1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured August EV Sales

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Team ChargePoint, Sep 13, 2018.

1. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Wow, you in the market for a second car? Since you have these priced out, suggests maybe someone is browsing?:D

Would want to add DC fast charging to the Bolt, but that's only $750 extra. That's a great deal!

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm looking around, but the pip is hard to beat at 85-90% ev. i could be swayed by a 100 mile bev with as much or more space. getting tired of all these tiny bevs.:)

iplug likes this.
  3. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yeah, we're in a similar boat. Not getting the PiP cargo space and accessibility would be a compromise in almost everything out there.

Not a hatch, but the nice sized Clarity trunk would work for us. But it's a bit too big for our tastes and the BEV version range is a bit anemic.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    clarity would be nice for my wife's hycam replacement, since toyota seems to have no intention of coming out with a plug in.

same reason i haven't traded for a prime, they really blew the hatch space. everything else is great.
    it killed me when they were netting around 20k.

iplug likes this.
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    you'd get double the EV range w/ the plugin clarity - & it has almost as much room as the Camry. But then we'd have to shun you ... even more than usual.
    ;)

padroo likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that might be a good thing.:cool:

less trunk space? that won't cut it. she's committed, but not to the point of pain and suffering.

7. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I have one of those EV.... and made by Toyota. And then try to tell us we don’t have 4 hours to waste and stop making it.... it a Rav4ev gen 2.

bisco likes this.
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It has a bigger trunk than the previous Camry hybrids, and the same EPA specification as the current one.

Except that was outsourced to Tesla. The 100% Toyota BEV of the time was the iQ EV that had 38 miles of range.

2013 Scion iQ EV

9. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    2nd Gen Leaf has tons of cargo space. Just have to be prepared for some good ol' degradation.

iplug and bisco like this.
  10. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Tesla made the EV component because Toyota sucked at EV with the iQ. Tesla did not assembled it, it was Toyota that assembled it in Canada along with the other Rav. They only made it because they couldn’t sell in CA if they didn’t.

Hell. Toyota could not even commit to their old hybrid marketing crap to have hybrid in every car in 2020.

11. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Oh.... Toyota doing that with the Rav again, this time in China. A Rav with a Chinese EV component.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    as much room as prius?

13. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    From hatch to back seats not as long, but depth is significantly better if you don’t mind not having a flat or nearly flat hatch. Depending on one’s needs this could be +/-.

At this point it’s the leading candidate to replace my wife’s 2016 30kWh Leaf. So far looks to be lowest price/kWh for us in a new BEV. Waiting to see what other options/incentives present themselves as could change by April when the lease is up.

bisco likes this.
  14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    it's not that Toyota is bad at making electric vehicles. Several of the gen1 RAV4ev's (some put into production back in the late 1990's - & now have over 100k miles) - are still alive & kicking, with their nickel metal hydride traction packs. Toyota made those all on their own.
    It's really more a profit thing. Toyota, like other manufacturers make a boat load on land barges, which they (& Ford & GM) sell a lot of, whereas electric cars may be at best, under 10% of the market. And they have to split that <10% market share now with Tesla GM Ford Kia Hyundai et al. Not near as much profit, especially selling in low numbers. It's only now that Toyota is willing to say they will finally & seriously get into the game.
    What may truly be a game-changer is that Tesla is preparing to manufacture their semi tractor. The semi tractor may bring in enough money (& understanding of pickup / suv driver's hauling requirements) to scale it down to our soccer moms Suburban size vehicles. That's when the REAL anti Musk/Tesla brouhaha will get seriously nasty. Prepare for a whole lot more fake news.

#54 hill, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Merkey likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, i'm going to have to look at one in person i guess.

iplug likes this.
  16. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    2018 Prius - 27.4 cubic feet
    2018 Leaf - 30.0 cubic feet

bisco likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nice, but that can be deceiving. What is your opinion?
    I prefer width and depth over height.

18. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    To be fair, I haven't even got close to filling our Leaf up yet or trying to max it out. The flatness of the PiP definitely has some benefits, especially if you are going to IKEA or hauling something like that. I would guess similarly the Leaf would work better for hauling odds and ends type items. Also, if I had to guess I would think the width and the depth are pretty similar on a Leaf compared to a Prius. I'm sure there are a few videos out there showing off packing/luggage space of a Leaf.

bisco likes this.
  19. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Having owned 4 different Prius models and a 2015 Leaf...the Prius is usually much better in terms of space for big items.
    I've driven a 2018 Leaf but don't recall the trunk details.
    The Leaf had much deeper trunk -- nice sometimes. But it is much easier to load big packages, suitcases, bicycles, flatscreen TVs in the Prius.

Mike

bisco likes this.
  20. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The Prius also has a wider mouth/lift-gate opening. Well, the mouth is on the front side, but let's leave the back side unnamed.

bisco likes this.