1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Audio question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by WNY-HYBRID, May 20, 2014.

1. WNY-HYBRID

WNY-HYBRID Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a base model. Standard radio. Thinking of adding an amp and subwoofer. Want to keep the factory radio.

Amp has high level inputs. Where would be a good place in the car it tap into the speaker wires for the rear?

Also, if I were to use a line out converter to add RCA cables.. Can I put this in in the rear of the car, or do I have to pull the stereo? Do you lose that speaker when using a converter, or does it go "in-line"? And that speaker still works...

If this has been answered before I apologize. I really don't want to tear apart the dash. I've seen self contained amp speaker combos that you tap power and ground, and a remote to a keyed source.. Then attach two speaker wires in the rear. I'd like that option.

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    the dash is very easy to disassemble, so don't be intimidated by it. it takes about 15 minutes to get the dash pulled apart down to the head unit. a few phillips screws, a 10mm nut driver, bunch of little clips, easy. the oe head unit is dookie. get a nice head unit and some good door speakers and you won't need an amp unless you really like it LOUD. if you must have an amp, put it in parallel with the speakers and you should still get plenty of sound out of the junky oe speakers, but the speakers are so cheep with magnets the size of a thimble, you really got to scrap the bad sounding oe system. your ears will thank you if you do.

3. WNY-HYBRID

WNY-HYBRID Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I really don't want to replace the factory radio.. But thanks anyways