1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Aussi Powerwall, Musk pisses off climate deniers

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Nov 23, 2017.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Well yes, both used Tesla batteries, but the Powerwall installed in australia had standard samsung battery cells, not the model 3 improved panasonic cells made at the gigafactory. The construction of the modules also didn't have anything to do at the bottle neck in the gigafactory to make model 3 specific modules (model S/X modules are smaller and different). So no, other than management tasks, they have different people and parts, so no conflict.

Model S and X production at the Fremont assembly plant are being reduced this quarter to move resources to the model 3. Model 3 appears to be tesla's highest priority. The solar roof plant was also delayed because of model 3 manufacturing issues, as this might have taken management resources away.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    no - modern grid interconnectivity is such that as demand Ebbs & flows, facilities can properly regulate. Perhaps what you miss is that Australia is coming out of the Stone Age - power wise, & trying to get rid of it coal burners. Watch the video.

It may help for folks understand better - that this is just a start - & not meant to be a cure. It doesn't make sense to complain that, "oh my God this is not enough!"
    What should they rather .... do nothing? Give aussies a chance. The future is coming, & it's just around the corner. Some will say, "we are moving too fast! " while others - "we're moving too slow!" the rest will say, "chill..." or, "let's see you do better yourself"

#22 hill, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    RCO, Trollbait and bwilson4web like this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    hill, Ashlem, telmo744 and 2 others like this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I am not a utility engineer but I get the impression HPR, the Tesla battery farm, responded fast enough, even though not taking up all of the missing load, that it reduced what the slower to respond, traditional on-demand generators had to perform. A pumped reservoir system would be the next fastest to respond but you need the geography to make it work.

Bob Wilson

Ashlem, fuzzy1, RCO and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, if that one Tesla battery station did this, I wonder what several dozen of them could do, at a fraction of the cost of having to keep those other stations on standby mode.

RCO and bwilson4web like this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Tesla battery did not resolve the situation but it reduced the effect and responded quicker than anything else.

Ashlem likes this.
  7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Co-located with either wind farms or at power ingress lines to urban areas. By wind farms, low losses charging. By urban areas, low losses on demand, isolated from climate events at wind farm(s).

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    From memory, ~400-500 MW loss with ~100 MW response. Add five more and it would have been been seamless while the secondary power systems 'spun up.' But it is also a perfect example of what our hybrids have been doing for two decades.

The hybrid battery buffers the ICE to minimize operating inefficiently. At low power speeds, the engine cycles ON/OFF while the battery fills in the OFF periods and charges during the ON periods.

Bob Wilson

RCO, fuzzy1 and Prodigyplace like this.
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Traditional power grids need a 'spinning reserve' big enough to cover the largest single machine (generator), so that a single machine suddenly tripping out doesn't take down the whole grid. More reserves would cover larger system failures.

These battery systems certainly ought to fit into this reserve strategy, providing faster response while allowing greater time to spin up and warm up traditional machines. And with no smokestacks and other traditional siting constraints, they could be distributed more strategically and widely with lower environmental impact.

Though I'm not so sure about the 'fraction of the cost' claim. These plants will probably need to stand on their other merits.

#29 fuzzy1, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  10. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Pumped water is not faster than batteries. Pumped water is cheaper than batteries if you have it at the right place ;-) Think of it this way, batteries are easy to locate anywhere you need them, and can react in seconds. Pumped storage if it is good in about a minute, but it often is not where you need it. Round trip pumped storage is around 80% efficient, and normally built to be run for 6 hours or more. Batteries typically in a grid application are specified to be able to give peak power for 5 minutes to 2 hours depending on the application. IIRC this tesla battery can provide it for about an hour.

The batteries didn't take much of the load (energy) but stabilized the grid. The spinning resource took 8 seconds from the alert. The battery 4 seconds, but it didn't get the alert, it just monitored the grid ;-) Idealy if you had a battery to cover the first 5 minutes of a problem, then pumped storage or fast ccgt natural gas, the battery could give the time to diagnose and start the other energy to protect the grid. Currently on the australian grid there is coal operating inefficiently to give grid stability.

from the link

I don't think the batteries are really good for energy, but are great for short term power. Australian coal power plants take a long time to start up, so unless you have a better back up, they need to be spinning, just in case. As bob mentioned pumped hydro, that is probably a great solution for australia. In the us batteries could be used until natural gas units can be fired up, which is much faster than coal.

RCO likes this.
  11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    this read may throw a little coal on the subject
    ;)
    Tesla big battery outsmarts lumbering coal units after Loy Yang trips : RenewEconomy

12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    A.D.D. in full swing ... I humbly apologize for skimming.
    :oops:

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Don't feel bad, I noticed a Prius Prime review and didn't realize it was probably 'bot' generated using copyrighted material. I had not considered:

Your post in the thread Thread repository for ALL non-PriusChat reviews of the 2017 Prius Prime was deleted. Reason: These type of videos obviously use text-to-speech programs and sometimes even copyrighted video from other sources so I tend to avoid them and obviously don't give them the view count

I've only seen one YouTube channel deleted before for copyright violation. Now it looks like more 'Bot' BS. I'll take more care in the future.

Bob Wilson

15. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I felt fortunate to see that story early. We all miss things on threads.
    I enjoy your Tesla insights even though I will never be able to own one.

RCO likes this.