1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Audio Quality LE vs. XLE

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by Synergy3221, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Synergy3221

Synergy3221 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    HI Team,

Has anyone heard both the LE and XLE sound system quality? I've only had the base model system, and I'm wondering if its worth it to make the jump to the XLE for the two extra speakers (for a total of 8) vs the regular 6 in the LE? I do like a nice sound system and I always found the LE just acceptable.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have the base audio on our 2016 Prius and the JBL audio on the 2018 Prime. Assuming nothing changed between 2016 and 2021, the base audio is ok. Better than base audios of 5-10 years ago but the JBL audio is noticeably punchier and the bass is less muddied. Midrange is decent.

Classical, soft rock and pop seem to work best with the JBL audio. (With minor tweaks to bass, mid and treble). As long as you’re not expecting to be blown away (like with a Mark Levinson or Bowers & Wilkins system), you’ll be fine.

3. SciRunner

SciRunner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I have a 2021 XLE Prime (US market). XLE and LE come with 6 speakers. Limited trim gets the JBL 10-speaker system.

Limitation on XLE is the 11.6” nav unit does not work with Android Auto (carplay only) and no CD disc player. Most Entune 3.0 functions don't work on the XLE and Limited.

The LE audio unit may be more future proof than the 11.6 nav. The layout on the 11.6 nav is a distraction unless a major software update is pushed.

XLE gets 2 more years to test out Safety Connect but has less connected services functions.

My reason for XLE Prime: SofTex moonstone seats. I think not as durable as the true leather on my old Tundra and baby it like some expensive white Adidas Superstars sneakers. Qi charging, Auto ON/off headlights, SmartKey on three doors (front and hatch) with illuminated entry.

Really important for me is the Smart Charging Cable lock not available on the LE. Keeps pranksters from unplugging the cable. You can also set how the SmartLock works. I keep mine to auto lock once plugged in and manually unlock in case I walk by the car or just need to get something.