1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Augh!! P3000, P0A80, P3021, C1259 on an '07

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jerrymildred, May 29, 2017.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just did a full battery reconditioning on the wife's '07 (118,000 miles) using the Prolong charger. I've done this several times with all three Gen 2 Prii we've had. Never a problem.

I took it out for a test drive and it looked great for about five minutes and then the battery monitor went into yo-yo mode. Soon got the red triangle of death and other lights.

Checked with techstream and got the codes listed above. I cleared the codes, left techstream connected and monitored while taking a short drive of less than a mile. No more red triangle or any other warning lights, but block 11 voltage is making wild voltage swings and the battery fan is on red alert. All internal resistances are identical at 0.019 ohms.

I think I'll see if @TampaPrius.com can help me out tomorrow. For now, I think I'll see if I can enjoy the rest of the holiday. Can't afford a new battery now. Hoping a replacement block will buy time. Stay safe, my friends.

edthefox5 likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you charge first? I don't really like charging and discharging on a regular basis. The reason the battery lasts 10 years is because Toyota limits the charge and discharge to 40% and 80% range. If you continuously go outside that range, it'll shorten the lifespan of the battery.

I'm actually surprised the 07 battery failed so quickly. Maybe a good will warranty is in order?

#2 JC91006, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
  3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like a good plan.

Any chance block 11 is not properly torqued? Or that the wire crump at the ring terminal is cracked/corroded?

4. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. It was full and firmly pack with electrons. Charger was at 240V for several hours on the before reconditioning charge.

It's 95 degrees outside right now, so I'm not real eager to dive in, but with those tips, I'm tempted. I have most of the stuff already out of the way because I was going to take to to Todd in the morning. Now you have me thinking. ;) Thanks, Eric. By the way, there is magic marker writing on the battery which makes it look like it's been worked on in some fashion before. Doesn't say what was done, just that it was ready to install.

I'll let you know what develops.

5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How long did you let it sit between taking it off of the charger and prior to driving?

6. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Uh oh!! What was I thinking? <face palm!> I know I was supposed to let it set at least a half hour, but I think it was only maybe 5 minutes. Do you think that made a temporary situation or maybe really did damage block 11? :oops:

We were in a hurry to get started on a trip in the PiP.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Anything is possible. I know Jeff says to let it sit prior to running it around. I think at least an hour.

I finished our Prius up at 3 am this morning, then took it for a 40 mile run at 8 am. No issues:).

That might have something to do with it. But block 11 might have some issues going forward :(.

But the good thing is if you replace it, you have what you need to make it last(y).

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Well I'm another also taking advantage of the long holiday weekend to get in the multi-stage reconditioning process. I was "scheduled" to do it around the July 4th timeframe but I, too, saw a rapid blue bar/purple bar rise/fall after the car had sat for nearly a week in the heat. No codes though so fingers crossed! :whistle:

Edit: it was around this time last year that I had a failure and bought the grid charger as part of the repair process.

#8 fotomoto, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
    jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can take apart the battery yourself, it's already out of the car right? It only takes 30 minutes to disassemble the entire pack safely with an impact wrench or driver. Replace the failed modules, reassemble and charge

10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've never had an issue either. I have a feeling I shot myself in the foot, trying to do the test drive before we went on our nano-vacation. Shooda waited till we got home, but thought we might be gone longer.

I took it for another spin just now. It went longer before failing and block 11 didn't make as wild of swings as before, but it finally popped up with a P3021. I sent Todd at Tampa Hybrids an email via his web site to give him the codes and a heads up that I'll limp in his direction in the morning. Maybe I'll get to see a world class hybrid surgeon at work. ;)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yeah the rush may have done in Block 11:(.

Maybe @jeff652 has some advice?

jerrymildred likes this.
  12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Next time you don't want to wait after a charge and balance, start the car and shift into neutral. That way the car doesn't charge the battery. Turn on your ac on high and let the battery drain down to about 3 bars on the SOC. Then reset your 12v for 1 minute and you're done.

But I'm thinking what killed block 11 is the deep discharge on a weak module that probably reversed charged a cell

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, it's still in the car. From what I've seen, you can fix it in the car, but it looks like it would kill your back. Todd should have the modules, so it's probably a lot faster to take it there. Wife will use my car tomorrow morning, to take a friend to the doctor. Then she can come get me if I need a ride home so I can go to work Wednesday. I need to make an appearance at the office now and then so I can keep getting paid. LOL! If I had modules, I'd be game, but I kind of need to get this fixed fairly quickly. But can't spend a ton either. It's awkward timing right now.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good advice. It's actually not that I didn't want to wait; I just got cocky because I've done it several time and forgot that I needed to wait because I was working from memory other than a print I made of the discharge steps and levels and the bulb change points.

I don't think I discharged deeply enough to reverse a cell. I didn't have time Sunday morning to go clear to 17 volts before we had to leave. So I stopped at 29 volts. All the other discharges were to spec. I probably did it by overcharging on startup. And yes, at this age, it was likely already on its way out. I just made it die sooner.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    jerry, jerry, jerry, how many times do i have to tell you?(n)

WilDavis and jerrymildred like this.
  16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Apparently more than you already have. :D

Battery's all unhooked and ready to come out except for the last 3 or 4 bolts. Tomorrow, the fun begins.

In the morning, I'll see if Todd can help me for a price I can afford and if he has the part I need. He's expecting me. If not, I'll be reaching out to @ericbecky to see if he can send me the part.

edthefox5, Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh that sucks Jerry sorry to hear that. Its the damn heat I swear its so hot down here. Probably just one module that's gone south. I'll probably be right behind you. Maybe Todd has some G3 modules he can hook you up. I watch this thread with great interest and the best of luck let us know.

jerrymildred likes this.
  18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since the battery pack is out of the car you should remove the bus bars and just soak them in vinegar overnight. It should be corrosion free when you reinstall it back in the car

19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not sure you want the gen3 stuff. I think my 2010 is about to go, SOC going up and down like crazy. Seems the older gen2 modules were best

edthefox5 likes this.
  20. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How many miles on your 2010? No reconditioning for its battery?