1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Audio and Navigation failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Riaz, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Riaz

Riaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello all,

I have an 06 JDM prius with hardrive based audio and navigation system. Today the car was parked in ready mode with the stereo playing and the audio cut off abruptly. I investigated and found that all of the audio and navigation controls on both the steering wheel and center console were unresponsive. It is impossible to switch between modes I.e. CD, HDD,radio and the CD drive no longer rejects. Bluetooth pairing works but no sound comes from the driver side speaker when in a phone call. When the car is started the MFD shows that it's playing audio from the harddrive as shown below but there's no sound and its impossible to change tracks
    [​IMG]

If I attempt to access the navigation screen I get the following screen with a hard drive symbol and some text in Japanese

[​IMG]

Treble, bass, fader and balance controls are greyed out and unresponsive on the touch screen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Things attempted so far to no avail:

Disconnected and reconnected 12v battery
    Removed and tested 30A AMP fuse in fuse box under hood
    Removed and reseated all 4 connectors on AMP under passenger seat

The amp under passenger seat gets warm to the touch after the car is in ready mode for a while so I know it's getting power. Any ideas on a way forward would be much appreciated. Has anyone experienced this with a JDM prius or USDM prius with hard drive system and 4 speaker audio before?

HTC One_M8 ?

Attached Files:

2. Riaz

Riaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I forgot to mention...there used to be an ASL (automatic sound level) button on the touchscreen next to the sound button which no longer shows up since this problem started.

HTC One_M8 ?

3. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I had an 06'
    The 12v is the first suspect, irregardless.

The steering wheel buttons on mine died slowly, the mfd ( multi function display) also has problems, but the two at once, very possible, however, check the 12 volt battery, replace it, charge the new one then see what happens.
    A search on mfd's here will help, the steering wheel buttons wear out.