1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aussie Needs Help Deciding! Model S or Prius?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Chris_007b, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Chris_007b

Chris_007b New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi all,

I am a first time poster I've just signed up to this forum, I do not have a hybrid vehicle yet but I am thinking of buying as my current vehicle needs to be retired for scrap.

So I have some questions google wasn't very helpful, really I just want your advice and opinions.

I am from Sydney Australia and recharge outlets out and about are few and far between.
    I have limited the type of car that we will purchase into two categories lavish and economical.
    On the lavish side I would consider a Tesla model S which obviously is a large car on the economical side I am leaning towards a Toyota Prius.
    In Sydney there are no incentives to buy a hybrid, no government rebates etc so the cost consideration should be totally covered by myself.

Sorry I am jumping around a bit here, depending on the car of choice this car would either be the wife's car which would only do probably 10 kms a day mon - fri and max 120 kms over sat and sun (prius). If we ended up with a model S it will go to me and the travel would be 120 kms mon - sun.

I really want to do something good for the environment given that buying a car is not optional however what powers it is.

We currently have one child perhaps another in the future, both cars with either purpose suit the daily grind or the weekend away.

bearing in mind that right now recharge stations are few and far between i will really only be charging the car at home from a non renewable energy source and paying in full for that.

What would you recommend or suggest, am I trying to hard to do the right thing?
    Long term I wanted to install solar on my house and also some sort of battery solution which would charge the car also but that is years away this car purchase will happen in the next 6 months.

Oh any one here with either the above cars how many kms do you get out of a charge and do you have any idea how many kw/h it takes to do a full charge?

If i need to provide more detail let me know

Thanks in advanced.
    Chris

Burna J likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

cost is not the primary concern, and what will the second vehicle be?

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome!
    A Prius prefers to be driven rather than sitting around. Being idle for long periods of time may cause battery issues.

I know @alanclarkeau is in Australia and has a 2016 Prius. He may be able to better answer some of your questions or direct you. I have tagged him so he will see this thread.

I believe Toyota's plugin, the Prius PHV ( Prius Prime in North America & here) is not available in Australia. I believe you may have a Corolla Hybrid, though.

4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome - I'm in Sunny Queensland, south east corner (which I think has been cooler than you guys in the south).

If it was only for 10km/day + weekend, I don't think you could really justify a PRIUS (<$40,000). I do 16,000km/yr and I'm marginal with making it worth getting a PRIUS over say a CERATO, FOCUS, GOLF or i30.

If I were doing 120km/day 7 days a week, PRIUS would be ideal.

PRIUS is a HYBRID car, it has a large battery pack, it has 2 electric motors supplemented by a petrol motor driving the wheels through a very simple epicyclic gear-train - it effectively is a Constant Velocity drive-train, with the 3 power sources varying their speeds to seamlessly drive the car. The petrol motor runs maybe 70-80% of the time, but not driving the car alone, but assisted by the electric motors - which is why it is about twice as economical as say a CERATO or COROLLA.

PRIUS doesn't plug into the wall - they do have a version overseas which does.

But if you want a Plug-In HYBRID here, I think you've got Mitsusbishi Outlander PHEV truck, AUDI e-TRON, BMW 330e, MERC (??not sure which model - C Class I think) - or a VOLVO XC90 Hybrid which is close to the TESLA starting $$$. BUT - Hyundai IONIQ is due to be released in Australia mid 2018 - both in a HYBRID form as well as a PLUG-IN HYBRID. I looked at Plug-In Hybrids when I bought 19 months ago, but wasn't prepared to put up almost double the $$$ for one, or drive a truck (Outlander). I've got roof-top SOLAR at home, so will look seriously at IONIQ when it arrives. Reportedly, IONIQ is very similar in both economy and size to PRIUS, but with a Plug-In version.

TESLA is big $$$ - the new Nissan LEAF isn't here yet, but maybe late 2018. It has had good reports overseas, expected to be about 1/3 the price of TESLA and with nearly the same range as the base TESLA - NISSAN Australia's website has a bit of info I believe.

My PRIUS, with a mix of 65% motorway/35% suburban/city has averaged 4.1l/100k over 26,000km. I'm retired, so try to avoid peak-hour traffic which is where PRIUS actually improves - but a normal car gets worse. If I go for a drive in heavy traffic to Sunshine Coast return (250km), it will average about 3.6l/100.

(My wife with an Automatic FOCUS is averaging about 8.5 with a similar mix of driving. Brother-in-law, similar mix in a VW GOLF is averaging about 7l/100km.)

As a car, it is quite a good drive - but not ground-breaking - a little different from driving a normal hatchback - have a long test-drive, so you get used to the drive-train.

It has some great technology - RADAR Cruise, HeadsUp display, lane wandering detection Auto Emergency Braking etc. The top model (and extra $8000!!) has blind-spot detection and a few other extras. I find the seats aren't as good as some other cheaper hatchbacks (or new CAMRY HYBRID), and I don't like the RADIO/CD which is simply a piece of touch-sensitive glass, with no tactile buttons or knobs other than a couple of buttons on the steering wheel, and the "pseudo buttons" on the screen, which change position and function depending - like your smartphone, but unlike a smartphone, you don't want to be continually looking. TOYOTA has listened to the gripes about the "no-button/knob" infotainment, and put a proper outfit in the new CAMRY HYBRID.

Handling and roadholding, a little held back by the ECO tyres isn't as good as say FOCUS, but I guess on-par with CERATO (both of which were close-runners when I bought last year).

5. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello @Chris_007b welcome to Prius Chat. There are a few Australian members on here, but I think with the Prius Hatchback there is a 1.8 litre internal combustion which charges the Hybrid Vehicle Battery without the need to ever plug into the grid to charge up.

PS, my post was interupted by prolonged family phone call coming in.

6. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TRUE - we don't get the Plug-In version.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did someone shut chris down?(n)

8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you know of another Aussie here who might be closer to the OP ?

9. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @bisco Last seen 7hrs 2p mins ago.....

bisco likes this.
  10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Chris_007b I am in North America so actual model numbers won't match but the fundamental cars are similar.

The more you drive, the 'cheaper' the Prius will be. If you are only going 10 km, the engine will still be warming up, and not in the most economical mood. No matter how cold it is outside by 30 km the engine is warmed up and driving economically. from there until infinity (or you run out of gas) you get very good fuel economy. (I have a graph that starts at 0 MPG and climbs to a 50+ MPG plateau, You would start at a infinitely high liters/100Kms and sink to a very low plain of liters/100kms over time. 10 kms is not going to be enough to reach that plain year round, I would be surprised if it was not JUST reaching the plain in Summer.

For the 10 kms every day driver, I would not hope to ever make back my hybrid investment. The 120 kms weekends will prove it CAN be economical, but not happen often enough for payback. I would get the cheapest car that she enjoyed. (buying her a car she does not enjoy is always a bad plan)

120 kms 6 days a week is much more a range where you will spend plenty of time on that low plain of low fuel usage. I drove 55 miles each way, which I am translating as 180 km a day, and paid for my Prius in 3 years versus buying a cheaper car that got normal fuel economy. (I am skipping the math as almost all the units are different between the US and AUS, I will convert badly, I just know it)

For you the green line would descend, rather than climb as I use distance per volume (MPG) and you use volume per distance. (L/100km)
    [​IMG]

For many drivers, this graph is hopelessly complicated by elevation gain, speed limit changes, etc. I live on an alluvial plain where I gain 30 meters in 250 km of driving at 90 km/h, so my graph is simpler.

#10 JimboPalmer, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  11. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no, sorry.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    me neither.

13. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unless he drives a lot more than he stated, a Hybrid may not be in his best interest.

RCO likes this.
  14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @AussieOwner is in Sydney I believe...

@Chris_007b , there are a number of members here with both a Model S and a Prius (or had a Prius). People like @Zythryn I will change your title so hopefully it'll catch more attention.

15. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the forum!
    Great questions, unfortunately I know little about the grid or direction of energy in Australia.
    There are a number of thing to consider. First, double check the availability of chargers where you travel. There are a number of Superchargers by the coast that may meet your needs.
    Second, are you considering new only, or also used?

Off hand, your best bet may be getting a Prius (is a Prius Prime an option?). That may allow you to accelerate your long term solar plan. Then when it is time to retire the Prius, or Prime, the Model 3, along with other options may give you many more choices.

Alternatively, if the expenditure wouldn’t delay the solar panels and the grid is cleaner than, or the same as the gasoline for you, the Model S is a game changer.

The Prime may be a nice intermediary. As most days you could be under electric power. On the longer trips, you will use some gas, but you have the flexibility.

The priority of solar panels depends a bit on the amount of renewables that are part of your grid. If the grid doesn’t have many renewables, the solar panels become a higher priority and the Prius/Prime looks like a clearer winner.

Clear as mud, right ;)

16. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sadly, PRIME isn't in TOYOTA's sights - they've said NO to us. Probably because there is very little interest in EVs, PHEVs or indeed Hybrids here - absolutely no concessions or incentives, and very little infrastructure.

There are almost no EVs available - TESLA and i3 (and i8) I think is about it. LEAF and iMiev stopped coming about 4 years ago.

BUT - there are some other PHEVs coming - IONIQ is coming soon, and VW is talking about the PHEV GOLF. And the new LEAF is coming but not for another 12 months, and maybe the RENAULT EV.

RCO likes this.
  17. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to hear that. How clean is the grid power in Sydney?

18. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, not sure, but getting greener by the year. I believe traditionally it has been primarily Black coal - with some hydro. In recent years, there has been an expansion of SOLAR, both in farms and rooftop, Gas, Biomas, wind, landfill biogas and a new hydro scheme proposed - etc. The tricky bit is that there is a grid connection to Queensland and Victoria which could mess up any calculations.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and with model s, make sure you are comfortable with supercharger locations.

whoops, i see that you said public chargers are few. how much do you pay for electricity and petrol?

20. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @hkmb is a Prius owner in Sydney, I think. Perhaps he can add some local perspective.

#20 Prodigyplace, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Zythryn likes this.