1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Audio/Power/Camera Modifications that I need done and don't know where do start and who to ask

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Ardi, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Ardi

Ardi New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi guys,

I'm a T3 (UK base model, no Cruise Control, no GPS, no rear view camera, no bluetooth) Prius 2005 owner. The reason why I bought the T3 package was simply because I didn't like the native GPS (I love my TomTom GO 530), and have no real use for Cruise Control.

Now, I would like the following things done and I just don't know where to start,

* Plug my TomTom, audio out/in to the car stereo so I won't have to use that horrid FM transmitter, but unlike my wife's little cute Aygo, I paid almost £5000 more than what she paid and I didn't even get an AUX socket. I've tried reading the forums but I couldn't find something that answers how to add an AUX socket, or even better where to do it (not a hardware guy).

FYI, I run my Ipod via TomTom. Also I use TomTom as hands-free since my model doesn't come with Bluetooth.

* Mini-B (USB) cable to charge my mobile devices (like TomTom and iPod). Right now I'm using the socket inside the central console but this means running ugly cables all the way from the wrist support to the console (I rest most gear inside the Map compartment box... thingy) and run a cable on top of the ventilation shaft next to the steering wheel where I keep TomTom. (I use the TomTom adhesive pad to mount the TomTom by the way).

I was thinking if it would be possible to run a cable through the Map compartment by drilling a small hole somewhere at the back of it so everything will look a lot more nice and clean. The way I see it is by running "said" cable all the way back to the central console but this time all the way from inside.

Last and definitely least I would at some point in the future like to plug and house a Mini-ITX PC to my Prius like Prius Mac guy but the idea of installing CAN-view myself is enough to deter me from ever doing it. I'm good at building computers from scratch but that's as much as I'm willing to go.

Then run a USB camera from the back all the way to the car-puter and eventually plug TomTom or any other AUX device to the computer instead of an AUX port. (i.e. re-map so that the aux port will now point to the computer than the car's sound system and the computer will plug there instead... if that makes any sense at all).

Any help, advice would be much appreciated.

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Adding aux-in can be accomplished with AUX-BOX or similar device.

Routing your cables the way you want is possible. You just have to get into the center console. You can remove the center console by undoing all the screws inside the console. Once you remove the mat, you should see the screws. Remove the screws, and the console will come loose, and then you can do all the routing you desire.

Since you have a 2005 Prius, the MFD should be compatible with CAN-View, so you won't need to route it to the CarPC.

Have a look at -> this thread.. He steps through his CarPC installation which included installation of the AUX-BOX.

3. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have version 1 of my carpc available for sale. it uses mini-itx and runs 800mhz (rather than 1ghz available at the time) in a fanless configuration. it outputs video via rca in a format natively compatible with your mfd.

version 2 is a pair of nano-itx computers and i'm excessively proud of it...

~ dan ~