1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured August EV Sales

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Team ChargePoint, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Team ChargePoint

Team ChargePoint Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    August Sales! See the chart in full on InsideEV

From InsideEV's:
    We estimate a total of 36,380 plug-in electric vehicles were sold in the U.S. in August, compared to last year’s 16,514 and last month’s 29,514. Based on automakers’ sales reports and our estimates, 190,046 plug-in cars have been delivered through the end of August 2018. Needless to say, it was the best month of all time by a long shot! Not to mention the extreme level of other records broken.

Now, four out of five months in 2018 have claimed a spot on our list of top months of all time for U.S. EV sales.
    [​IMG]

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Wow! Not only did the model 3 outsell the Prime in August, but the S & X as well ~

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I cannot tell you Calfornia 3rd quarter %plug-in sales until late Nov, but so far Ca. is running about 54% sales on both BEV and PHEV which could be historical highs, presumably related to Model 3 but also the Ca. car pool HOV sticker policy change, requiring HOV lane users to get new Plug-in vehicles to keep their free HOV incentives.

Actually I've been tracking that % sales in Ca data for some years, so I have to say, mid-year trends often do not hold to year end. So we really have to wait until late-Feb_2019 to get the year end Ca Plug-in sales for 2018 from the CNCDA.org. But I am thinking, could be a whopper this year.

#3 wjtracy, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    iplug and bisco like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great to see m3 production firing on all cylinders. ( is there an ev phrase i can replace that with?:oops:)

looks like prime has hit the top of the bell curve

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The tesla model 3 ranked above all other cars in the US in $ sales and 5th in unit sales in August, trailing only the camry, civic, accord and corrola.
    How The Tesla Model 3 Is The #1 Selling Car In The U.S.

If we include trucks and SUVs the Ford F-series still is way ahead. Tesla model 3 ranked 18th in unit sales in US in August which is quite an accomplishment. I expect it to climb to the low teens in December, maybe even the top 10 if they can get bottle necks like the paint shop (they made 2 colors specials to help) cleared away.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is leaf widely distributed? the numbers are disturbing

after the top 8, it's a pretty poor showing.

when will the hunday hype turn into reality?

7. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The leaf sells well in other markets, but it doesn't compete well in the US. That may change next year when the 60 kwh version comes out and tesla no longer has the full tax credit.
    Nissan Sells 43,000 LEAFs In Europe In 2018: 70% To ICE Owners

iplug likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hope so. i hope it isn't because of the negative press around the lack of liquid cooling

9. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For all the bad press surrounding Tesla's production, if my math is right, it looks like YTD Tesla (s+3+x) outsells the next top 10 models combined. And if you exclude the Prime, it outsells everything else combined that has a plug. And if they continue at even close to this rate for the rest of the year they will be outselling everyone else combined.

Mike

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    imo, poor sales is because the word is out. No traction pack thermal management means premature death. Nissan ought to be glad there's still a handful of suckers that still don't have a clue as to their battery's serious shortcomings /current events.
    it'll be interestig to get john's take on that likelihood.

11. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Energizing all wires?
    :(

Team ChargePoint and bisco like this.
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    'currently' 'resisting' the naysayers, & staying 'grounded'. Quite 'shocking'! It likely htz the competition. but that's their own 'fault'.
    Ohm my!

3PriusMike and Zythryn like this.
  13. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Minor affect would be my guess. I can't recall ever having someone mention or ask about it that wasn't an EV owner.
    More likely, the current Leaf simply doesn't match up to either the Bolt or Model 3.
    When we see the 2019 Leaf I expect that will change and we will see Leaf sales in the US grow.

iplug and bisco like this.
  14. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This chart is like comparing apple and oranges... Tesla's numbers are based on how many vehicles they can build in relation to many years of buyers on a waiting list. Whereas all the other EV maker's numbers are based on how many they actually sold with no waiting list and the chart in no way reflects how many vehicles they can manufacture. So you can't really draw any conclusions yet, other than Tesla has an near endless waiting list of buyers and the faster they can build 'em, the faster they can sell them, which isn't news to anyone.

On a side note, I've recently been driving around in the Sacramento area, which is one of the best places in the world to buy a used Prius, and I'm seeing loads of low-mileage Gen2 Prius from private sellers on Craigslist for less than $5K. Amazing!!! I've also seen some Model 3 Tesla's driving around. It's hands down, the most beautiful EV car I've ever seen!!! Considering how ugly Prius are and how every year they get even uglier, I suspect sales are gonna fall so hard now that's there's so much hybrid competition that the Prius line will be discontinued in less than 4 years.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i feel the same way about m3 sales. on one hand, it's a great ruction number. and no one can deny the pent up demand.
    but i'm still waiting to see the other end of the tunnel, where the two intersect.

hopefully, tesla will keep driving prices down and introduce more models to keep increasing demand.

16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The new Leaf just arrived this year, so it may not be out to all regions yet.

The Ioniq Electric is being held back by an under supply of batteries. Hyundai has limited it to California, maybe the west coast, until they can secure higher production.

PriusCamper likes this.
  17. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The '18 Leaf was a great step forward, but is still a step behind the US market leader.
    If the '18 Leaf had been available in 2010, I actually would have traded in my Prius for that, rather than a Tesla. 150 miles of range is, for me, the sweet spot.
    That said, once the '19 Leaf is available with its 200+ mile range, I expect sales to grow.

iplug likes this.
  18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes, I think the 100 mile plus range BEV should do well with the reductions in price that plug ins have experienced. The Leaf and Ioniq Electric starting MSRP are under $30k, which helps on the psychological front.

19. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Revolting, time to bolt out of here.

20. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This:D

Even in California it's quite bad, no Ioniq PHEV or EVs in inventory in NorCal for months. Before that you might get one before it sold a few days later. Went to the local dealership yesterday and they have no idea when the drought will end.