1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Audio System Turns On on Bumps

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by SonomaJoe, Oct 17, 2021.

Tags:
  1. SonomaJoe

SonomaJoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    On my 2013 Prius v, the audio system now starts up, with the music on a thumb drive, after the car hits a big bump, about once every 50 miles.

I have removed and reinserted all five related fuses, one at a time, to see if an intermittency in any of those circuits has the same symptom, and could not replicate it.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any fixes?

2. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    No.................... but i do listen to music and podcasts on my external usb drive. never has came on by it's self.
    Does it only do it when drive inserted?

3. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you mean that you hit a bump every 50 miles and the problem only shows up when you hit a bump, or you once hit a big bump and ever since then the problem shows up about every 50 miles?

4. SonomaJoe

SonomaJoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Alright, I have experimented and can answer the comments above and the overall question.

The problem was that a sharp shock to the system caused the music system to come on and play the thumb drive, whether it started in the off condition or playing FM. This happened on average once every 50 miles, but I would imagine smooth and bumpy roads would drastically affect the rate of failure.

Observation shows that removing and reinstalling the thumb drive has the same behavior, so a poor connection to, or intermittent behavior within, the thumb drive is likely the problem.

Replacing the thumb drive with another thumb drive appears (149 miles later) to have stopped the problem. So I compute that I have 95% confidence that the problem is not with the car; it was either a poor thumb drive or it was simply not fully seated in the USB connector.

Air_Boss and burrito like this.
  5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Scientific method!