1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured AU: Toyota stunned as consumers flock to hybrid version of new RAV4 SUV

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, May 27, 2019.

1. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Who is this organisation, I've never heard of them - there seems to be just a smattering of random results showing up in GOOGLE. I can't find a list of cars they've tested with results - seems a bit hit&miss - but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Comparison with a considerably smaller, and different drive-train (FWD) Quashai and a large Sorento which again is a different drive-train layout - doesn't make sense. But look at the way it's thrown into the corner - it looks like it's driven in a different way, being thrown around, almost trying to roll it over.

TOYOTA responded:
    "At Toyota, the safety of our customers is our number one priority, and to ensure their security, we apply strict safety tests during the development of all our products.

"Our internal tests fully meet the global standards for obstacle avoidance, and since 2016, we have updated our processes to also reflect the procedures used by Teknikens Värld. During its development stage, RAV4 successfully passed all internal tests, including the ISO 3888-2 and the Teknikens Varld elk test.

"We give our assurance to all Toyota customers that they can be confident in the safety of their vehicles.
    ""

2. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This test is more theoretical than real world, but still it shows how SUVs are more prone to tipping over, because of higher center of gravity and maybe more "relaxed" sway bars.

One more thing, this test measures just the entrance speed, then it's to the ESP, how much it slows the car down, more agressive it is the higher the entry speed can be. This means that certain sports cars with more freedom regarding stability program will actually fare worse than some "eco box of a car".

In normal circumstances you will always brake first and then turn to avoid the obstacle, no one in their right mind will just avoid the moose at full speed.

3. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That website doesn't seem to include many moose tests - yes, I found a few that failed - a Jeep too. But try to find how a specific car went, they don't seem to be there. I was looking for some of the more "ordinary" performing cars, as RAV4 has had close to rave reviews for it's handling and performance on many continents.

Back when they were new, the first Klugger - I think a Highlander (?) in USA, actually rolled in a road-test here in Australia!!!!
    upload_2019-9-23_21-25-18.png

5. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure that if you flick a car in the "inappropriate" way which is what this appears, you could get it out of line quite easily. I'd like to see something more objective and better controlled.

Is it my imagination - or did IIHS previously do swerve tests?

6. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks - though they're all pre 2018. 67-68 is in the middle of the pack, though.

8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    So reading the table: minivans 10 lower, Porsche sports cars and other MB AMC cars up in the 81-81 range. Many SUVs in the same range as the Rav4 including Porsche's, I've driven in moose country. And my wife in Bison country. Both in an econbox that scores lower. A friend swerved to avoid a deer and rolled her minivan multiple rolls which resulted in fire.

Am I willing to pay lots more or give up the form factor? No.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  9. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Were hybrids a popular grey market item in Australia?

11. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, not at all. Most grey-market was Japanese "sporty" cars like Supras and some of the tricked-out vans - which weren't sold by Nissan/Toyota/Mitsubishi. Aussies mostly were blind to Hybrids till TAXI drivers bought lots of PRIUS starting maybe a decade ago, and they now buy Camrys. I looked at a Gen 2 PRIUS back about 11-12yrs ago, and it drove so poorly compared with a FOCUS Diesel - I bought the FOCUS.

Trollbait likes this.
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    umm - not all are prone to roll over. In fact some are incredibly stable

noonm and Prodigyplace like this.
  13. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tell me something new.

I specifically said "because of higher center of gravity" and still 99% SUV on the road have high center of gravity, because they are not electric with the skateboard design.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  14. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tying a heavy anchor of a battery to the bottom lowers the center of gravity.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  15. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    UPDATE - Australia:

"... hybrid cars ... 166 per cent up ...".

"... 62 per cent of RAV4s and 61 per cent of Camrys sold in February were the hybrid versions, while the Corolla's tally was a nearly-as-impressive 52 per cent."

C-HR Hybrid arrived recently; YARIS Hybrid due to replace PRIUS c mid-year; Highlander Hybrid (they call it KLUGGER here) early 2021.

Stocks of RAV4 are still "... waiting time of between 4-6 months", and CAMRY still is supply constrained.

Tideland Prius and Prodigyplace like this.
  16. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't understand why Toyota does not offer Hilux Hybrid, or at least make an announcement that they will make it.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  17. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think there is one yet. The current generation was announced in 2014, and generally they've had about a ~10 year life. There is talk that the next generation will have a Hybrid, but I wouldn't expect it for at least 2 yrs, if not 5, unless they accelerate it for some reason. Yes, now that Hybrid has made traction in the market, I think Hilux might sell well.

BUT - RAV4 sales overall are up recently, partly at the cost of HILUX sales. HILUX sales for Feb 2020 are 1000 down on Feb 2019, RAV4 are up 1750.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  18. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps Ford touting their upcoming F-150 hybrid pickup will spur Toyota to finally hybridized the Hilux and Tacoma pickup trucks.

I remember several years ago the plan was to work on a Tundra hybrid after the Camry. The Tacoma has now grown to the size of the 2000 Tundra and the Tundra grew to compete with the larger super duty pickup trucks (F-250).

#78 Prodigyplace, Mar 10, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    alanclarkeau likes this.
  19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The FWD HSD doesn't have the fortitude to hold up under the work an actual truck can see. Even with the help of a rear motor, comparable ICE FWD trucks can out tow and haul it.

The RWD hybrid system in the Lexus LC and LS may have been developed for trucks. It is more complex and higher cost. Rumors here of the Tundra hybrid have it mated to a turbo V6. The fuel efficiency gain will be impressive compared to what the aging V8 offers, but likely not to the ICE competition.

20. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Recently I made a trip with the Prius+ (v in USA) holding 80-85MPH and with my OBD II I've seen the transaxle reaching 115ºC (240ºF).
    To tow (truck service) it would need a cooling system, dedicated...

alanclarkeau and Trollbait like this.