</div>
    Don't they just pull out? Wedge base made of glass?

The hatch oscillator is beside the spare tire (left). It's a black plastic rectangle on a rt angle bracket. As I recall, about 4" long, 3/4" thick, and 3" high. What you found may be the RFID electronics for the hatch release.

7. adamwmcanally

adamwmcanally New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 11 2007, 12:46 AM) [snapback]493896[/snapback]</div>
    I'll make a long story short, we were staying at the Loredo in Santa Fe a few weeks ago, where it is mandatory to valet your car. The line of cars waiting to get parked was looong and we had to rush to get out of the car. I started explaining the SKS to the valet, and he interupted me touting "I am VERY familiar with the Prius." So i left t at that and let him take the car. After setttling into our room i needed something in the car, go to the lot and see that they have little lock boxes attached to each car with the key inside. I walk up to that car and am able to unlock it. He did not turn the sks off. If he had not been so rude about being so familiar with the Prius I would not have been upset, chalking it up to my fault for not turning it off. But it gave me great joy to explain to him what just happened. SO th emoral is, when you valet, tun the sks off.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Aug 16 2007, 08:26 AM) [snapback]496904[/snapback]</div>
    no, you gotta twist then pull out.

9. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jasingjo @ Aug 13 2007, 01:22 PM) [snapback]494769[/snapback]</div>
    Here is the page from the 2006 that lists the SKS options that can be programmed by the dealer. The last one is the one of interest here. Since the default is "LONG" rather than "OFF", we should all be able to repeat Tideland's experience unless you have had the SKS reprogrammed.

Indeed, when I tried the sequence of events in the original post, mine works the same way.

[attachmentid=10700]

- Tom

Attached Files:

• Lock.jpg
      Lock.jpg
      File size:
      169.1 KB
      Views:
  10. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A quote from the '04 "new car features" document, also included near
    the end of my little security rant:
    __ Because the smart entry & start system is so convenient, the
    __ driver could become unaware of the presence of this key, which
    __ could lead to human errors. ... a serious problem, such as an
    __ inability to restart the hybrid system once it has been turned
    __ OFF or the possible theft of the vehicle.
    Two fobs confuses the heck out of it.
    I'm *so* glad my car doesn't include that nightmare.
    _H*

11. Prudence

Prudence New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The SKS did just what it should for me. I was putting groceries in the hatch and as soon as I slammed the hatch shut and hit the lock button, I realized I had just locked in my purse with the fob inside it. I panicked and thought, I'll call my husband. Whoops, phone is in purse. I calmed down a bit and realized I was standing less than 3 feet away from the fob. I hit the button and unlocked the hatch.
    The manual states the fob should be 16 feet away from the car to keep the battery from prematurely being replaced. I never keep the fob anywhere in or near the car when I'm not in it. I have never left a key for any car in the vicinity of my cars. I used to have a plastic key for my last car in my wallet for emergencies.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Aug 16 2007, 02:28 PM) [snapback]497255[/snapback]</div>
    The SKS BACK DOOR option is not the one jasingjo is thinking about.

What you've pointed out is how the back door is to be opened. "LONG" means that the power door button is held for 0.2 seconds. "TWICE" means to open the back door, you press the button twice.

13. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 16 2007, 09:38 PM) [snapback]497466[/snapback]</div>
    That explains the Long and Twice settings that didn't seem to be referenced anywhere else in that section of the manual. However the function is called "Smart Back Door" and is described under content as "Function that enables back door to open when key is inside luggage room". Those sound like jasingjo's option. I suspect it is another case of the service manual having something mixed up between two functions. It seems like you run across something like that every few pages.

Or the Japanese to English translation is likely just giving a mangled description. If this isn't jasingjo's setting, then I don't see anything else in the SKS part of the manual that seems to have that function. In that case, the operation of being able to operate the unlocking of the hatch with the key locked inside seems to be deliberate and unchangeable.

- Tom

14. Banjoman

Banjoman Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I like to be assured of access to my car at any time--key fob or not. To accomplish this with the Prius I wrapped a spare SKS fob in foil and found a hidden place inside the car for it. I also had a duplicate door key made and concealed it on the outside. (A small piece of appropriately colored Duck tape did a fine job attaching the key to an accessible exterior location.) Hope I never need to use either, but nice to know if the need should arise, I can open my Prius and drive away naked!
    :p

15. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    get pictures if you do!
    _H*