1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

audio system differences by model

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by dlddvm, Jul 21, 2018.

1. dlddvm

dlddvm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm trying to decide between a Plus and a Premium, and there are two main features that I am concerned about. Apparently if I get the Plus I will no longer be able to unlock both front doors and the hatch like I can in my Gen II Prius now. That would be a real bummer.

But it appears that if I get the Premium to get the 3 door SKS, the audio system will no longer have a CD player because of the "upgrade". Is that true? I don't have a smart phone and have no need for all the app crap. I just want to play my CDs or my iPod. I also think I would prefer the smaller display screen like I have now.

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Correct; page 22 of the sales brochure (PDF) says the Plus has “Smart Key System on driver’s door,” while the Premium and Advanced have “Smart Key System on three doors.”
    Yes. The same page lists the three options for the audio system, and the Premium has the 11.6-inch display, without a CD player. Interestingly, it says the Advanced has the 11.6-inch display with a CD player, which is different from the 2017 version of the brochure (PDF), but I don’t see a CD slot in photos of 2018 Advanced cars offered for sale. I suppose the brochure might be wrong, or Toyota could have made a mid-year change.

GTprii likes this.
  3. ziggy29

ziggy29 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just bought a 2018 Advanced. It does *not* have a CD slot. Guess I'll be transferring a lot of my CDs to iPod and/or MP3s on a USB stick.....

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    isn't there a way to put your cd's on a stick or your iPod? i was a cd guy, but my son made me a stick and it is so much better.

5. ziggy29

ziggy29 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, you can easily transfer the CD tracks to a computer as MP3 files and then put them on a USB stick or an iPod, but you do lose some audio quality. I just copied about 100 MP3 and M4A tracks (M4A is an AAC format) to a USB stick and it seems to work just fine.

bisco likes this.
  6. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is support for up 320 kbps bit rate, while not "lossless", I doubt very many people can detect the (miniscule) drop in quality. The problem usually is that the ripping utility is not set for the highest quality (larger files).

7. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    you can always connect a cd-Walkman type player via the audio-in jack (right next to the usb plug)