1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Audio+Source+Apps Buttons Stopped Working

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by tigerdad, Nov 6, 2017.

1. tigerdad

tigerdad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a 2015 Prius Plug-in with 41K miles. Several buttons on my radio stopped working in the sense that they do nothing. AM and FM work and BT but only when I can select the mode through the "Mode" button on the steering wheel. AM/FM display correctly on the panel but when I'm in BT mode, the screen is black. I can't tell that I'm in BT mode other than the fact that music is on. There is no ipod mode.

Hard buttons:
    • Apps
    • Audio
    • Phone
    Touchscreen Buttons
    • Sound (beeps but does not offer ipod, BT choices anymore)
    I took the car to the Toyota dealer this morning and they said that my radio should be replaced. It has nothing to do with a software update. It's over $800 to get a replacement!! This is obviously a manufacture defect of some sort, probably related to software. I was reasonably pleased with the tech package on the Prius up until this. Prior to this failure, the radio fails to play anything other than the "Music" app (e.g. Pandora, Spotify, Podcasts) when in "iPod" source (screen just says "STOPPED").

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

mrlebop likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you looked around for a salvage unit on eBay or etc,?

3. tigerdad

tigerdad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No. My service advisor gave me a number to call Toyota to plead my case. My advisor said that I have good chance of getting a break from Toyota because of the low mileage and my long time loyalty to Toyota. I have over 30 years of purchasing loyalty with Toyota. I called Toyota and explained my situation and within 24 hours, they got back to me with an offer of covering 75% of the radio costs and all I would need to pay is $156 plus tax. I'm okay with that.

My confidence in the quality of Toyota products is diminished somewhat but their customer service keeps me coming back. I have another horror story about going to a "Jiffy-Lube"-like place for an oil change and smog test which resulted in a replacement of my 4Runner engine at 50K miles (at 90K the replacement engine cracked a cylinder) but that's another story. Ever since that, I've been very reluctant to take my Toyota's to non-Toyota mechanics other than a smog test.

N.J.PRIUS and bisco like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    couldn't agree more, congrats!(y)

Data Daedalus likes this.
  5. mrlebop

mrlebop Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This just happened to my 2012 Prius Plug-In. I can't use the Apps button (no respond when I press it), or select the Source tab on the Audio. I can only select from my presets, then use the scan to get to AM or FM channels other than my presets.

6. Deoc

Deoc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would say probably a connector inside the unit came lose, my stereo 2014 prius plug in is having similar problems as well no audio from bluetooth and usb, cutting audio sometimes buttons sometimes no working, I would say that the best option would be to replace it with an android unit that are oem looking, these units are much better with better gps and audio options.